Premium Bonds - Are they a good investment?

Are they a good investment?

We have some dated back to when they were first introduced and I’m sure they have become stuck in the works of ERNIE somewhere!:lol: Strange that the more recent bonds appear to generate more wins than those that are about 40 years old.

1 Like

While savings rates are so low as to be practically non-existant they are probably not such a bad deal Mags - especialy as any wins are tax free. I too have ancient Bonds which Ernie has totally forgotten :frowning:

We’ve had several £50 and a few £100 wins over the years but I do wonder what has happened with the old-fashioned looking bonds:lol:

It may be worth cashing them in and re-investing;-)

I have some old premium bonds, you have to buy them by the £100 blocks now don’t you?

At least you don’t lose your money as in stocks and shares, you don’t get interest on it though and it devalues over the years.

I got some last year and have won £25 :lol:

Maybe one day it’ll be the big one - although haven’t they halved the prize sizes now?

Well done on your win Azz, don’t forget I’m ahead of you in the queue for the big one!:lol:

Yes, the prize list has gone right down now - there is only 1 £1,000,000 prize and the lower denominations have been greatly reduced.

Haven’t got any Premium Bonds :frowning: but good luck to those of you who have

The £50 prizes have become £25. I got one the other day.
My excitement when the brown envelope with a yellow inside arrived on the mat was short lived when I found the usual prize had been halved :-(.

I couple of years ago I received two £50s on the same day.

I didn’t realise that Meg, thanks, you’ve saved me from a shock when my next win eventually arrives!:lol:

A few years back -having had no success in 13 years we sold our bonds --just keeping the £2 one we first bought --wonder what our odds are now --hahaha

Just announced that the prize fund is going up in Oct.

If you hold the Max it goes up on average from 10 wins a year to 15

That’s good news Galty…:smiley:

I have nowhere near the Maximum though:-(

My logic tells me that Ernie IS ‘random’ yet my friend who was working in the post office through the early years [when you could claim the small winnings at the post office] -ran out of space to stamp ONE particular premium bond…?

Glad they are putting it back up!

I do hope it is random… maybe some people are just very lucky :lol:

Well I didn’t win the million this month :frowning:

I don’t even know when they draw it lol - is it the first of every month?

Yep, 1st of the month for the top prizes, Azz - then the second or third day after for all the smaller prizes.

That’s handy to know - thanks Mags!

Wonder if they’re with the times and email you if you win thesedays :lol:

You can check if you’ve won anything [U]here[/U], Azz … the current month’s wins will show on the 3rd day of the month or thereabouts;-)

You will need to enter your holder’s number…:wink:

Thanks Mags - I didn’t know that!

Fingers crossed for next month then eh :lol: