Premium Bonds - Are they a good investment?

Hi Azz :-)I have never had a ‘big win’ but notification of the little ones usually arrive towards the end of the month.

If you’re fortunate enough to win the £1m you can expect a phone call on the first day :wink:

I have always received my smaller wins by the 17th/18th of the month. I think the larger amounts may be paid out earlier but I’m not absolutely sure about that;-)

All my small wins came between the 9th to the 16th of the month most cheques dated the 7th or 8th.

The one £500 I won came around the 5th dated the 3rd

We had a few p.bonds but recently cashed them in and opened up savings accounts for the grandchildren. We were lucky enough to get 6% interest tax free on their accounts.

My neighbour told me that he always puts money on the Irish lottery and he says he has had several good wins. P.bonds will never give any interest, like lotteries, so I don’t think I would put them into the investment category.

No win on the Premium Bonds this month :frowning: … here’s hoping for better luck next month!

You know, my two have had premium bonds since birth and not one a thing. They are now 33 and 36 years old.

That’s a bit disheartening, Mary :frowning:

Maybe they’ll get a big win soon and share some with me? The family gave the bonds to them as presents when they werre born.

I have had premium bonds for over 50yrs and never won anything.

I’ve had a few wins of £25, £50 and £100, nothing bigger - though I look forward to the day when a heavy cheque will drop through the letterbox!:lol:

Had a £25 win last month and lost the cheque.:twisted:

Had 3 £25 wins this month, have to be a bit more careful:lol:

Well done Galty…shame you lost the first cheque!

Well done Galty … make sure you bank your current cheques straight away! :wink:

My bonds come up most months usually only £25 but sometimes I get lucky and it is more. My brother-in-law, who works for the Treasury, advised me to put the maximum amount in PBs, and I am certainly getting a better return on them than I am getting on my savings account.

I won 2 x £25 this month with my Bonds. Better than nowt, and certainly better than any interest rate a bank is offering.

Congratulations Welsh Dragon - “better than nowt” now nowt sounds a bit Derbyshire to me - or at least Up North :lol:

PS - Welcome to the forum.

Nah! I am a southerner through and through. :smiley:

Thanks for the welcome. :slight_smile:

A £25 win this month, better than nothing but I do wish my numbers would be picked in the higher slots! ;-):lol:

Well done Mags…maybe next time in the higher slots!!!

Thanks Merz … we can but hope!!! :lol: