Platinum Jubilee

You know things are tight when you can only afford two Morris dancers :wink:

3 Likes

So colorful!

lol that puzzled me for a second.

Oh…Kardassians! :smiley:

Londonist says:-

Trooping The Colour takes place on Thursday
First things first: this is no ordinary weekend in London. Certain areas in central London (The Mall, St James’s, Buckingham Palace and surrounds) will be very busy. There will also road closures all over the place due to parades, street parties and other events, so check your journey before you travel!

JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS: After months of hype, the Platinum Jubilee week is finally here, with the official celebrations taking place over the four-day weekend. Looking for somewhere to celebrate? Our Jubilee events guide includes exhibitions, family activities and other special events.

ROYAL AFTERNOON TEAS: Or you could treat yourself to a limited edition Royal-themed afternoon tea to celebrate the occasion.

BANK HOLIDAY: Keen to make the most of the four-day weekend, but not exactly dying to wave a Union Flag about? Take a look at these things to do over the bank holiday weekend, covering everything from walking tours to green spaces, boating, visiting pubs, and having a mooch around London’s craft or book shops — not a cardboard corgi in sight.

Royal Parks website says:-

The Royal Parks are delighted to play host to events as part of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 2022. Those coming to join the celebrations and enjoy the parks are advised to plan ahead and refer to the information below. For further details, please refer to the Platinum Jubilee website.

## Frequently Asked Questions

### What events are hosted in The Royal Parks?

The Royal Parks will host The Queen’s Birthday Parade (Trooping the Colour) on Thursday 2 June on Horse Guards Parade and en route along The Mall. On Saturday 4 June the Platinum Party at the Palace takes place outside Buckingham Palace, around the Queen Victoria Memorial. On Sunday 5 June the Platinum Jubilee Pageant parades around St James’s Park – along The Mall, around the front of Buckingham Palace and along Birdcage Walk.

### How can I watch the events and where can I get the best views?

Although the ticketed seating areas for the events are now sold out, there are public viewing areas along The Mall. On Saturday 4 June and Sunday 5 June there will be a large screen to watch the events in St James’s Park. Those without seated tickets to the events are advised to arrive early for the best views. Please note that attaching items to trees or climbing trees, railings, fences, statues, buildings or structures is not permitted in the Royal Parks.

### Are the parks still open the public?

Some areas of St James’s Park and The Green Park and the space outside Buckingham Palace have restricted access, but the majority of the park space is open and free to enter. On Saturday and Sunday there may be a need to close all access routes into the park for crowd management purposes.

### How can I get to the parks?

TfL have a dedicated webpage with travel information for the Platinum Jubilee weekend. Please check before you travel as central London and routes into it are expected to be busy.

I’ll be celebrating by going to the pub and doing British things.

God Save The Queen !

1 Like

There are a few events happening in our local park which I hope to attend and on Thursday night there is the lighting of a beacon outside our village hall.

I am currently printing pics of the coronation off & union jacks to decorate my window. Also got some flags to stick outside in my plant pots.

I have bought two Platinum Jubilee £5 coins for my grandchildren.

I doubt they will ever see another monarch’s great achievement in their lifetime.

Some of the poster’s I’ve printed.

I just need to get some white blue-tac now to stick them in my window.

Don’t worry Meg, I can’t make it there this year. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve done something slightly similar with my two granddaughters Mags. But being a Scotsman, decided just to give them a picture of the coin instead! :hot_face: :hot_face:

4 Likes

And it’s Mrs Fox’s birthday on Monday…
She’s been around almost as long as the queen…Nowhere near as rich though…
And I’ve more chance of making love to the queen…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I’ll be playing my vintage Teardrop along with some others for around 2hrs mid afternoon into evening. If it’s hissing down the canvas canopy should keep the gear & twangers dry, but it might thin the people out for a spot of solid rock a bit though.

Do you know, it didn’t even cross my mind to do anything special

I wouldn’t rain on the parades of peeps who want to though, each to their own and kids enjoy a bit of a do whatever it’s for

Too crowded to go anywhere so DIY and gardening for me, like a lot of the country I spect

But I do make the Jubilee Trifle, that will have to be my tribute, your Maj :princess:

I bet they will love that John, probably the first time they have seen £5 coin
photo! :joy:

1 Like

For a lot of big events, I saved the day’s newspaper for my kids, with a photo of them on the day.

It’s quite an interesting collection now

( and cheap!)

3 Likes

What a lovely idea!

1 Like

I may (or may not - sometimes I get a bit embarrassed about it) have mentioned that I collect sick bags, a friend got this one for me 10 years ago.

2 Likes

LOL! That ticks so many boxes for me!

BTW - anyone noticed the slang name for this fiasco is “Platty Joobs”!
What’s not to love!

When I last visited the UK my cousin took me to the Prince of Wales’ shop. I really wanted a Whatsername and William wedding tea cosy. I was very disappointed because not only did they not have such a tea cosy but Prince Charles was not there to serve me or hear my complaint.

Unlike Prince Leonard of Hutt who not only served me in his shop but wrapped my purchases.

2 Likes

8 Likes