Planes Bikes and Automobiles

I enjoyed the air show, particularly when they flew the really old planes overhead…you wonder how they ever got off the ground they were so cumbersome and unwieldy!

1 Like

Always a great part of the show were the Red Arrows…

2 Likes

I used to live up the North of Scotland, and the jets from RAF Lossiemouth came screaming over the hills, and they were faster than sound. You’d see the jet, then suddenly the skies would erupt with this ferocious thunderous bang! :scream: :airplane:

1 Like

We get loads of Military Planes, thye come right over our garden, and Jets several at one time in different directions…the sound makes you jump out of your skin and the cats go flying…Girlze forgets her age and is mega fast… :paw_prints: :paw_prints: :cat2: :cat2:

2 Likes

Had this Gripe before, My Air Show story started in 1990, at RAF Cosford. The focus then was on aviation, and the crowd control and marshalling was intense, no blocking safety routes etc. Went every year since up to lockdown, and over the thirty years, the event got more popular with folks who had no real interest in planes (fair play, the revenue is very important) so, the show sort of turned into a party in the park. Got no problem with that transition either, nothing stays the same for ever, what I do have a problem with is how the strict marshalling was allowed to slip. Folks bought just about ever Beach item with them and from about midday onwards, every bit of space between the cars was filled with parasols, chairs, sun loungers etc, this would have been stamped on in 1990, just sayin, that is why we will now watch from the perimeter, or, take the bikes in so we can navigate on foot, its the last time I have to ask numerous families to move “Stuff” when we decide to leave for home.

3 Likes

Awww poor kitty! :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Ack see now, I would hate that too…I mean, I’m all for a day out of course, but to spread yourself and various paraphernalia out across the grass, is just a nuisance!
Not to mention dangerous. :018:

1 Like

Lots of Pic Nics at the Eastboune Shows. The last one we went to it was not Piccadilly Circus more like Eastbourne’ s own Circus.
They had not just the front being all beach, but the back drop there were grass areas and sitting areas as a norm…Park nearby would have been a good place to have lunch with the large pond that we had used for our model speeding boat and the Hungary Swans ready to grab the nearest sarnie…or Bath Bun…big thing bath buns in Eastbourne…
So yeah whilst you’ve got your binos in one hand so eyes upwards, tripping over one of those folding wooden deckchairs, not the most thing you’d wish for at a AirShow or expect really.

1 Like

We used to go to Dawlish when it was carnival week. Part of the carnival was an air display. Of course with the covid they have not had one for a while. This one is from 2015.

2 Likes

I love Dawlish! Went there a few times for holidays. :+1: . Never at the time of the air show though. That looks pretty fabulous - what a viewpoint!

1 Like

We always watched it from the beach good view of them flying over the sea :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

opticron

Had this Opticron Spotting Scope for around 20 years now and initially purchased it when we moved to Bexhill for bird spotting and a favourite place was Winchelsea which we knew well from our Carvanning weekends there.
OK for the plane spotting we found. They say its a travelling type and the tripod fixes on easily if needed. I found it too heavy for hand use.
For longer use I have a small lightweight pair of Nixon Binos…fit in a handbag easily as well.

3 Likes

Wow that looks like spy equipment youve got there Di :innocent:

3 Likes

Yes back from the days of the CS, so cant comment on that… :zipper_mouth_face: :innocent:

1 Like

Just out of interest when she tapped the sword on your shoulders did you feel a slight twinge?

1 Like

Only when I tried to get up off my knees :grinning:

2 Likes

From about 2.30pm onwards the display became a bit secondary, the car was loaded with the flasks and whatnots, then you waited for someone (in your parking row) who wanted to leave, could say be 3.00pm, then, when they pulled out having to get out and ask people to move, you tucked in behind them. We all like to sit outside the car on a hot day and, the cars are parked in such fashion that the accessways are wide enough to take a couple of chairs and maybe a picnic table but folks insisted on spreading right across, the organizers must take responsibility for allowing this to happen over the years.
I was ironic that the FIL now deceased had mobility problems for the last fifteen years of his life but, never applied for a blue badge, he finally did and in June 2019 for the first time, we were allowed into the disabled parking area, it was great, no such problems there, pity he didn’t do this ten years previous.

2 Likes

Fairford is a different kettle of fish, car are not allowed onto the base in the first place, just the Son and I went there coz the FIL could not do the walk.

When we had the classic MG sports car we tried a few of the Classic Car Clubs…
There would be competitions for the cars in various forms…one was to set up a Picnic…haha …
We still have our picnic basket that would be well strapped on to the chrome bars that were fixed to the boot end of the MG…

1 Like

What are you doing on your knees Captain :thinking:

1 Like