Planes Bikes and Automobiles

The ante has just been upped again, the first bicycle hub motor I had was 1000w, the one in the old Saracen was the latest 1500w, I notice you can now get a 2000w version which is tempting, but, one thing I have learnt is that, a motor of that potential, in a pushbike weighing about 15 kilos would require the purchase of a brand new quality MTB for safety sake. :biking_man:
P.S, there is a grey wire on the controller which, when connected together will restrict the bike to 15.5 mph.

@spitfire , If they keep upping the ante , then the law will be changed and
the KW’s will be restricted for pedal assisted electric bikes eventually ?
Rightly so imo !!
I remember when l was a cyclist me and me mate attained a speed of 65 mph
when we tucked in behind a delivery truck between Crawley and Redhill
over a distance of about 15 miles !
I know this because the truck driver flagged us down and told us !!LOL!
Donkey man! :+1::+1:

65 on a Pushbike, OMG, and no suspension or disc brakes, respect. :biking_man:

1 Like

191 miles on the Saracen = Birmingham to Carlisle, should be at the Scottish Border on three recharges.

1 Like

This is the board with the wiring required to run the indicators, the other bits and pieces will be added (two relays, voltage dropper etc) before its fitted into the bike.

200 miles, made it from Birmingham to the Scottish Border at Gretna (Its really 231miles by bicycle because you can’t use the Motorways, and mapping reckons that would take 21.3 hours in the saddle, Ouch!). With four strategically positioned battery change points, the journey could be done with minimal pedal assistance, in about 10 hours.

1 Like

I hope this is just exploratory…10 hours is an awful long time in the saddle. Strategic positioning would be the least of your worries! :joy:

1 Like

I could stand up on the peddles when under electric propulsion, or coasting. :biking_man:

1 Like

The board is now onboard. :biking_man:

Really is starting to look like spaghetti down there… :grinning:

Now that board is in, I can start tidying things up a bit, its a long road to legality. :smiley: :biking_man:

1 Like

Hi Pixie, I needed some different electrical connectors for the Bomber, so, being low on fuel and not wanting to queue, and, not wanting to be bothered with full riding kit, I decided to make the ten mile round trip to the nearest Motor Factors on the Saracen. It is all main single carriageway road with no footpaths (got bibbed for overtaking a couple of Racing Bike Riders on an incline :smiley:). The bike was on full charge when I departed, and is still showing full now, round trip including time in the shop 26 minutes, see, doing my bit for the environment. :biking_man: :grinning:

Spent too much time on wiring yesterday, knocked this up this morning, to supply power to the fuses, that’s it for today, got other stuff to do.

1 Like

Just done a fifteen mile ride on the Saracen, done 238 miles on this battery/motor configuration now, equal to a journey from Birmingham to Morpeth Northumberland. :biking_man:

3 Likes

Off to the City tomorrow on my two wheeled Stallion. :grinning: :biking_man:

With GoPro. :biking_man:

1 Like

Took the Wife to the Hospital today (not on the Bike :grinning:) for an Xray Got her there half hour early, had the Saracen in the car so I parked on the recreation ground by the Hospital, and thought, I’ve got at least half hour so off I went on new riding territory. Got about four miles away from the car then the phone rang, she had been seen 15 minutes early so, I had to get back to the car, load the bike in the car, then go and pick her up. This meant I had to use main road, and travel back fast, which I did, not one car overtook me.
250 miles on the clock now.

3 Likes

Sorry, but I did find that amusing…your poor wife clinging on for dear life as you zoomed around! I hope all is well with her, regardless!

The Wife is tolerant but draws the line at two wheels, can’t blame her, there is inherent danger, after 60 odd ( :laughing:) years, I know, one day, I will be lying in the middle of a road thinking, I knew that would happen so, don’t apologize. :grinning: :biking_man:

2 Likes

Time for the Sur ron “Snip” tomorrow. :grinning: :biking_man:

1 Like