Planes Bikes and Automobiles

Did the Sutton Park ride to day, went out on the Bomber earlier, then threw the Saracen in the car and went to Sutton. Entered by Boldmere gate, and went past the Ford at Wyndley Gate and headed to Town Gate, then went straight through the heart of the park to Streetly Gate, ain’t travelled them roads for at least 40 years, you could drive them back then, but, late 70s early 80s, they were gated off to prevent rat runs. GoPro’d it all, so I can bore the missus with the video, if there ain’t nowt on the TV tonight. :grinning: :biking_man: :walking_man:

@Caveman2

The number plate problem is solved, no one would make an illegal plate, so, I have ordered some aluminium bar and am going to fabricate a bracket for the rear mudguard fixing and locate the plate here.

1 Like

looking good :+1:

still prefer this though

I have a Gas Bike, but socially, it can’t go anywhere, apart from on the road. :biking_man:

The homemade rear number plate bracket, just being painted, might go for a road legal ride later. :biking_man:

Been to Halfords this morning, got the two relays required for wiring in the indicators, another step toward road legality.

Bugger Bullet Connectors, lets do the job right.

Clever stuff indeed Spitty but I’m lost on these electronics, it never was my strong point. :thinking:

Sur ron is fully charged, off on a legal one tomorrow. :biking_man: :biking_man:

@Barry

Its a learning curve for me Barry, the fuse box and two relays (for each side of the indicators) have been fitted to the Ally panel, see the motorcycle flasher unit I bought, it is of no use, that is a mechanical unit with a bi-metallic strip in, used in conjunction with standard indicator bulbs, the Bomber is using LEDs which draw a smaller current which would result in this flasher unit making the indicators flash at a rate, higher than permitted, so, I have had to buy a digital unit which has an adjustable flash rate, you live and learn.

V-
V
Two more relays to fit for Horn and Lights, the new flasher unit, and the 84V-12V converter. :biking_man:

1 Like

Really enjoyed being fully legal, and engaging with the car drivers, I am inspired. :biking_man: :biking_man:

Just got to get the Pedestrians on side now. :walking_man:

Just Juicing up.

Took the Bikes to Church this glorious morning, getting a van in a week or two so will get some snaps of localish beauty spots.

1 Like

does look good :+1:

Thanks Caveman, this morning was mainly roads, just been to a place where there are solo and dog walkers so, took the Saracen. I reckon if you coasted down hills, gave a bit of peddle assistance when you felt like it, and used just battery on hills you would get 100 miles out of a single charge of the Saracens Battery, and, its reckoned you can recharge 800 times before the efficiency starts to fall by 20% so, that is 80000 miles for a £250.00 battery. To go the same distance at 30mpg (at £1.31 per litre) in a petrol car would cost £3500.00.

Up to 171 miles or Birmingham to Darlington, mainly fast throttle, so will be due third charge in 25 miles or so.

awesome and the future for most of us id love one

@spitfire , So can you ride one of these with a cycling helmet Spitty ??
Or do you need the real McCoy ??
BTW, I’ve just been informed l have been answering your posts too often :thinking:
Donkey man! :+1::+1:

That’s the confusing point DM. On the road the Sur ron and the Bomber, both legally need a Helmet, although about 95% of these aren’t registered with DVLA, they are recognized as Electric Motorcycles. An Electric Bicycle technically must only have a Pedal Assist function, and, a design maximum speed of 15.5 mph, this means a motor of 250-350w should not be exceeded, and, if you are wise, a standard Bicycle helmet should be worn but is not compulsory. The Saracen has a 1500w hub motor, and is capable of 35mph which, is faster than the Sur ron, in its legal restricted form (most folks de-restrict them), so, 35mph on a Mountain bike, will have the same physical result in the event of a fall as, the same accident on an Electric or Petrol motorbike, and I sometimes do this with a Baseball cap on, but, never unaware of the potential danger. Unrestricted in standard Battery/Controller configuration, the Sur ron is good for a shade over 50 mph, and the Bomber about 60 mph, now, that would be stupid not to conform with the law on. I am in the process of buying the Son and I, a couple of lightweight BMX Helmets, for riding the trails (not the roads).
You reply just as often as you like Donkeyman.

1 Like