People always mispronounce - it drives me crazy

Listen, I just found out today that Gillets are called jeeelay’s, so I have a spare G knocking around.

I’m attaching it onto your Gibberish, M’kay? :joy:

2 Likes

Keep it under your hat.

2 Likes

d00d that really made me laugh out loud :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Yes he told me that too. I told him to stop interfering, to sod off and find something useful to do with his time!

3 Likes

Schedule

1 Like

LOL - I can imagine Ruthio’s answer to that one!

1 Like

Before the English education system banned and exterminated my Irish accent I used to pronounce the word ‘Film’ as ‘Filum’.

And - I never did understand why ‘Can’t’ was an acceptable abbreviation for ‘Can not’ but ‘Mayn’t’ for ‘May not’ had the nuns throwing up their hands in horror!

2 Likes

Buffette
Gatux.
Gin and leem
Catch the buz

1 Like

I said how lovely to see you again ~ your place or mine?!

2 Likes

haha I had the zhilay conversation with a colleague just recently. I was originally told about this over ten years ago. It’s great fun to find out you’re culturally deficient.

2 Likes

yogurt is pronounced yo(as in no)gurt here.
It doesn’t drive me crazy though.

1 Like

I’ve always pronounced it “undies”

3 Likes

LOL shock horror Percy_Vere.
I ay sayn nufink to dat.

1 Like

I have always pronounced it ‘three peggers’ as that’s the number of pegs my huge comfy knicks take! :laughing:

1 Like

Is this the Knickers thread? :sweat_smile:

I think I’m a bit odd because believe me I’m no prude, but the word ‘panties’ I find really sleazy, makes my skin crawl

4 Likes

Bridget Jones killed it .

2 Likes

My Irish Mum always said filum for film and I loved it. The Irish name Colm is pronounced Colum.

2 Likes

I’d never heard the word “Fillum” until I came to Australia in the 1960s when about 1 in 5 seemed to use it (never hear it now) they were the same people who called their wife/girlfriend “Darl”…

Likewise the number that said can BERRA. And let’s not get into the argument as to whether it is JErvis Bay or JArvis Bay (it is spelt Jervis)

I can’t say these drive me crazy they are just interesting.

2 Likes

That word, AGEN. It’s again, a^gain as in attain🤬

2 Likes

I noticed the word “Jalapeno” in another thread. I have never pronounced it as “Halipeeenyo” (which is the correct way) its always been “Jally-peen-oh” in my head.

1 Like