People always mispronounce - it drives me crazy

Oi 'av, oi’m frum the posh part of the Black Country.

2 Likes

I just say underwear!

4 Likes

A question please as the discussion has turned to lingerie.

Ladies, how old were you when you stopped calling panties panties and started calling them knickers? :thinking:

Let’s put it another way, when did you stop wearing panties and start wearing knickers?

1 Like

Dictionaries say the stress can be on either the first or the second syllable.

1 Like

What about “I use to (do)…”? More a grammar thing and seen in writing but the d is frequently left out.

1 Like

It’s almost impossible to spell what I mean, except the accent is not on the AIR syllable!

EXTRAORDINARILY
VOLUNTARILY
MOMENTARILY
ORDINARILY

I’ve emboldened the syllable which should be accentuated, no AIR!
And I know the American pronunciation is different and its gradually creeping over here.

1 Like

Reminds me of many years ago when my SIL and I went to a slimming group. The consultant used to pronounce Quiche as kwish. Every week we hoped she would say it and she usually did and we would nearly wet ourselves laughing. :rofl:

trouble is, we both then always referred to it as kwish at home so it became normal and like you, I have very often said it when out for a meal! People look at me in horror and when I explain I am sure they don’t believe me.

2 Likes

Skelington instead of skeleton. Reservoy instead of reservoir.

But that’s how people I knew in Leicester pronounced them.:thinking:

2 Likes

Hmmm OK not quite sure I get it. Must be a pretty subtle one … the emphasis on the first syllable, tailing off at the end of the word.

1 Like

The emphasis on the syllable in bold, and yes trailing off after that.
I knew I should’ve kept my big mouth shut !! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Controversy

con trov ersy
is the way I was taught.
Many in various corners or the UK say
conto versy
Never sits well with me. But I do appreciate there is no correct way, it’s just a regional thing.

2 Likes

As a child I always pronounced Arkansas , Ar - Kansas
I actually thought Ar-Kan -Saw was another State

2 Likes

I’d say CONTROVERSY

Found this…🔵 ConTROversy CONtroversy Contraversial Contraverzial - ESL British English Pronunciation - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks but he’s talking jibberish (sp)

It’s “con trov ersy”
and “contro versial”

English is a living language, I agree, but these differences are decades/centuries old.

1 Like

It’s conTROVersy
And contraVERsial :rofl::rofl::rofl:

More tea, Vicar??!! :laughing:

2 Likes

You’ve got it in one!

Tea? nah, got anything stronger?

“You’ve posted more than 20% of the replies here, is there anyone else you would like to hear from?”, Bot said.

Mum’s the word.

1 Like

Gibberish…hard G :smiley:

1 Like

A few months ago I could not believe my ears when I heard a BBC anchorman/news presenter (can’t remember who or what) say “Scams are the scrouge of the internet” (with the vowel sound as in ‘ouch’). I mean, you really can’t mistakenly mispronounce scourge in this way, can you? He must have genuinely thought that was the word :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

you can’t get the staff these days

2 Likes

Thanks Ms Knuckles, the voice of reason. :017:

3 Likes