Oculus Quest 2 VR now is worth doing for us over 50s

they came out with headsets you put phones in, but they were crap gimmiks, they were not VR. but like you say the good old ones were to expensive to buy.

1 Like

I dont know about stonehenge maybe a 360 video, the differrence with 360 video and VR is a video you cant move forwards back or up and down your in a sphere of a video

1 Like

Im glad to :slight_smile:

1 Like

thats interesting would like to try that out but as you say cost has always been the issue.
i believe there is also on that you can climb Everest.

yes I have the everest app, its a desktop app you need a link cable to connect the quest to a PC to run Everest, the link cables can be £60 but I’m told cheap ones are just as good,

The Quest 2 is a standalone VR no PC needed, but some apps like Everest and appollo 11 are worth buying the cable for. BUT i bought them a while ago so they may be on the quest now I just looked and appollo 11 was

Been watching some youtube videos about the Oculus Quest 2 since @homealone started the thread. Thanks for starting this!

Here’s one on meditation. The one mentioned above called 'where thoughts go" says that you can find out about other people’s dreams and thoughts and leave some of your own dreams and thoughts for others. No idea how that works, but it sounds intriguing.

This video talks about using VR to travel in a vritual sense to different places using Google maps. You can take people with you if they have a Quest 2 system also. There’s also VR chat, which they say is pretty weird. I can imagine. There’s a National Geographic app they say is good. There’s also an adult coloring app where you can color in 3D virtual space, which they laugh about because they say it’s for “moms”.

1 Like

If you buy from amazon and take up their free 30 day prime trial(cancel before 30 days if you dont want prime), you will get it NextDayDelivery. But stocks of the Quest may dryup soon , you could not get one last week, but amazon have them now for £300.

@homealone you can post a YouTube video by copying the url into the editor

1 Like

thanks, but I did that, I dont know what Im doing wrong, maybe its because im new and being slightly blocked, but I will try again sometime

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I did check that you’re at trust level 1 and looked at the trust levels to see if images are included and they are.

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/over50schat-trust-levels-info/80117

Sorry I couldn’t help.

1 Like

Checkmate: ‘Chess Club’ Brings Strategy to Life on the Oculus Quest Platform

you can play real people and use the builtin microphone , and play chess on a table and chat and see the opponants avator and hands, its awsome

1 Like

OVERVIEW - Let’s Create! Pottery VR | Part X Gameplay | Oculus Quest VR - YouTube

pottery in VR

1 Like

The comments were better than the video. I wonder if the controls are sensitive enough to make it seem like you’re making the pottery. Some of it didn’t seem like that’s how it would work in real life. Putting your hand high over the pot shouldn’t make it extend, for instance.

1 Like

Its Just great being in VR, anything you do cant really be compared to what you know now as your reality, you could be peeling a potato in VR and its like magical how you are transfered into a new world,

1 Like

QUEST 2 COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR // Warplanes WW1 Fighters VR // Oculus Quest 2 Dogfight Gameplay - YouTube

they are developing the METAVERSE on it now with VRCHAT , RECROOM and a few other apps that all interconnect. if you have not heard of the METAVERSE yet its supposed to be the next evolution for the internet

here is a tabletop app that is able to allow people to play simple games, TTRPGs on here would be great

Ok…I’m going to have talk nicely to Santa I think! I really like this idea of VR and want to try it! The Nature treks and meditation look really enjoyable!

1 Like

Check out the Black Friday specials. You might be able to get a good deal on them. Electronics are often on sale on Black Friday. I started a thread on Black Friday here.

1 Like

I have just been watching a Youtube video on this particular headset, and apparently you require a facebook account to play it. And any deviation from what they consider acceptable usage, ( ie, they way you use facebook, making a fake account, putting things on there that they don’t like or agree with) results in your losing access to games. So its a no from me, but I’ll see what other versions are around because I really love the idea of VR - just not being “made” to use social media to get it!

1 Like

I’m with you. I’ve been kicked off Facebook for using an ad-blocker. I won’t be buying anything that requires a Facebook account to function. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like