Oculus Quest 2 VR now is worth doing for us over 50s

The facebook things starts from 4:00 mins in…worth a watch, its quite scary! :scream:

1 Like

Interesting. Do you buy the person’s next idea that the VR consoles will get better in the next year or two?

For me, I don’t think the technology is quite there yet. I hope Facebook won’t be allowed to dominate the industry despite their best efforts.

If you like nature stuff and meditation, you might check out some smartphone apps. There’s some pretty good stuff out there. It’s not totally immersive, but the apps are free on a cheap smartphone you could use on wifi. My smarphone cost $30, and I use it free on wifi. You could also use google maps to do some treks online. Maybe check out some apps on Google Play to see if some of the apps might appeal to you.

1 Like

I stopped reading as soon as I saw smartphone!

I do believe it will get better yes…because look how far its come only in the last few years. I agree with you - I hope facebook (or any company) should not be allowed to dominate the market on this.

I use MapCrunch to go for a “walk” around the world on my laptop sometimes :joy: Its similar to Googlemaps (in that they take the same data), but its more rural and landscapey, which I like. I have used Google maps to take a look inside some historic buildings though…like a 3d tour kind of idea.

I also have a couple of guided meditation apps on my phone and tablet which I use now and again, they are good. :+1:

1 Like

Well, I could have said tablet since I use it as one. I don’t use it as a phone. It’s not even connected to a network right now. But smartphones are cheaper because they’re smaller. Does that help?

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Sorry :icon_redface: I must have confused you with someone who said they don’t have a smartphone. Sounds like you know a lot about the apps already.

1 Like

I also have a Nintendo Wii which has a few (somewhat) interactive games on it…not quite VR and immersive, but it does the job. I do think if I were 20 years younger, i would have been a proper gamer of some description :joy:

1 Like

Video games is something I never got into. But now it’s a mode of interaction as well as a form of entertainment. Maybe it’s not too late. . .

1 Like

I’m not fussed about the interaction…I prefer single player. But entertainment, yes…this VR stuff has got me thinking it would be almost like the HoloSuite in StarTrek :joy:

1 Like

lol If it were that good, it would be worth it for sure. I don’t think it’s even close from what I’ve see of it.

The first episode of Star Trek, The Next Generation in the holosuite, the Captain riding on a horse and meeting Data. That would definitely be worth it.

So I could download all that you have mentioned into one of my laptops?

1 Like

I was looking at them on Amazon. I was thinking of it as a family present for my sons family rather than getting them something each

But now I think I’ll get myself one!

Seriously, which one have you got? How many GBs They seem to start at 64GB

Probably. But since most of the apps are on the Android platform (or Apple), you’d have to use an Android converter which wouldn’t always convert accurately and would require an add-on program. Some of the programs are web-based but not all of them.

Laptops are generally Windows, Apple, Linux or Chrome based. Tablets and phones are generally Android or Apple based. At least the ones I’ve seen.

LD, each platform (Windows, Chrome, Macbook etc) has it own App Store.

download (1) Windows
download Andriod
download (2) Chrome

Apple mac

1 Like

I feel like I’m missing something. The reason I’m using a smartphone for some of the apps is because they’re Android based. Some of the apps don’t cross platforms.

1 Like

Apologies Butterscotch…I was just showing LD what each App store icon looks like, because I don’t know what operating system he has, so I thought giving him something to look out for would be helpful, in case he wasn’t sure :smiley:

1 Like

No apology necessary PixieKnuckles. I’m just confused about the smartphone issue. Many of the meditation apps that I’ve seen and we were discussing are only on Android. Only smartphones and tablets use Android that I know of.

1 Like

Well this is true…although I do know of iPads, which are Apple. And I’m using a Chromebook Laptop which is like a larger tablet style, so that has its own Chrome App store (and also uses Android Apps, interestingly enough) Gosh it feels like we could get overwhelmed at some point :joy: I think it would be nice if tech were clever enough to just crossover onto each other, wouldn’t it?!

1 Like

Oh nice! I have Windows on my laptop so most of the apps don’t play on it. Makes sense that they work on Chrome since both are from Google. I’ve been thinking about getting a Chromebook. Another nudge in that direction. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

You are welcome. Its the best thing I bought to be honest. Its so easy and smooth to use, no tiresome updates all the time, the lid folds right back so you can use it as a tablet (touch screen, and write/draw on it if you have a stylus). The only drawback with mine is that the storage space isn’t that much, but I have a 64GB memory stick which I transfer things onto. I daresay the more expensive ones are better, but this one is perfect for my needs.

1 Like