New Rules For Motorists Using Roundabouts Are Coming In On 29th January

Why should cyclists complain; they never use the cycle lanes anyway, apparently?

1 Like

I think the root problem is that it is the civil servants who come up with these new rules are the ones who are nuts.

2 Likes

This thought crossed my mind when we started to discuss these new rules, but I forgot it among all the other ideas and comments, till I saw it mentioned on another forum -

As I understand it, a motorist wishing to turn into a side street must give way to pedestrians, not only if they are already crossing the road, but also if they are waiting on the pavement at the junction
So, leaving aside the fact that drivers are now supposed to read people’s minds, I wonder how soon it will be before the kids & teenagers realise what fun they can have?

All they have to do is to stand on the pavement and a car must stop for them to cross…assuming that they do cross
But there is nothing to prevent them from just standing there and waiting…and waiting…as must the car, thus causing endless waiting, frustration, and tailbacks. Oh what fun!
But of course, if the driver decides he/she’s waited long enough so assumes the kids are staying put, and sets off, all the kids have to do is to step into the road, and the driver is at fault

On that same forum there were a couple of other comments -

A lot of problems could be removed if the rules stated that cyclists must not undertake vehicles that were indicating to turn left

And finally - These new rules were obviously dreamed up by a couple of 6 year olds with a Play Mat and Dinky Toys

2 Likes

Yes Annie, it’s called a Mexican Standoff

1 Like

I saw one being stopped by the police yesterday and thought yippee.

1 Like

Haha I had too google, but yes very true! :grin:

1 Like

I wonder what’s more astonishing, police still exist on the streets, or that they stopped the e-scooter.

2 Likes

I’m gonna flash them if there is inertia at night and beep them and do a sweeping hand gesture if they do a goldfish impression in the day

1 Like

[quote=“AnnieS, post:127, topic:88401, full:true”]

I wonder what’s more astonishing, police still exist on the streets, or that they stopped the e-scooter.
[/quot

Annie they were in their police van and pulled him over, it was on a housing estate, so not sure if somebody had called them or they just happened to be driving around.

2 Likes

I agree with every word. Certainly, they weren’t dreamed up by civil servants who drive themselves and more likely they are either driven by chauffeurs or they use the Tube.

I think that at least some of these silly ideas will eventually be reversed, but not until there have been accidents and injuries - or even deaths - as a result, rather like those smart motorways.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen a policeperson on the streets for years. I occasionally see a police car, of course, but I assume that either they are not fit enough to walk the streets these days or perhaps they’re just too afraid to do so. After all, they’re no longer like the traditional coppers of old, but all unversity graduates now.

Alright, I can see that cyclists might want improved rules for them, but I don’t see why pedestrians need them

I would have thought that the existing (ie, now recently old) arrangement for pedestrians to cross a side street at a junction was reasonable enough - at least it was straightforward - pedestrians had to wait till there was no, or a gap in, the traffic, then away they went

The authorities realised that this might take time on a busy side street, so they provided little islands or reservations in the middle, and pedestrians treated the junction as two separate crossings - I think that was/is the advice in the Highway Code

And further to this, if a junction was likely to be very busy they provided Pelican type crossings, bigger islands, fences, barriers, and all the rest of it

So everyone knew where they stood (pun!) and the procedures worked
But now we are likely to get all the accidents, rear end shunts, delays, and frustrations we’ve mentioned
Oh well, time will tell, but it’s going to be a hazardous process

1 Like

I can see trouble ahead…

1 Like

Think this is awful and can see this becoming the norm now:

2 Likes

Oh snap Artangel lol

1 Like

Ha! Thank You! Wendeey. You’ve saved me adding the whole article!
I didn’t know they held the traffic up for 8 miles. That is shocking.

3 Likes

Well, I say give it time.

There are bound to be consequences and cyclists, even the most self-centred and opinionated, are much softer than large lumps of metal! Yes, I’m sure there will be injuries and possibly even deaths.

The interesting debate, though, is how many injuries and deaths before the ‘experts’ (probably the same ones who had the bright idea of smart motorways) will admit they were wrong and restore some common sense to the roads, and especially do something to discourage cyclists from intentionally enraging motorists which will, one day, result in them getting their just desserts.

1 Like

I know the club - or one just like it .
Lycra clad prats.

I looked up the chap who posted that tweet. His tweets are now protected. The pro cycling lobby on twitter is like a frenzy of piranhas.

I noticed the geezers name “Bulley”