New Rules For Motorists Using Roundabouts Are Coming In On 29th January

I have just read that new rules are coming in for motorists using roundabouts on 29th January.
It is to do with giving priority to cyclists using the roundabout. If the motorist doesn’t adhere to the new rules, they will be given a £200 fine.
Are you aware of this new ruling?

I am sorry that l wasn’t able to download an article regarding this new ruling.

Yes, I’ve heard about these, and related changes to the rules

Sounds like it’s going to be a complete disaster and balls - up to me

2 Likes

Some cyclists I have seen, are thoughtless and aggressive enough as it is, without being given new priorities, too.

5 Likes

I agree with Zuludog. Not content with the damage and injuries caused by their ‘smart motorways’ they’ve thought up another potential disaster.

My prediction is that their next bright idea will be to ban all motorised vehicles from using all roads other than motorways and providing car parks at each exit so that we can leave our cars there and hire a bicycle to continue our journey.

One way or another, I think they’re trying their best to encourage as many people as possibl to leave this country in order to make way for the boat people they keep inviting in.

3 Likes

More power to the Cyclist :+1:

4 Likes
1 Like

Thank You! Bathsheba. That was really kind of you to do that.

1 Like

Having read the article, I actually think these new Highway Code amendments make a great deal of sense. They put the onus on those who can cause the greatest harm to look out for and protect those are the most vulnerable. I don’t really see how anyone can argue with that premise.

I am rather surprised, though, that there hasn’t been a massive advertising campaign to make sure all road users are aware of the new rules.

4 Likes

You’re very welcome Artangel :blush:

1 Like

I wonder how we give them priority, sounds dangerous to me, I will go and check the rules.

No, I never knew,Art, thanks for sharing.:+1:

1 Like

I didn’t know about it, so thanks for telling us, Art.
Now I’ve read the article, it seems sensible to me.

For cyclists and slow vehicles to stay in the left hand lane on the roundabout seems safer and the rules about motorised vehicles not cutting across the path of cyclists or horses in front of them on a roundabout, or at road junctions, seems sensible too.
I would take care not to do those things anyway.

I notice the new rules also clarify that cyclists have to give way to pedestrians on shared cycle paths/walkways - as they should!

I also notice that motorists and cyclists must now give way to pedestrians waiting to cross the road at a zebra crossing - I always did this too and so do many motorists, even though the rule used to be that you didn’t have to give way until the pedestrian had started crossing - I always found that tricky when crossing the road, not being sure whether to wait for an approaching car to slow down or to step out and hope they would slow down!

I’m not sure what that rule means about giving way to pedestrians at junctions, though ? I’ll have to check that one out.
I always find it awkward if a pedestrian is waiting to cross the road at a junction, if I’m turning off a major road into a minor one, with traffic behind me - it’s hard to to tell if they are going to dart across or not and stopping “mid-turn” to wait for the pedestrian to cross seems dangerous too.

1 Like

More of the new rules coming in …

1 Like

The bottom two appear unproductive to me. If cyclists were to ride on the inside of the lane I believe they would be just as visible to motorists. If they are to be encouraged to ride in the middle of the lane that would make overtaking them more difficult and I can see potential dangers in that manoeuvre. The same applies when cyclists ride three or more abreast, or even two abreast, obliging motorists to overtake using the opposite carriageway.
At best, I think these people are trying to make life more difficult for the motorists and, worse, even more dangerous.
They have already achieved the latter with smart motorways, perhaps they’re hoping to increase fatalities further in a move to reduce the number of cars on the road. No, I’m not joking, but I am being cynical.

Incidentally, whoever wrote this thing needs to go back to school (which doesn’t surprise me). The word is ‘kerb’ (unless you’re a Yank or dyslexic). ‘Curb’ means something quite different.

3 Likes

These rules look straightforward enough on paper as long as all road users obey them and behave reasonably…and there’s the problem; or rather I can see two or three of them, probably more

In the example of pedestrians at junctions -

If there is/are pedestrians walking along the pavement on a main road, as shown, then the car will have to wait and give way, then continue into the side road after the pedestrian has crossed
However, if the road is busy and there is a frequent series of pedestrians then the car will also have to wait…and wait…and wait; thus causing tailbacks & delays

If a pedestrian is walking along the pavement on a main road then a car will have to slow almost to a stop as they both approach a junction, just in case
But if the pedestrian also turns into the side road then the car will have slowed down for nothing, which will cause tailbacks, frustration, and annoyance, to put it mildly

If the car has indicated and just started to turn into the side road but the pedestrian expects to have priority and continues across the junction, depending on the distances, timing, and reflexes of the driver, the car might hit the pedestrian
And as the driver will have done an emergency stop, there might be a rear end shunt

So I suspect that in practice drivers will slow to a crawl whenever they approach a junction

As for a cyclist in the middle of the road, that will just cause endless tailbacks as vehicles now crawl along at whatever speed the cyclist is doing; unless there is PLENTY of space to overtake - and how often do we see that on British roads?
In practice it will mean that vehicles will need to move rightwards into either a faster lane or the opposite lane

I can see these changes resulting in delays, frustration, and concertina effect tailbacks

And yes, Smart Motorways are surely one of the most dangerous and idiotic ideas ever!

2 Likes

Couple of tonnes of metal v a few llbs of flesh, there’s only gonna be one winner.

1 Like

I agree. The person/people who came up with them have, in my opinion, little or no common sense.
Time will tell and, I’m sure, accidents will follow.

2 Likes

I agree about the pedestrian crossing at junctions - that’s a tricky one - it may cause problems on the road you’re turning from and problems with the reaction time of driver and pedestrian.

The Cyclists road positioning in the middle of the lane is only in certain circumstances for visibility - when safe and appropriate they should move to the left and allow vehicles to overtake

New Rule 72 Road positioning.
When riding on the roads, there are two basic road positions you should adopt, depending on the situation.

1. Ride in the centre of your lane, to make yourself as clearly visible as possible, in the following situations:
    • on quiet roads or streets – if a faster vehicle comes up behind you, move to the left to enable them to overtake, if you can do so safely
    • in slower-moving traffic - when the traffic around you starts to flow more freely, move over to the left if you can do so safely so that faster vehicles behind you can overtake
    • at the approach to junctions or road narrowings where it would be unsafe for drivers to overtake you
  2. When riding on busy roads, with vehicles moving faster than you, allow them to overtake where it is safe to do so whilst keeping at least 0.5 metres away, and further where it is safer, from the kerb edge. Remember that traffic on most dual carriageways moves quickly. Take extra care crossing slip roads.

New Rule 73 Junctions.
Some junctions, particularly those with traffic lights, have special cycle facilities, including small cycle traffic lights at eye-level height, which may allow you to move or cross separately from or ahead of other traffic. Use these facilities where they make your journey safer and easier.
At junctions with no separate cyclist facilities, it is recommended that you proceed as if you were driving a motor vehicle (see Rules 170 to 190). Position yourself in the centre of your chosen lane, where you feel able to do this safely, to make yourself as visible as possible and to avoid being overtaken where this would be dangerous. If you do not feel safe to proceed in this way, you may prefer to dismount and wheel your bike across the junction.

1 Like

Still no mention of cyclists riding two or three abreast.
Is there any practical reason for this, other than enabling them to have a nice chat while they’re enjoying themselves in holding up motorists?

3 Likes

Cyclists are a nightmare .
I don’t think they should be on roundabouts at all .
Yes I also have a bike so I do go on roads but its hairy .

1 Like

That’s covered too. I’ll just post the link where I found some FAQs about the new rules.

1 Like