Mystery deepens around Times story that claimed Boris Johnson planned to make girlfriend Carrie £100k chief of staff

1 Like

Warned by who ?
She was going to visit her parents .
British citizens are certainly warned against going there now.

That’s a very informative link … thanks … :+1:

:slightly_smiling_face:

It was Carrie Johnson who has been instrumental in animal rights legislation,

Boris Johnson has refused to deny that he tried to secure Carrie Johnson a senior Foreign Office job and other posts when she was his girlfriend, adding to mounting speculation about what critics have called apparent corruption.

Asked at prime minister’s questions (PMQs) about reports that he tried to get her appointed to a Foreign Office job in 2018, and to other roles including one with a royal charity, Johnson simply ignored the subject.

The Labour MP Chris Elmore asked Johnson: “Has he ever considered the appointment of his current spouse to a government post or to any organisation in the working of the royal households? Be honest prime minister – yes or no.”

Johnson replied: “I know why the party opposite wants to talk about nonexistent jobs, in the media. Because they don’t want to talk about what is going on in the real world.” He then went on to discuss employment statistics (1).

Keir Starmer openly mocked Johnson over the issue later in PMQs. After Johnson noted that Labour MPs had visited rail strike picket lines, the Labour leader replied: “I’m surprised he’s giving me advice about my team. If I do need advice – let’s say about a £100,000 a year job at the Foreign Office – I will ask him for a recommendation.”

(1) Well, we all know that BJ lies about employment statistics … :wink:

I’m surprised that he didn’t want to lie about paying his mistress with taxpayers’ money, as in “there was no party” … :roll_eyes:

Correspondence exists confirming that Boris Johnson attempted in 2019 to secure a senior role for his then girlfriend, Carrie Johnson, at the Foreign Office, a source has said, amid growing calls for an inquiry.

The source, who worked with Johnson at the time, said Carrie Johnson – now the prime minister’s wife – had never progressed as far as formally applying for the role. But they claimed that Johnson, then foreign secretary, had repeatedly pressed for her to be picked for the senior taxpayer-funded job, a fact reflected in internal documentation from the period that could be examined by an inquiry.

The chair of the House of Commons standards committee, Chris Bryant, called on Tuesday for the “paper trail” surrounding the issue to be published. “It is manifestly corrupt to appoint your lover as a Spad,” he said in a tweet.

BIB - Indeed it is …but BJ has a habit of “assisting” lovers:

I heard rumours Boris puts his socks on before his boxers. I mean. Come on . Got to be worth bringing up next session.

1 Like

No doubt those rumours are from the same sources that informed you that “most PMs and MPs have used their position to help a few friends and relatives” - an assertion which proved wildly inaccurate … :wink:

No doubt those rumours are from the same sources that informed you that “most PMs and MPs have used their position to help a few friends and relatives” - an assertion which proved wildly inaccurate … :wink:

You believe what you want. I live in the real world.

1 Like

Out of interest, how much did the Blairs make whilst Tony was in government?

Did she sell Tony Blair’s autograph for a tenner on eBay?

Start a thread and, no doubt, you will find out … :wink:

The enterprising former Downing Street resident offered the item – designed to fit into copies of Tony Blair’s autobiography A Journey – at £25 on the auction .

She got a tenner. Which was probably 9 pounds to much.

1 Like

I daren’t as a ‘bot’ will tell me off for starting too many threads! :laughing:

1 Like

OK, I’ve done it for you … :+1:

:slightly_smiling_face:

Whatever he made you can bet your sweet life no one will find out. Considering his worth now it’s a safe bet he had a good start when he handed over to his mate Gordon. :pound: :pound:

The UK’s top civil servant has admitted having an “informal conversation” about potential roles for the PM’s wife with a royal charity, after being prompted by a former Downing Street colleague.

But Simon Case said he had not recommended that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Royal Foundation give Carrie Johnson a position.

There had been “no improper conduct” on his part, he added.

In response to a letter from Angela Rayner, Mr Case wrote: “I did not recommend Mrs Johnson for any role. In autumn 2020 a former member of the No 10 team asked about opportunities for Mrs Johnson with environmental charities. I was happy to have an informal conversation with someone involved with the [Royal Foundation’s] Earthshot Prize about what roles were available, as I would have done for anyone with relevant experience who was keen to get involved with charity work.”

A guarded admission … :wink:

Typical politics of the useless Left. We can’t get our own way with the PM so let’s have a go at his wife.

1 Like

I hope Omah hasn’t seen the article about Boris Johnson wanting to build a treehouse for his son at Chequers at a cost of £150,000.
The idea was abandoned, due to security reasons.

2 Likes

I just read that! Made me laugh :joy:

1 Like

The “treehouse” sounds like an idea from “Conservation” Carrie … :laughing:

1 Like