Boris Johnson issued with THIRD warning from stats watchdog over making false claims

Boris Johnson has been rebuked by the stats watchdog a third time after the Prime Minister made false claims about employment he had already been told were untrue. The UK Statistics Authority warned the PM his claim at a PMQs in February that there were “500,000 more people in paid employment now than there were before the pandemic began” was wrong.

While people on payrolls are up since pre-Covid, the number of people in jobs overall was still down by 580,000 compared to December 2019-February 2020.

Mr Johnson himself had even admitted the stat was wrong when he accepted a correction after a warning from the watchdog’s chairman Sir David Norgrove, who underlined “it is wrong to claim that there are now more people in work than before the pandemic began”. He denied deliberately misleading Parliament, however, insisting he reflected the facts as he knew them at the time. But the PM went on to repeat the claim at another PMQs in April, however, and has now been issued with a second warning.

It marks the third intervention from the stats watchdog.

In February, Mr Johnson and Home Secretary Priti Patel were slammed for saying that the government had cut crime by 14%.

In actual fact, prosecutions hit a record low when crime had increased, according to official figures.

And the 14% figure did not include criminal offences such as fraud and computer misuse, though the Prime Minister did not make that clear.

Sir David said the Home Office “presented the statistics to give a positive picture of trends in crime in England and Wales” between June 2019 and September 2021, but did so by not including fraud and computer misuse.

Deceiver, dissembler
Your trousers are alight
From what pole or gallows
Shall they dangle in the night?

(William Blake)

1 Like

“There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics”

(Benjamin Disraeli)

2 Likes

We really can’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth, can we?

How can our country function with a leader like that and why would other countries trust us in negotiations?

2 Likes

It’s like he’s taken over Trumps way of doing things with lies and deceit.
Then again he’s a tory so what do you expect.
He’s stupid enough to think that comparing him to Trump would be a good thing.
And no, I’m not a labour supporter.

2 Likes

It can’t and it isn’t.

1 Like

I disagree about Trump - he was a shrewed businessman. Dorris is a fool.

Hi

I agree with AT.

We deserve a better leader than we one we have.

Trump a shrewd businessman? My eye, he was shrewd. If he was that good a businessman how come he managed to go bankrupt so many times (6 and counting)?

Bankruptcy can be a very useful means of making money. Trust me on this. It’s served me very well in the past.