Manage Your Gas & Electricity Price Increases?

I pay my bills quarterly Swim, and I don’t do direct debit. So I send in my meter reads online every three months, and they send me the bill, which I pay online by card. I budget for my bills which I calculate myself. The latest bills are usually the biggest of the year after the winter and today’s were no exception, however, they have not increased since the same time last year. This years expenditure (June 2021 to March 2022) for Gas + Electricity works out at £1160

I am with Octopus too, and they request a meter reading each month, and they collect the arranged direct debit soon afterwards.
I have got used to monthly payments now, and prefer them to the old quarterly method that British Gas used to do.

1 Like

Can’t believe that mine has doubled whilst yours has stayed the same!

Do you know some Russians, or spomething?

:cold_face:

2 Likes

You might want to check forthcoming prices from British Gas:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/british-gas-raise-uk-energy-tariffs-april-1-2022-02-17/

LONDON, Feb 17 (Reuters) - Centrica’s (CNA.L) British Gas said on Thursday it will raise its standard variable tariff from April 1 in line with energy market regulator Ofgem’s price cap increase.

Earlier this month, Ofgem said it would raise its cap on the most widely used tariffs, which covers around 22 million households, by 54% from April due to the increase in global wholesale gas prices.

British Gas said it will be contacting customers to explain how their bill prices will change.

1 Like

The only direct debits I have are Broadband/Landline and now Mobile phone contract.
Apart from the two I mentioned, I prefer to be the only one buggering about with my finances.

3 Likes

I posted in the oil price thread, about my future gas and electricity rises. It is certainly worrying. Don’t know how we can sustain paying for it.

1 Like

Thanks Omah, but I don’t care what they do, I’ll be sticking with them because I can’t be arsed spending time searching round in order to knock off a few quid in the future. I already saved a stash by sticking with British Gas when other people got penalized after their suppliers went bust…

1 Like

This is my post 4# earlier in this thread. I can’t understand these huge bills some rack up. I’m with OVO for both gas and electric paid monthly by direct debit.

There’s no point in switching now, obviously, but you should be prepared for your energy bill to double in size … at least … :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I reckon it will be the same for everyone Omah, regardless of the supplier…

2 Likes

Exactly … That’s why your current bill for past usage is no indicator of bills for future usage.

If Ted has received notification then British Gas should have been in touch with you. I’m with Octopus and I’ve been kept informed of the inevitable changes.

Perhaps not Omah, but my next 3 bills for the rest of 2022 will be a lot less than this latest bill despite any rises, so I was so surprised that this usually hefty bill was quite manageable.

Well, you appear to be an exception … :wink:

Mum always said that Omah!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

OVO keeps me informed of any price increases. The latest was almost 50% up see posts 4 and 128. The next rise could be in October. Mind you this has been one of the mildest winters I can recall and temperatures are generally a degree or three lower up here than in the south.

Niece has answered me on FB, stating hers has gone up 187%. She added, how do they think they can pay it?!

1 Like

One of the things that really annoys me about a contract with the electricity provider is that they can change the price at will but if the price goes down you don’t benefit from this until the next contract but if the price goes up they give you a months warning.

I don’t know how you afford your bills on the UK pension, my electric bill for a year (I pay quarterly) is about $800 (£400) I don’t have gas or solar.

I think the suppliers are going to have to come to arrangements if some cant afford the huge hike in monthly payments after all there are many on basic state pensions with little savings . How they will work it I dont know but I can see many of us in debit to the suppliers throughout the years .

That’s why I send in my meter readings and they send me a bill Bruce. It is sometimes a bit steep on the first bill after the winter, but because I put money away in the summer and autumn when they are not so high, it’s usually enough to cover the excess.

I’ve, now, used all of the guidance from earlier in this topic, and am happy that my bills ought to reduce.

Next have to find out how that lower usage is fed back by BG.

If my plan works, they could owe me quite a bit.

What’s the betting that they won’t alter the plane ‘as it goes’?.