It's amazing what you find in tins!

I found an example:

but they’re still dried:

Mashed potatoes can be used to make nearly every meal even better, and now with our Instant Mashed Potatoes, you can enjoy their smooth taste virtually any time you want.

To prepare, simply add water (approximately 1.5 gallons are needed for the entire can) and bring these delicious mashed potatoes to your meals today, or store for 25 years for use during an emergency.

1 Like

25 Year shelf life !!!

Shh - we are not supposed to mention robots. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Alternatively:

which may make canned potatoes edible.

In fairness I avoided the term tinpot :grin::wink::rofl:

1 Like

I am not surprised, school dinners used powdered mash potatoes in the 50s, I expect they have improved significantly since then. I haven’t seen or used them myself.

Hi

A safe thread on a forum such as this.

Not so safe on an Environmental Health Forum, you would get some disgusting, but true, replies.

I agree with Art
Fresh is best
Having said that I nearly always have tinned fish and baked beans in the cupboard. I also use tinned chopped tomatoes if cooking an Italian meal for more than 1 or 2 people.
The tinned fish mostly ends up between two slices of bread with sliced cucumber or tomatoes :grin:

1 Like

… bought 16 tins of sardines in sunflower oil today in Tesco at 40p/tin.

Best tin on the shelf … ready for post-Truss poxy-lips © @Omah

1 Like

Don’t forget your tinned fruit!

1 Like

Eeeek - not keen on oily fish packed in more oil, d00d, but I do love sardines!

I’m with you on this one I only buy them in water, well actually spring water according to the tin but I would be quite content with tap water

2 Likes

Aye. Too oily.

1 Like

Sardines in water seem to be popular now, it’s getting hard to find them in oil. I prefer oil: just seems right somehow. I pour half away when opening and the rest gets mopped up with bread.

2 Likes

Each to their own. I find sardines oily enough without adding to it.

I quite like the ones in tomato sauce too
Lovely all mashed up on toast :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Does the toast then go under the grill? … that’s nice.

Yes - I like those as well. Oddly enough - I am not keen on Pilchards - I wonder why that is??

Can you get mackerel in tins? Have only ever seen them shrink wrapped in fridges, or at the fishcounter (obviously!!)

1 Like

I’ve got a few of these on standby in my nuclear bunker.
Bought them a couple of years ago and there’s still just under a year to go before they hit the best before date :+1:

2 Likes