It's amazing what you find in tins!

Not knowing what the winter goblins may have in store for us - I thought I would pop a few emergency type tins in my store cupboard and went rummaging on Sainsbury’s. Was looking mainly for beans - butter/kidney/borlotti/cannellini/black eyed/pinto etc., as I often forget to steep them overnight. Imagine my astonishment when I came across a tin of … wait for it … Mashed Potato!! How lazy is that? Can’t begin to think what it would taste like.

4 Likes

I can honestly say ST , I have never heard of mashed potatoes in a tin, which aisle are they down?..:thinking:

With the tinned beans and pulses, Pauline. Had to look twice to make sure I had read the tin correctly.

I’ve never seen or heard of tinned mashed potato, either … and I’d be interested in obtaining some before the post-Truss poxy-lips … :slightly_smiling_face:

I have never seen mashed potato in a can before.

We have all sorts of “emergency” long-life foods on our boat, in case we get stuck miles from any shops or places to eat, so I’m familiar with canned new potatoes, which I don’t mind eating if we have no fresh food, and dried potato to reconstitute with water - I’d have to be very hungry to eat it but it does keep for ages and it is useful for camping expeditions too.

2 Likes

Sounds great. I’d be inclined to slice it into little patties and fry them.

2 Likes

I’ve tried frozen mash , it was more than ok …. creamy and delicious.

3 Likes

I have eaten tinned bread and all kinds of nonsense, but the most revolting military rations we had on one op was chicken supreme…in tins, main meal for ten days, gross after day 6 I was sprouting feathers

2 Likes

We need photos!

1 Like

It was back in the dark ages, way before cameras😀

Tesco do really nice (fresh) cheesy mash - I’ve started sneaking it into Sunday lunch and nobody can tell the difference. I put it in a saucepan to make it look authentic. Life is too short for peeling potatoes.

Tinned potatoes are great too if you want a simple life. They microwave v well. Each time that’s about an hour of your life you have back.

1 Like

Haven’t had tinned potatoes since i was a kid. They were far from nice. Maybe they’ve found a better way of doing it

1 Like

Tinned foods seem more advanced these days. I tried some “Free & Easy” tinned (vegan) meals during lockdown and they were pretty good. I’m not a big tinned food advocate but it’s a good way to save money and have supplies in an emergency.

1 Like

Come the Zombie Apocalypse you won’t go far wrong with a few tins of Spam …trust me I know about these things

3 Likes

I don’t recommend corned beef. I don’t think I can ever face eating that again after lockdown.

Couple of shallots, boiled unpeeled potatoes and chopped up chillies. fried with corned beef. Mmmmm Hash!!

2 Likes

I am not sure which sounds worse to eat - Zombies or Spam! :rofl:

I’m a Veggie, so I leave Himself to stock up on the tins of Ham/ Spam, Sardines and Tuna.

I’d rather gamble on a tin of mashed potato!

I actually looked up mashed potatoes in tins, and to my surprise there they were, I wouldn’t fancy those though.

2 Likes

hmmm I still have some plant pioneers “no chuna”, some stuffed vine leaves and a tin of jackfruit from lockdown times. Haven’t yet found the opportunity to have a tinned vegan post-lockdown party.

2 Likes

Probably not, I’ve tried baking them, mushing them up and frying them with other vegetables with varying degrees of success.
Straight from the tin and into the saucepan, no thanks!

1 Like