It's amazing what you find in tins!

Yes I’ve definitely seen mackerel in tins!

1 Like

Yes - there are a couple of tins lurking in my cupboard - John West do them.

Ta. Quick recipe for mackerel pate…packet of peppered mackerel and tub of soft cheese like Philadelphia.

Remove fish skin and blitz fish with cheese. Simple and delicious and a very easy starter. Lasts a few days in the fridge (can’ say how long as we scoff our way through it within 3 days anyway).

Might try using tinned stuff to see if it works out.

2 Likes

We always have tinned tuna at home, good with fried onion, mushroom, cremefraiche … as a pasta sauce. Not bad straight out of the tin BUT in oil is far superior, tuna in water is tough & chewy, not nice.

1 Like

Oh I adore tinned fish! I always have tins of Pilchards, mackerel, and sardines in my cupboard. I used to buy Tuna as well, but it has become far too expensive.

@Dextrous63 - Just seen - Tesco do their own tinned mackerel - in spiced tomato sauce - may just have to try them!

1 Like

I make this sometimes, using tinned fish

3 Likes

There’s special offers in tesco 4 tins together … can’t remember how much.

2 Likes

£3.50. No ta…that would feed me in other tinned fish for a fortnight!

1 Like

4 x tins = £3.50p - or - 8 x tins = £6.30p - bargains!

1 Like

Hi

Oily fish is part of my heart diet, but it has to be in water.

Drain a tin of mackerel in brine or water and mash with horseradish.

Great on toast with fresh cucumber and tomato.

6 Likes

@swimfeeders - Tuna with horseradish is tasty as well, Swimmy.

1 Like

Hey that sounds delicious, Swimmy! I’m going to try that…although I do mostly have fish with salad anyway.

I love tinned mackerel and sardines and it is a really good budget form of protein. Loads of recipes using it on our budget cooking site, I’ll look some out and put them on here

A secret vice of mine is Asda’s mackerel fillets in korma sauce🤣

Now don’t go rushing out to buy some, it’s weird and everyone else thinks it’s gross

But sometimes if I’m on my own for lunch I’ll just eat those out of the tin with a nice crusty buttered roll

1 Like

Pink or red salmon and cucumber (with vinegar) sandwiches…
cut into 4 'ickle triangles and eaten with a raised pinkie…
scrumptious!

2 Likes

@Maree I bet it would be even better with a lighly toasted pitta bread or a warmed mini naan.
I’ll have to look out for that!

1 Like

Don’t blame me if you hate it, my family do!

But I think it’s really tasty. Now you’ve got me thinking mini naan and a teaspoon of mango chutney?

And at 80p a can it’s a real bargain lunch, rich in protein, minerals and Omega 3

Tuna is one of the least nutritious tinned fish, though. Less Omega3 and minerals than mackerel, sardines and pilchards

2 Likes

My dear wife has canned foods, dried foods, ten 5 litres of water and a few of other things including spam… This was/is the Ukraine crises.

I picked up a few of these from B&M a little while back.
I can’t remember the price but I can remember they were pretty affordable.

To be frank I loath the smell of tinned mackerel but once used as an ingredient so to speak it’s delicious!

1 Like