Is life too long?

My Mum lived to nearly 97 and said she felt sad that she would never finish doing all the things she wanted to. She loved knitting, crochet, sewing, patchwork, writing poems, gardening, feeding the wild birds. She wasn’t much of a one for watching TV and liked to be doing something. She said she would like a few more years.

1 Like

You are doing well Crabby .
Lay of the Macca completely in fact never eat a sausage again they are full of nitrates !
I think it’s a good idea to use the bus pass to get around and keep warm and talk to people .some people who live alone never see anyone otherwise .

2 Likes

Bus drivers must see a lot of folks, but, I bet they don’t make a lot of contact.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is (if you’re a kind decent person that is!)… and for anyone curious, you might want to check out Cryonics :smiley:

1 Like

Some do , my Dad used to do this and the Polish bus driver missed him when he was gone .
he liked to talk to people on his bus and would sometimes make stops nearer peoples homes to help people if the weather was inclement ,
Unlike some of the ignorant English bus drivers who seemed to hate old people .

Exceptions exist everywhere although few and far between, one tends to remember them.

My ex neighbour was a bus driver. He was very much of the opinion that the last thing he wanted to do was make contact with some of his passengers :wink:

What do you think was the root of this arrogance?

1 Like

Been sworn at, insulted and and having to deal with some serious anti social behaviour, sometimes involving the police.

In some jobs, that is just another day at the office, it takes some personality to rise above it all, then, there is the possibility that a persons own demeanor can attract such encountered behavoiur.

1 Like

He’s a nice fella, family man and he did manage to rise above it. I’m being idealistic perhaps but it shouldn’t just be another day at the office.

The bus company is constantly recruiting drivers at 31k.
Not that I’ll be applying, my profile explains why!

I don’t believe the average person abuses bus drivers .
It should be part of the job description to be pleasant to the CUSTOMERS .

I don’t believe the average person behaves in that way either, there are degrees of bad behaviour of course.

I can’t comment on your bus service Muddy but drivers on the service we use are a friendly bunch. It’s not just the drivers that get it in the neck when things get unpleasant, it can be other passengers too.

What’s with CUSTOMERS in upper case? :slightly_smiling_face:

life is like a shopping bag, if you put nowt in, then thats what you will get out…
Bus’s when i first came to yorks the buss\es had a driver and a conductress, most were pleasant but there were exceptions… i got on the bus, from town to where i lived was 4 pence so when SHE came along i offered her a tripenny bit and a penny “four please” “tha what” “four please” i repeated in my Scots accent “tha what?, i wish you forign folk woud learn English before comming to our country” sigh “its our country its called the UK [lol] i have traveled all over the world and been understood, perhap you should have considered attending school before taking this job” “right” she rang the bell “get off” the bus stopped i smiled at her “you have more chance of getting pregnant than getting me off this bus” she rang the bell four times, the driver turned and looked back into the bus , they sat in their own little cabin, I stood up and pointed at my chest then i pointed at him and signaled driving, he shook his head and selected first gear and the bus set off, she stamped her foot in temper and demanded “fares please’” and stuck her hand out, but my fourpence had returned from whence it came, i looked up at her and smiled and mouthed ‘f#@k off’… i mean four. not umpteen …four…
"

2 Likes

My Mum was a bus conductress for over forty years Crabby, she would never treat a passenger in that way. You must have been on the wrong bus… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Life is definitely not too long. I intend to hold on to it for as long as possible, and they will have to drag me out of it kicking and screaming.
I’ve always tended to see the good in people and think that there are many more good people in this world than bad ones, but I’m careful not to be too complacent about the danger that could be lurking around any corner, so I try to avoid the dodgy areas.

I could start a conversation in an empty room, and often do. I’ve got lots of hobbies, and have always been happy with my own company, hence the life of long distance running. Unfortunately bits are starting to wear out, especially important bits, but as long as I can remember my name and put one foot in front of the other, I’ll keep going until I get relegated to doing jigsaws. The forum gives me lots of pleasure, just hearing about what all of you are doing, and occasionally getting stuff off my chest. You might be surprised to learn that I can alter my opinion based on something I’ve read on here. Just being part of a forum full of like minded and interesting people makes me want to hang around this life if only to see how some things turn out… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

i feel a mirror of your description except running
i was born upside down
my nose runs and my feel smell… [erm a wee bit of poetic licence there]
tho in my youth i was asked to join my local harriers [theres a word from the past, harriers]
anyway i refused not only was it extremely hard work it was dirty, AND you had to pay to do it the coach promised me if i joined i would run for Scotland before i was twenty… when i was twenty i ran from Scotland looking for a job…
but again like you i talk to anyone, i even talk to dogs…lol…i have an opinion about everything, but can be convinced otherwise by a reasond responce…lol

2 Likes

My mother was a clippie during the war.They got to one stop and she had to tell the queue they were full up and not even room for one more.One chap got out of the queue lifted her of the platform and said “now there is” ,got on and rang the bell.Happily everyone got the driver to stop and they managed to squeeze a few on.

2 Likes

Good story. She got her comeuppance that day. Good on you for standing your ground.

Sites such as this one are a great outlet for people. Hearing stories from the world over can be very uplifting. Especially for housebound people.
Relating our own stories, experiences and pictures brings joy to many.

1 Like

the kicker is i left Donny and got married and went to London for a couple of years then birmingham for thre years then back to Donny, and guess who was our next door neighbour…lol yes it was her… and my wanna be witty quip about more chance of getting pregnant than getting me off that bus… she had no kids… but i didnt remind her it was me and i didnt tell my wife…

2 Likes

What a great ending to the story.
Some people…do not deserve happiness.
Treat as want to be treated…

1 Like