Have You Ever Been On The London Eye?

I spent last week in London. First to view my daughter’s new place that she has bought and to celebrate her birthday and my other daughter’s engagement.
I love London but l couldn’t live there! We went to so many different places.
Thursday was her birthday and my other daughter had booked so many things for us to do.
First, afternoon tea at County Hall Library overlooking Big Ben. That was lovely and when the waitress heard what we were celebrating, she brought us each a glass of champagne on the house.
We had to knock that back quick as we were due on a boat for a cruise down the Thames. It was lovely.
Next it was joining a queue for the London Eye. I was petrified and wasn’t looking forward to it at all. But… once aboard and it rose so slowly l wasn’t so scared after all.
The views over London were spectacular and l didn’t want the ride to stop. It was so wonderful to be up in the sky!!
Lastly, we went to the Flat Iron Steakhouse in Covent Garden for a lovely steak meal.
It truly was a day to remember even though l ate too much!!

So l ask, have you ever been on the London Eye? If you did, did you like it? Were you scared?
Or is it something you’ve always wanted to experience?

3 Likes

Sounds like you had a wonderful day Art .I have been on the London Eye it’s great . I love London for a day I went up for the Olympics when it was in Greenwich.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Muddy, lt’s strange… because l thought l would be petrified at being nearly in the sky! Then l remembered l go on aeroplanes and l don’t bat an eyelid!!

Going through St John’s Wood to my daughter’s place, l noticed a lot of people, mainly Chinese and Japanese posing for photos on a zebra crossing and we had to wait until they dispersed. .
My daughter pointed out that we were in Abbey Road where the Beatles made their album many years ago!!
The pic of them crossing this zebra crossing was on the cover of the album.

1 Like

Didn’t you want your picture taken on the crossing too ?

1 Like

I went on the London Eye when I visited a few years ago, I did enjoy it. My ticket had a priority pass so I didn’t have to queue (it was part of a package which included the rail fare, a trip on the Thames and accommodation).

Didn’t get my photo taken.

2 Likes

I stumbled across it when looking for Lords.It spooked me for a bit,I knew the place but I’d never been there before.

1 Like

Hate London, over crowded noisy and full of foreign people on holiday or whatever

1 Like

I empathise, it must be hell living so close.

1 Like

Glad you had a great time, Art.

When you say you love London but wouldn’t want to live there, I know what you mean - I feel the same.
I did live in London for a couple of years when I first left home in my teens.
I lived in a YWCA hostel then, so it was great fun sharing with lots of young women from different parts of UK and foreign students - we had a great time exploring London together.
I had gone there to work and I enjoyed my job but I quickly decided I wouldn’t want to settle down there long-term.

Now, I love to visit London for a couple of days, have a few things planned to do and leave time for a mooch around.
I love taking a boat ride up the Thames and I’ve been on the London Eye twice - I loved it. The views are fabulous from up there.
The second time I went up, with a different friend who hadn’t been on it before, we had the pod all to ourselves and a much clearer sky, so it was even better.

1 Like

I went on it years ago, a romantic sunset excursion with some prosecco thrown in. I’ve felt scared on mountain cable cars because being stranded suspended above a valley is not on my bucket list, but the London eye is very tame. I did once start crying in a bucket seat on an enormous big wheel in Paris, but it was totally open with no restraints and bf at the time thought it was funny to start rocking the chair…

1 Like

The brother lived in London so I was a regular visitor - but always glad to come back to Yorkshire.

Yes - have been on the London eye and on the smaller version that was in York for a while. Enjoyed both experiences very much.

1 Like

I used to work in London…I hated it. I got the train down on Mondays and I was usually back in Yorkshire Wednesdays blinking hated going…needs must and the job paid well so I persevered…did it for three years that was enough.

Yes been on the London Eye :eye:

1 Like

We went on there for my 50th, a few yrs ago now ,walked over to the houses flipped it the bird, then went down to give a nod to Churchill,took a boat trip down to the tower, not a bad day out all in all .

1 Like

Liked the eye but, my favourite visit is to Greenwich, where you can put a foot either side of the Meridian.

You could, also, do that, where I was brought up, in East Yorkshire, so it was a sort of “thing” for us!

1 Like

Oh stop it you lot, you’re making me so homesick :disappointed_relieved: I’d love to go back home and live in London again

But I do get to visit lots.

I’m glad you enjoyed the Eye. When we lived in London and had visitors, it was one of the things we always did with them and it always went well. When I get up there, I’m like a tour guide because I point out all the things you can see to my visitors, (like my old house and Wembley stadium!) and usually end up with a load of random tourists listening in :rofl:

Have you been up the Shard? Incredible views from there too👍

1 Like

Ive been to London several times, walked past The London Eye and never felt the urge to go on , i get weak knees at heights.
Glad you enjoyed your time in London .

1 Like

Mr B and I went for a few days to London with our son and grandson. It was a whirlwind trip, taking in so many sights, including a trip to Hamleys for the 4 year old, and a ride on the London Eye. Our son had booked the tickets in advance, priority tickets so we didn’t have to queue. It was an amazing experience, picking out all the landmarks - both Mr B and I had worked in London when we were younger, so we kind of knew what and where to look for these.

It wasn’t until we were back on terra firma that our son told us he was terrified of being up there, and hadn’t we noticed that he’d stayed in the middle of the pod, away from the windows, for the entire ride? And this is the person who’s been all over the world, often travelling alone, even taken a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon!

Sadly the day we went on the Eye was dull and overcast, so I’d love to do it again on a clearer, brighter day.

1 Like

I love London and would never leave this great place.

But next month I will be doing something which I have always wanted to do since I was a child and have never got around in doing so.

Yesterday I booked a £5 ticket that on the 11 of Sept I will watch the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London.

2 Likes

No phography it states in the rules ,which is a shame it would have been nice to have shared in your experience…
Enjoy your time …

1 Like

Yes, I have been on the Eye a few times. Love it. Scared of heights, mind, but as long as I am in an enclosed space that is ok. Haven’t been on the Shard but did do the top floor of the first Canary Wharf tower before it became inhabited by offices and workers, and have also been to the Roof Garden, on another tall building (in St Mary Axe I think.) That was free on production of ID.

I love looking out over London.

1 Like