Have You Ever Been On The London Eye?

They had a similar “eye” in Birmingham next to Symphony hall. Not sure whether it’s still there but it was a sort of competition with London back in the noughties.

1 Like

I have been up the main tower of York Minster - does that count? You can see for miles.

One reason you never see ‘skyscrapers’ in York is because no-one is allowed to build anything taller than the Minster.

1 Like

I’ve done that as well Tabby, such amazing views. I also went to the very top of the dome of St Peter’s in Rome - 320 steps we climbed, round and round the dome, and then out onto the viewing platform. Absolutely breathtaking views (and quite literally, a breath taking climb!!) Here’s one photo I took:

4 Likes

My sister lives in London and lived there for many years. My son lives there too. But it isn’t a place I’d want to live in. Yes, there are some fine buildings and other attractions. So, yes as a place to visit. And no, I haven’t been on the London Eye.

1 Like

No, I have never been on the London Eye, and doubt that I would either, because I don’t like heights, and I don’t like London either. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes i’ve been on the Eye. Loved it but having skied for 1/2 weeks for 20 years I’ve long lost my fear of heights

1 Like

Never really been to London, only passing through to get to somewhere else.

1 Like

Glad you had a great day, Art! :grinning:

Yes, we went on the London Eye 12 years ago. It was a brilliant experience, the views from the top were amazing.

DSC06697

DSC06705

DSC06698

DSC06702

DSC06699

2 Likes

DSC06701

4 Likes

Glad to hear you had a good time Art…
I haven’t been on the London eye , I guess it looks cleaner from up there.

I stayed in London for a couple of weeks once and hated every moment I found it grubby and unappealing , give me the country or sea views and day.

1 Like

I really liked London when I lived there, I lived in Finsbury Park on Seven Sisters Rd opposite the Astoria Cinema and at the top of Brixton Hill just north from the South Circular. So much going on there in the 60s and 70s.

I used to go to a great club called The Marquee which booked fantastic bands, I think it was in Soho (Waldour St? rings a bell) but where ever it was I absolutely loved it.

3 Likes

I worked there in the 60’s but lived in Reading.Never went to the Marquee but The MiddleEarth every Saturday night with the legendary John Peel.I really liked London too but I was a lot younger then

caricature, Did you wave to people on the bridges? The guide on the boat said, ‘lf you wave to the people on the bridges and they wave back, then you will have five years good luck’!!

They waved back at me! Yippee that means l am going to have a big lottery win… but wait, l’ve just remembered, l never play the lottery!

1 Like

You quite likely would have seen my brother’s band there - they had a regular weekly slot for a long time in the late 60s and through the 70s!

2 Likes

I’m with you there Bruce, loved the Marquee in Wardour Street, all painted black inside, two bars.
We used to see the punk/post punk bands there, The Lurkers, The Adicts, The Vibrators to name but a few!

It was bands like Pink Floyd, Colosseum, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Who, Clash, Yardbirds, Jethro Tull etc when I went, Punk was yet to come.

1 Like

Must’ve been good times!

I don’t think the fellas on the door would have let me in then.
Even if they did I’d have a nightmare trying to reach my pint of Holsten from the bar :wink:

Ha Ha Alcohol wasn’t my drug of choice in those days.

1 Like

It is encouraging to see more people being positive about London than negative. Its a big, busy, expensive city so not everyone will love it, but if you don’t like it then don’t go. You don’t need to tell everyone what you don’t like.
I lived and worked in London for nearly 30 years and I think I know it pretty well and enjoyed it almost all the time. But 30 years of commuting was enough for and I’m now out in the countryside. I go back often, in fact just returned today from a quick visit. And while the commuting was a pain everyone just gets on with it. It used to make me laugh that those who complained most were out of towners (funnily enough often with northern accents). I remember rushing up an escalator to catch a train. A couple were stood side by side in front of me. I politely asked ‘excuse me please can I get past’. What I got was an earful of complaining about how rude Londoners were with their rushing everywhere and demanding people get out of the way. Hilarious.
PS been on the eye many times - partly because I was working in an office overlooking it as it was raised into place.
PPS I loved the places in London to eat and drink with views: Oxo Tower, restaurant in the Tate Modern, cafe in Waterstone’s on Piccadilly, bar on top of the Belfast warship ticket office, bars in the Shard, restaurant in festival hall, etc.

3 Likes

Wasn’t told that .