Have You Ever Been On The London Eye?

I’ve been to London many times (I’m a ILuvLondon person ) sightseeing and passing through onward to holidaying in various places on the South coast .
Yes I’ve been on the Eye,Art .
Next time you go ask your daughter to take you walkies under the Thames !:grinning:

2 Likes

Love it Love it :cupid:
Usually enjoy half a dozen day excursions to London in the Summertime to meet up with friends, lots of chat, walks along South Bank, Eye, Shard, market, eat out, go to a Prom…alas not this year.

P.S. have never encountered rudeness

3 Likes

Oh no, us Londoners must be slipping!

Have you tried standing on the wrong side of the escalator on the tube? That usually sends us into meltdown …… :rofl:

2 Likes

Whatever do you mean, Strathmore?
Are we now only allowed to post here as long as we agree with others now?
Try telling them that in all the Politics threads!

Some might not like Sheffield, or Manchester or anywhere else, nothing wrong with that, so why on earth should we pretend to like London - or shut up? :thinking:

I love London.

Family & friends out in the west country don’t get it. I had planned to retire there but I now know I wouldn’t last long. And there’s no going back. So we are here to stay.

My mother brought me up for the day on the train a few times back in the 50s, early 60s. I was hooked on something I can’t explain … people, even people you don’t know & never will are a million times more fascinating than the farm animals …

They say London’s expensive. Accommodation is for sure, eating out, forget it, take a fortnight in just about any other country, eat out twice a day in style at a more realistic price, served by people with pride. Day to day living, just about everything is the same or cheaper than the rest of the country … for the streetwise who know where to look.

London is a friendly place for the friendly. Rich & poor live next door to one another. I love that: anywhere else would be ghettoed.

Millennium Wheel is what they called it back in the day … did a corporate freebie with champagne before it went mainstream.

3 Likes

Do they still do evening rides? It’s worth seeing it if they do and quite exciting.

Worth knowing that they are really good with disability access. You can book wheelchair places in advance, assisted access and no queuing

Stand on the right of the tube escalators so allowing people in a hurry to go up or down .

1 Like

I do like a fast learner. :wink:

I’m not a Londoner but it’s one of those things I have always known .

Oh goodness, this a personal bugbear of mine, and I won’t apologise. If you want to go faster, use the stairs! Escalators are for the slower ones :rage:

It is true that whenever London is mentioned you always get the little flurry of the inevitable “I couldn’t live there” and “dirty, crowded” “unfriendly” comments.

I don’t think when other people mention their home towns you get quite the same knee jerk response? Or maybe it’s just that London gets talked about more?

But it’s OK, us Londoners don’t care, we just see it as confirmation we’re doing it right ‘cos we don’t want you country folk there making eye contact, saying good morning and standing on the wrong side of the escalator anyway! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

And we know for sure there’s no place worth visiting north of the end of the Metropolitan line :smiling_imp:

I’d thoroughly recommend a trip on The Thames Clippers, Its just such a pleasure sitting in the stern out in the open and cruising under the bridges.

It’s impressive how quickly they get people on and off at the stops before moving on.

If I do go back to London it’s an early start and an early return, I just don’t appreciate the hustle and bustle anymore.

1 Like

Yes, that is lovely. And the boat rides down to Kew Gardens, or Greenwich, or to see the O2 and a ride across the Thames on the cable car

It’s an interesting walk from the O2 down to see the Thames Barrage

1 Like

and there is no excuse not to.

On your journey to the centre of the earth, you’ll pass 20 “please stand on the right” illuminated signs.

Maree, all I said in my post was that I didn’t like heights, and didnt like London. That is all I said. Nothing offensive about “dirty, unfriendly” or anything like that.

For what its worth, I was born in London myself, Finchley, and still dont like it, and have never wanted to go back there.

I am like Meg, I need fields and trees around me, not noise, traffic, and crowds.
We’re all different, nothing to get offended about. I certainly wouldnt take offence if anyone said they didnt like country smells and tractors! :wink:

Aw, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean you personally :two_hearts:

It’s just I know if I mention my home city, I’ll always get someone telling me why they couldn’t live there! (and nobody asked them to!:rofl:)

But there we go, city life isn’t everyone’s cup of tea

I read an interesting thing recently that said people like me, born and raised in a city, are soothed by the sounds and rhythms of the city in the same way country dwellers are soothed by the quiet and bird song of the country

I think that’s probably true, when I first moved down here the quiet kept me awake :yawning_face:

I never really got those big green spaces with sheep in them, fields I think you country folk call them :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Would that be Hampstead?

What really narks me is when folk refer to London as Londonistan, I hate that.

I’m a Townie.
I do love the countryside, but I need to see people walking past my front windows on their way to the big park at the end of the road, the students wobbling about on their scooters or off to play footie with their mates, or gathering in the street for a natter with a couple of my neighbours, and so on…wouldn’t swop it for anything.

3 Likes

How nice to see some positivity about London. It’s a wonderful capital city and we should be proud and appreciate it.
I just love London for its ‘buzz’, it’s history, the wonderful buildings and monuments.
There is so much to see and something for everyone.

My daughter loves it and knows all the places to go to and where they are! I would get lost and probably still be in the tube station now, fathoming my way out.
I had to smile every time l veered to the middle on the escalators and she kept reminding me to stay on the right!
It’s a good job l did, the rate some of those people dash down the escalator steps at a great speed is frightening.

4 Likes

Except they stand on the wrong side! You drive on the left yet stand on the right on the escalator, how does that make any sense?

1 Like