Guys, tell me your stories!

Hey guys!
I’m a 51 year old man, wrestling coach, physical therapist of 29 years, and I primarily weight train for exercise. My passion is keeping men in their 50s and beyond in great physical, mental and emotional condition, so we can all live our 2nd 50 years with fun and adventure.
I’m proposing an Adult Ed class in my area for exercise in men over 50. I’m actively getting information on people’s stories with their own exercise experiences.
Does anyone have: Successes? Pitfalls? Wisdom to share? Things you would like to know more about?
Thanks for commenting below so we can all start talking!
Ken

3 Likes

Try me for starters. I am 84 years old. I enjoy jogging. I have two bikes, one is my racing bike i’ve had for years, one I keep in an out building which is on rollers. I use both at least twice a week. I walk three dogs, two of them are German Shepherd dogs. They get four walks a day (weather permitting). I also do fun runs for a Cancer charity. I don’t waste my money by joining a Gym which, like many others, would forget to attend. My motto is Move more Eat less. Oh and welcome to the site young man. :wink: :grinning:

2 Likes

Great motto EZ, just keep an eye Cardio Vascular System, forget building muscle at this age, the less stack you have t carry about the better

1 Like

No way do I even attempt to lift weights anymore. Those days are long gone. Keeping fit is my sole aim these days.

1 Like

My wife keeps me on me toes ,so to speak, and when she shouts at me I jump and run at her demands.

I only got back into weight training back in January and I’m so glad I did, it’s not a chore, rather a pleasure!

I’m probably a bit old school but it works for me using the pyramid technique as far as sets go …

10 x
8 x
6 x
4 x

It doesn’t have to be set in stone, sometimes I’ll weave in a couple of extra sets and max out on low reps.
I definitely need to work on my CV …static gym bikes are boring, cycling is for going places…new mountain bike soon! :+1:

The first gym I went to in 1972 was no more than a dark dingy little room with a couple of dumbells a bar bell and a skipping rope, a boxers gym maybe. Wood floor, a latrine and a basin with a cold water tap. I played sports into my 20’s and went to some gyms on and off iuntil I was about 40. Then just last year at aged 67 I joined up with a local gym. Goodness me the place is like a 5 star hotel. Carpets every where, enough lights to illuminate a city, banks of TV screens and rows and rows machines out of a sci fi movie. The people are fun too. 7 stone young women who must be living on bird seed furiously trying to lose weight, a slew of chunky 30 something men grunting and groaning under heavy weights, 60/70 year old men telling every one they feel like they are 19. And everyone checking their phone while sipping from their water bottle. All the while loud pop music blaring out driving the fitness fanatics onward. It really is a comedy show. But I wouldn’ miss it for quids

2 Likes

No one should pay to keep fit, you should be paid to keep fit, simples :grin:

1 Like

There is a gym 3.5km from me I have found that walking there and back gives me the exercise I need without the expense of membership.

1 Like

Had these pop through the door yesterday courtesy of Amazon.

The two on the left are the only two vitamin supplements I take. I stress the word supplements… definitely not intended as a substitute!

1 Like

Your gym sounds very luxurious!!
Yeah, I do have a bit of an issue with the mobile phone thing. Very annoying when I’m waiting for a particular bench or piece of equipment and there’s some Muppet sitting there chatting away organising their social life or browsing the web. It’s meant to be a gym not an internet café!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Hello EZ_Rider!
Good to hear from you!
Jogging, walking and biking in your 80s is absolutely fantastic and enviable. Do you have anything that motivates you to keep you going? A certain goal to accomplish or life philosophy? With so many men being inactive, we can all learn from what keeps you off the couch and on your feet.

1 Like

Hello spitfire!
Do you have a certain exercise routine you enjoy doing? Do you use a system for eating less?

Hi chilliboot!
Thanks for replying.
Did it take a while to build back up to weight training at the gym? When I take some time off, and then start back up, I’m sore as hell for a while.
What lifting exercises are you doing?

1 Like

Hi Waimha!
Ha! That’s exactly why I work out at home now. Too many people presenting themselves and not enough people getting the work done.
Do you use the machines there, or do you use the free weights?
I’ll be 52 next month, so I can get away with only using only free weights for now.

I walk huge distances (12-15 miles a day) according to my recording device burning on average 1450 calories, one of the measures I use to gauge my fitness is, I have to make delivery to the tenth floor of a high rise flat, since covid, I have not used the lifts, it’s 140 stairs, at the top I can hold a normal conversation without being out of breath as such, this cardio vascular approach is more important than building body mass IMO.
As far as diet is concerned, I eat pretty much anything because there always is a trade off.

2 Likes

No worries… it’s an interesting topic!
I’m about seven weeks into training and touch wood it’s going well. I thought at sixty two it’d be a bit of a nightmare but I’m making gains physically and feeling so much better in mind and body…and what’s more it’s fun!

I do a five day training week and have two days off , essential for recovery. For example tomorrow it’ll be shoulders…

Seated shoulder press

Upright barbell rows

Dumbbell shrugs

Lateral raises

At the end of each training week I’ll hit the upper chest

Incline presses on the Smith machine followed by incline flys on the bench.
Then I’ll weave in a few extra peripheral/ isolation exercises to compliment previous workouts during the week.

Lat pulldown wide over grip, I’ll hit lat pulldowns narrow under grip on my back and biceps day.

Reverse barbell curls
Dumbbell front raises

Abs as and when on the incline bench :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

Hi Ken
I have always been a bit of a fitness freak starting way back in the late 50s when I joined a cycling club and used to race most weekends, I kept that going up until I got married. These days I have a huge family Including 19,yes nineteen, Grandkids and that’s all the motivation I need to live as long as I can. I had to spend a few days in hospital last year and I could see how it affected them. Now I’m frightened to get ill. :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi NoSuper4U.
Actually I would like to start running again.
Jogging at first.
But I have a tight hamstring issue so am doing other stuff while
trying to figure that issue out.

Mostly I use machines as it is safer than free weights.
I dont have a programme.
I just do what ever the body and mind say I can do.
I mix up my cardio choices.
Eliptical joggers, rowing machine, Static bike, cross trainer (backwards) and the stair walker.
Same with weights whatever the body feels like doing.
Chest presses, glutes, calf raisers, leg curls leg extrensions.
At my age I prefer light weights and high reps not heavy weights.
I quite like the kettle bell dead lift and swings.
Also step ups with 4kg dumbell in each hand.
Battle ropes/sled for variety.
Usually around 70min is plenty 3 times a week.
Get plenty of rest in between.
Not trying to lose weight as that is a food thing any way.
Just getting to the gym is a success in itself I reckon.
Its cheap too only £3.50 per week.
And seeing all the different people is fun :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Only £3.50 per week for all this lot .
Stay as long as you like too:smiling_face:

1 Like