Guys, tell me your stories!

:laughing:

1 Like

Bloody good session this morning!
Upright rows… one of my all time favourites.

It’s about keeping strict form and technique, something that would have been lost on me when I was younger, less of the gung ho and macho these days… probably just as well!

Treated myself to a couple of extra sets…two reps at 40kg and that was that :+1:

1 Like

I took my daughter’s dog for a walk this morning.

1 Like

I’d love to build a gym in my garden! I haven’t been since the pandemic :cry:

Roll on the summer so I can start going for my hikes again :smiley:

Apparently the science says otherwise Paul - the more muscle mass you have (note, muscle mass and not fat!) the better, at least in terms of life expectancy :023:

1 Like

One can regret extending life expectancy!

Aw don’t say that - I want you all to live for as long as possible :hugs:

1 Like

I walk a lot.It’s cheap and it’s easy (at the moment anyway)
Gyms I find a bit intimidating

1 Like

Where did you find that vid of one of my workouts Spitty… :open_mouth:

I’ve never bothered with all that muscle stuff Azz and I leave blokes with the guns and six packs behind on the roads, fells and hills, and at 73 there’s nothing wrong with me…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s a great lifting program. I think you hit on a great point of feeling better mentally as well. The mental and emotional boost we get from regular, challenging exercise is typically overlooked and undervalued. For many of us, the mental and emotional lift we get is reason enough to weight train and exercise.

1 Like

Hi waimiha!
Losing weight is a food thing. I wish more people understood this. I always tell my clients: It is infinitely easier to avoid 500 calories, than it is to burn it off. I agree that lifting really heavy weights are best left for people under 50. If we’re not getting ready for a competition, why increase our chance of injury? We’re all playing the long game now, and we can’t get stronger if we’re injured.

1 Like

Whoa.
That place is huge. Big and bright gyms are a great way to stay motivated in the dark winter months.

Well done chilliboot. That rack with the windows and clean floor. I could lift there everyday for the rest of my life.

1 Like

AZZ,
You are exactly correct with the science. Harvard Medical has run studies that showed(especially in men) that grip strength is the best indicator of heart health and life expectancy.

1 Like

I guess it depends on the life you’re extending. I don’t think about living more years, just better ones.

1 Like

I would love to post a picture or two. Does anyone have a direction they could point me to educate myself on how to do that?
Thanks guys!!

Seriously though NoSup4U, some people are equipped with more fast twitch muscles and make good sprinters, weigh lifters etc where the power can be explosive, and some people are equipped with slow twitch that release energy over a long period. I know that a slow twitcher can improve their fast twitch, but they will never sprint like Usain Bolt, and people with fast twitch will never make good long distance runners…However…
As I approach my autumn years (or even early winter years) I have many memories of long and ultra distance events, nights running around a floodlit track with fellow club members, and recollections of expeditions and events where many things, both good and bad happened. Good friends who were there through the mud and bad weather. The elation and euphoria of finishing a 40 mile race across some of the wildest country England has to offer, and the excitement when planning the next…How long will memories last of the hours spent crunching weights in the gym?
This is my Gym…

And here…

![21 17|690x416](upload://aDNuNaQ0BZprMG0PMF1mmXaRLJM.jpe
And here…

And all weathers…

3 Likes

I think you are lucky because you had an active job Robert… so you’d probably find your leg muscles are bigger than the average person your age :smiley:

I read that that’s actually a good indicator of risk of heart disease - the bigger your thighs the less chance of it! So keep walking and hiking :023:

1 Like

Just drag the photo into the post or click on the photo icon in the post creation box :023:

Thank you.

1 Like