Getting fit for 2019 - Are you going to?

Oh for Christ sakes, Wikiman! Give it a bloody rest!
Of course diets work. The people who partake in them just need willpower that’s all. Determination to carry out their aims and reach their goals.
Wind it in for once you buffoon!

lol soft lad. I’ll post what I want thanks so don’t fret your little head.

Diets are a poor choice and always will be. For the vast majority of people they simply don’t work. They create a temporary change which then reverts back to norm. Most people put back on any weight lost and then usually more besides.

The statistics of Weight Watchers and Slimming World bear out these words. If their diets worked, people wouldn’t need to keep coming back to slimming clubs time and time again.

Just eat the right foods and the body will adjust. Really simple. Well . . . for most people anyway!

Just eat less.
No fat people came out of Auchwitz.

Wrong AGAIN Realist

There’s actually FOUR definitions of what diet is and Realist always uses the LAST one to define diet and ONLY uses that one. It’s the last definition , which is to reduce calories but the other three definitions do not include restricting calories at all.

First definition … food or drink regularly consumed . It gives an example of a diet of fruits and vegetables is considered a vegetarian diet.

Second definition … habitual nourishment … links between diet and disease . ( meaning certain diets ( ways of eating ) can prevent disease ) which is what a nutritionist or dietician does. Note: that’s MY trade

Third definition … the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason . An example is given …a low sodium diet

Another example is a diabetic diet for those with diabetes

Another example is that I’m on a gluten free diet because I am celiac

NOTE: As a nutritionist, this is actually what we do for people; create a diet to match the person which rarely, if ever, is about reducing calories.

And finally the fourth definition which is the one Realist ALWAYS uses is :

A regimen of eating and drinking sparingly to reduce one’s weight and the example used is “ going ON a diet,” which often doesn’t work for various reasons.

Realist and I have argued THIS very point many times because he ALWAYS uses the LAST definition which is to ‘restrict calories’ to lose weight which isn’t actually the true meaning of diet yet he will argue the point until the cows come home.

IF this WAS the true definition of diet then dieticians and nutritionists wouldn’t be needed. We’d all be out of employment and obviously this isn’t true since they are used in clinics and hospitals. I worked for “ Sick Kids Hospital’ in Toronto and it definitely wasn’t to try and get kids to restrict their calories to lose weight.

My answer to Floydy’s question…YES

Now I have found a place with trampolines.
I haven’t done that, since I was at school.
But, I am going to start jumping my way fit this year.
So I will let you know how it goes.

And I apologize to Floydy for going on a tangent myself.
I’m a tad OCD too. :lol:

I’m really taking getting in shape seriously this year. I joined a huge gym which I feel somewhat intimidated by but I’m slowly getting used to being around more people which is probably a good thing. My husband is even more eager than I am and is going everyday the gym is open, which encourages me somewhat . After this holiday is over I will be better at sticking to my regular diet of food so should feel less stressed also.

I don’t think anyone really takes any notice Floydy.

Anyway, I did a one hour walk today. :-p Hoorah!

He’s normally on my ignore list of one person mate, but he’s contaminating my thread so I had to bollock him. I hate watching paint dry.:015:

Well done on your walk. Nice to blow away those New Year’s Eve festivities. All the best for 2019 bud :cool:
I went for a walk along Hornsea beach not far away away from me. It was blowing a gale but it sorted my hangover out.:slight_smile:

Bratti, it definitely helps when everyone under the roof is motivating. I’m pleased you and your husband are fueling each other’s workouts.

Sweetie Pie, are you looking at a full-sized trampoline? How extraordinary! Make sure you get all the safety accessories. Those things are super fun but they can be risky for back and neck injuries so get coaching. Leave it to you :-D!

Longdogs, where did you go? What did you see? Why aren’t you visiting on the daily exercise thread. It’s not daily, really just where we check in. Good for you :023:

Hi Surfer.

We went to a small seaside place called Seaton which is in East Devon. As always, I thought we would be the only ones there but I was surprised to see that thousands had come out for a nice walk. Not too cold either so it was very enjoyable.

In reply to the thread heading I have started to walk more. Not far at first, about half a mile did me in then decided to try with my walking boots on instead of ordinary shoes.
So far managed about 2 miles but it really did me in. I got extreme pain around one leg just below the hip and in the small of my back. Voltorol has helped quite a bit.

I have about 3 months to be able to manage about 4 miles possibly and climb at least 100 steps to get ready for the Japan trip. This is a great incentive ,lets hope the weather doesn’t ruin my plans
we have a great hill in Hastings with plenty of steps to climb so will have to go there a few times as well

From white house to top are the steps, just see the handrail

Some good ideas here. Stair climbing is great for legs abs and cardio and you’re never more than a couple hundred yards away from your car.

Stair climbing? No thanks! I do walk down six flights of stairs at work though. Walking up is not for me.

I must start doing yoga again. Dog walking is my only recreational exercise at the moment. It’s amazing how easy it is to just get into a mindset where you don’t exercise. Particularly when you’re really busy 24/7. Having experience of many injuries over the years limits the options somewhat.

Sweetie, be careful on that trampoline. I’m sure there’s something about the combination of ageing ligaments and intense impact that can’t be compatible.

IMO the best diet is everything in moderation. A little of what you fancy is good for the soul.

Fantastic climb and worthy goal to be in prime shape for Japan. If you keep at it, I am sure you’ll be ready.

I Googled Seaton - gorgeous! A shame about the crowds bur from what I saw, I can’t image that even a thousand like-minded people could have spoiled the day. Lucky you!

The yoga enthusiasts here got me back into yoga, and I realize now how much flexibility work I needed. Some of my friends do yoga only with a little walking and they are really happy with their results.

I’d like to hear about how you do with it. :smiley:

A bit of yoga and walking is fabulous for joint relief. You’ll feel ten years younger at least.

Diets DO. People don’t. Diet merely means “a change of diet” and if you change it successfully in the long term, it will work. Weak people set themselves up to fail. Brutal, but there you go.

As for your opinion that they do not work, “period”, well, having lost between 8 and 9 stone and kept it off for the last three or four years, I think your opinion is worthless. You really need to know what you are talking about before you are qualified to have an opinion.

Not unless, of course, it was the Weight-Loss Fairy waving her wand that did it. :smiley:

Hi Tachyon

Ignoring the silly element of this post all you are basically doing is playing with English terminology as another poster did earlier in the thread.

The term “going on a diet” for the vast majority of people means a TEMPORARY eating regime with the aim of losing weight. It is THOSE diets, specifically those that I maintain do not work.

It’s just crass to try lumping that well established terminology in with “diet” being defined as a permanent eating style such as a gluten free diet or vegan diet.

The 2 terms are clearly very different and most sensible people know exactly when a discussion is referring to the temporary “going on a diet” vs when it is referring to the other definition.

On a personal basis, when I change my eating habits permanently, such as deciding to cut out sugar, I don’t refer to that in terms of a “diet”. I don’t think of myself as being on a “sugar-free diet”. It is a life change and decision to stop buying sugar and putting it in drinks.

We can make generic statements such as “I have a healthy sugar free diet” where “diet” means an overall permanent eating style. I would not make the statement “I am on a sugar-free diet” which implies a temporary eating change.

I don’t honestly understand why some people struggle with the different definitions nor why there is a need to bring it up.

Everybody understands what is meant and implied by the statement “going on a diet”

Those diets don’t work.

A permanent change to eating habits is always what is needed and is the only way to truly and permanently lose weight. We need better life diets. What we don’t need is to go on “diets”.

Get a big active dog is my advice…:slight_smile:

No, I’m correcting YOUR sloppy terminology, hence your backpedalling now. In essence, you just like the sound of your own voice.

Just being silly Tachyon.

I raised the issue of useless “diets” when Mups posted up the details of an up and coming programme called:

“The Big Fat Lies about Diet & Exercise.”

which was described as:

“A documentary examining the pros and cons of the diet industry”

I made my definition of “diet” patently clear in the post too saying:

“Any “diet” is by definition just a temporary eating change and as such will soon enough come to an end at which point normal service is resumed.”

You appear to be desperately trying to find some way to assert that I’ve stated something other than what I said. Why would that be?

Regardless my stance is not changed. Going on a diet, is a waste of time. Only proper food education and understanding followed by a life change in eating habits is going to have the positive and permanent effects of health and weight loss that so many wish for. It’s not difficult really.