Film - the most recent you have seen?

Reminiscence - with hugh jackman futuristic great scandanavian female actor too - in the blade runner style - moody and sexy and keeps ya guessing

Forty Guns [1957]
Western
Talking Pictures.

Barbara Stanwyck Gene Barry

Showdown in Arizona between the Bonnell brothers, U.S.Marshals, and Jessica Drummond, the iron-fist rancher who controls the territory.

1 Like

The Wall - Pink Floyd on DVD, thouraghly enjoyed it, saw it on the big screen at Leicester Square many moons ago.

My son however was most unimpressed :wink::+1:

A mass power outage/possible cyber attack. Gigantic Tesla pile up. HaHa

https://twitter.com/i/status/1733124282534736138

Leave the World Behind, Julia Roberts, Netflix.

3 Likes

We just watched that, it was rather good. Scary in an under stated way and very possibly our future :scream:

3 Likes

love the Tesla scene. Musk is not amused.

1 Like

A bit of triviaā€¦.Julia Roberts was in Friends

So if Rose had watched the whole series, sheā€™d have seen her mum!

the answer is

West Wing

1 Like

Barbara Streisand can do no wrong - the film The Mirror Has Two Faces" is one of her best - she not only directs it but has great music ; great acting - one of her finest imo - and some star studded oldie actors too - the best!!

2 Likes

I remember driving up to London and doing the exact same thing. Couldnā€™t wait to see the film, having the album and seeing the show at Earlā€™s Court and remember seeing the cameras filming the audience. Shame the footage didnā€™t make the final cut (No pun intended).

I donā€™t think the film really did the music justice and although some of it was well done, I wasnā€™t overwhelmed with it. I had a chance to watch it again recently, but couldnā€™t really bring myself to sit through it again. Iā€™ll just stick to the album instead.

1 Like

Last week I was dragged to see The Hunger Games - Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.

Felt it was considerably less than the previous films which didnā€™t entirely work. The film was a freebie, so I wonā€™t complain too much.

To be candid Iā€™ve never been a Pink Floyd fan, no disrespect intended.
I suppose The Wall might be considered a bit too accessible for non believers, as a non believer I found the film quite moving in partsā€¦still do!

1 Like

I just watched How to Train Your Dragon. Itā€™s a kidsā€™ movie from 2010. A Viking boy befriends a dragon.

There are a couple sequels and a few series based on the movie. I had not seen the original but had started watching a couple of the series.

When I saw that it was going off Netflix, I decided to watch it. Itā€™s a cute movie, laugh out loud funny for me, heartwarming at the end. Lots of brute force since itā€™s about Vikings, but the boy does some interesting learning things to find out about the dragons.

I really liked it. Itā€™s from the creators of Kung Fu Panda, which I just watched and enjoyed and Shrek, that I liked too.

Expend4bles 2023

I can understand the disappointment with the latest film in the series. Itā€™s billed as an Expendables movie but morphs into a Jason Statham movie with a high-dollar supporting cast. Tony Jaa is the highlight to the new additions and he still can float like a butterfly. Most of the veteran cast members from the previous films are absent and Stallone only plays an extended cameo role. If this was marketed as a Statham movie it would have received a better score. As an Expendables flick, it just gets a 6 out of 10.

Godzilla (1998)

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS

This version of Godzilla is a difficult one to give a simple overall rating. Honestly, if Hollywood had just made this into a generic monster movie, kind of the way they did with Cloverfield, it would have easily been an above average movie, possibly even breaking into 4 star territory. The acting is above average (including the must-have flavor of the month, Jean Reno), the F/X are excellent for 1998 and the plot actually makes sense.

Nevertheless, the failure for this movie is that it was made by people not familiar with the franchise and/or what Godzilla means to his fanbase. Godzilla is to the people of Japan what Batman and Superman are to Americans, what Dr. Who and James Bond are to the British and what Shaft and the Black Panther are to the Black Community.

The demotion of Godzilla to that of nothing more than an over-sized animal working wholly upon instinct instead of the more humanistic level of intelligence that we in the fandom have come to know and expect was a slap in the face. Furthermore, the final scene where Godzilla is killed (a blasphemy only seen two other times in his 60 year history (Gojira (1954) and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995), the later being the planned end to the franchise in its entirety) by only three F/18s and a total of 6 missiles when entire armies have done nothing more than irritate the King of Monsters was beyond belief. For those not familiar with Godzillaā€™s accomplishments and reputation, imagine the outrage that would come from the respective communities if James Bond was taken out by a mall cop or Superman was killed by 3 six-year-old brats with baseball bats. Now you understand why Japanese movie-goers were storming the box-offices DEMANDING a full refund for this insult and why Toho quickly resurrected their dearly departed Kaiju less than one year later for probably one of the best movies in the entire franchise, Godzilla 1999 (Godzilla 2000 here in the United States).

All in all, as a monster movie, Godzilla gets 3.75 stars. However, for a Godzilla movie, it gets a 1 star rating. Iā€™ll cut the difference and meet them somewhere around the middle with a 2.5 star final score out of 5.

Relentless (1948)

A love story about a man, a woman, a horse, and how far he is willing to go to set things right. Nothing new, groundbreaking or innovative. A solid story that keeps you interested. 7 out of 10.

Hardball (2001)

Once upon a time in a land far, far away (the mid-1970s) this movie was known as the Bad News Bears. A fair recreation with a new era flavor. Ends up being a tearjerker at the end. 6 out of 10 stars.

Iā€™m really up to date :wink:. The most recent film Iā€™ve seen on the big screen is Breakfast Club (1985) and that was only because I accompanied a couple of young ladies who wanted to see it and I happened to like Ally Sheedy. At the end I had to admit that I really liked it :+1:

Silent Night Bloody Night (AKA Deathouse, AKA Night of the Dark Full Moon) (1972)

A slasher flick done almost a full decade before Jason and Michael Myers hunted down sex-crazed teenagers. It gets a solid 6 out of 10.

Bob Marley biopic ā€œOne Loveā€, recommended.

1 Like