Elderly people who exercise 'live five years longer'

I am also using my treadmill more often. It’s a manual one, which necessitates the need to hang on for dear life whilst jogging :smiley:

Apologies for typos in earlier post/s … my use of the iPad and digit need more attention

‘Biked’ down the lane a couple of times this evening and am still rubbish at stopping, but I did have the confidence to stand up (momentarily) on the pedals to inspect the roof of one if my sheds (formerly the darkroom).

YIKES … needs refelting :shock:

Rachel you are doing so well. Good for you girl. For making the effort. You are definitely inspiring me :smiley:

19 miles ridden today and at the end, it’s just a matter of carrying the bike up the steps before coasting to home:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/Mart44/ridesend1_zpshr8jfmxc.jpg

A nice scenic route Mart, far better than fume filled roads… :slight_smile:

I agree with you Mags, a lovely bit of scenery. You must be as fit as a fiddle Mart, going up them steps with a bike on your shoulder.

Lifting the bike is more an ‘under the arm’ job. The bridge is single-carriageway with traffic lights. It’s not possible to know if the light is red or green, so I have to choose the moment when joining the traffic. Usually quickly tag on to the end of the cars that are going in my direction. A bit of a change of mode after all that nice countryside.

Well done Mart!

It is International Yoga Day this Sunday. I am going to the Hindu Centre in the next town for 5 hours of Yoga. They have got speakers coming to give talks as well, plus a free vegetarian lunch thrown in.
Really looking forward to it.

http://smilys.net/allg_smilies/smiley3183.gif

Sounds good Mups. Enjoy.

How different we all are, for me it’s swimming 50 lengths a day. Also Clydesdale riding a few evenings a week and the daily hoof of several miles with the dog.

Don’t know if I posted here before. I have a simple activity tracker and physically active schedule. One feature I like about FitBit is having a virtual friend board that you can compete with. For instance last night I got home and checked the dashboard. There is one young man who playfully taunts me when he gets ahead. It was late night, but just a quick outing with each dog and left him in the dust. Also to clarify, my pups can be so happy getting out, your feet might not touch the ground for a mile or two.

Thank you Myra …
Looks beautiful Mart … carrying a bike up steps ? eeeeeek and riding 19 miles !!!

Well I have now cycled about 2 miles TWICE LOL and I remain fairly useless but was delighted to have managed it without falling off and running anyone over. My companion has been so complimentary about my cycling skill (in the singular) that I am beaming inside.

I should add that we drove to a local park/nature reserve, so there was no traffic.

The before pic …

http://mkjsworld.co.uk/forums/belly.jpg

Not ready to show you my usual muscular svelte torso yet but getting there …

http://mkjsworld.co.uk/forums/fittersmall.jpg

I’m now a lot lighter and able to run everyday :smiley: . Will soon be at my ideal weight I reckon which is under 10st.

I should be an inspiration to you all - get fit and slim!

Well done you Mark :slight_smile: very impressive :cool:

And I managed to fall off last evening when I tried to stop carefully. Toppled over :-p

Poo … shall practice some more this evening without falling over.

A low impact aerobics class, twice a week for me. It’s for older people and we have a good laugh. Outings are arranged too, so a social club also. I love it.

Something good about trackers are they can give you that extra nudge sometimes. I just looked at my dashboard of others I compete against daily. I took my girl out walking earlier-she’s dog aggressive and early evening is when other pups are out…No fun when she tries to take me with her howling at other innocent dogs so I brought her home early. Now it’s late enough we can walk alone…and step my way up the dashboard as well…Win/Win!

That sounds like something I should do but I know I won’t. Never been any good at joining stuff unless dragged along by a best friend … or Mum ! :wink:

My cycling last evening was better :smiley: I’m still pretty useless though and when I got on my trusty steed, I thought I’d only manage a few minutes. Surprised myself by going round the whole track without stopping and I was less panicky.

I actually managed to look at the scenery a couple of times BRIEFLY, instead of staring at the ground ahead and I’m getting a feeling for the gears.

Thank goodness I have ‘me bloke’ with me :shock: I have very little sense of direction and even though we’ve done the same route 5 times now, I’m sure I’d get lost on my own.

Well I have been struggling for weeks but I went for my 5 day in a row run tonight for 6 miles and felt much fitter and stronger. Took my time but I felt I could have put my foot down if I wanted. At last a definite sign of improvement. Sure is hard getting running fit but worth while I’m sure.