Elderly people who exercise 'live five years longer'

Elderly people who exercise ‘live five years longer’

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32735723

Well I will go along with this after my experiment (kinda) that I have run in the last year.

What experiment?

Very little exercise, eat and drink to excess etc, the result of which I’m now 2 stone heavier and as unfit as hell. During this time I hurt my knee from the added impact of the weight on my knee when attempting to run the weight off.

Before the above I was hovering around 10st and able to easily run 10 miles. Last night I did 4x around the football field and had to stop for a while after each lap. I feel like I have aged 10 years at least.

You don’t have to but it looks like a good idea to exercise regularly; oh, and eat the right foods too.

Where is a box I can stand on?

1 Like

I agree although it has to be very fitted to the individual what exercise they do or it can do more harm than good. I am nursing torn ligaments in my knee where I went slightly too enthusiastically at trying to be fitter 3 weeks ago. Result I am less fit than when I started :confused:

Don’t expect too much too soon from exercise.
Build up very carefully, despite what the seventy year old marathon runner from down the street demonstrates. [by making it look easy]
He has probably spent spent a lifetime to get where he is today.
The human body will adapt to do anything you want it too, provided you give it time to develop; the older you are, the longer it will take. BE PATIENT…

Choose something you like doing, consistency is the key to getting and keeping fit. Consider it a lifetime quest rather than a flash in the pan. Getting fit and loosing weight are not good reasons to exercise, you will not keep it up. They might give you the incentive to start an exercise program, but your love of the activity you choose will take over after the novelty has worn off.

Sounds like you expected to come back at the same level that you were at when you stopped running Mark. A mistake I have made many times after a lay off.

I certainly made a few mistakes when starting back. One step at a time it seems now - literally. Soft ground underfoot is the key I think when you are heavy.

Sure is scary how fast you can do down hill.

Mark,
Have you also noticed that as your fitness declines, appetite does not?..

Very much the opposite. It has been really difficult to cut back but now I seem to have got things under control. No, gorging yourself seems to be a very natural thing to do.

A treadmill’s a good idea,You can set it to suit Your needs…You can also watch Tele’ and eat an apple at the same time :~)…works for Me when the weather is bad like it’s been here.

That’s a good idea May, sadly don’t have room for one but perhaps when we move although then I hope we will be somewhere where we can walk outside easier.

Elderly people who exercise ‘live five years longer’

Mmmmm :017: five years more as a healthy me would be nice but I wouldn’t want five years more in a nursing home :frowning:

I am hoping three brisk walks a day and gardening will be enough to keep me fit :slight_smile:
I eat healthily anyway, I am lucky I guess in that I like healthy food not junk.

I find in the winter when I can’t walk so far and garden and am less fit I eat more . I eat less when active and fitter I guess because when I am occupied with other things I am not thinking about the next meal :-).

I lost 6lb decorating the house, rubbing down paintwork is a great work out

Blimey Meg, I eat like a horse when I am out running four days a week, I also eat like a horse if ever I’m not running - perhaps through injury - but since I retired, I treat running with a more leisurely attitude, [not the need for speed] and [touch wood] have not sustained any injury’s for a couple of years now.

Well running or not don’t eat for too many horses Robert :lol:

Aye You’re right Meg…when I’m really busy as I have been for a few days painting,I don’t think of food…I also think I eat more if I’m not so active and I get bored…munch munch :~(

I still go to my local gym and do 3 or 4 circuits - I can be in and out in less than an hour and that includes 10 minutes hoola hooping.
I was not well a while back and lost 7lbs but I think it’s going back on now. Have to be careful as we get older, being too thin can be very ageing so I don’t aim to lose weight but tone up and keep fit, generally.

It might be worth checking out your local Age UK, to see if it has a gym like my local branch does. This one has 3 bikes, a cross-trainer and 3 treadmills as well as about 10 or 12 machines for building up various muscle groups, all of the machines being hydraulic, so no loose weights to bother with.

There’s no membership fee, and it only costs £1 per session and a session can be for as short or long a period as you like. You can pop in for a brisk 10 minute walk or you can spend all day in there. It’s a nice atmosphere because no-one has anything to prove, and people are very sociable. Once you’ve been in for an induction with the fitness coordinator, you’re good to go.

I train about 3 or 4 hours a week, usually, but prefer more if I can fit it in.

I’m only 52 I think ageuk might think me too young = doesn’t happen often these days :wink:

I hired a treadmill May and I really enjoyed it. I liked the fact you could do certain programmes on it. I’m thinking of hiring it again.

Other than that its walking and swimming for me.

[quote=“Myra, post: 653659”]
I hired a treadmill May and I really enjoyed it. I liked the fact you could do certain programmes on it. I’m thinking of hiring it again.

[QUOTE]

Last year I bought an inexpensive, manual treadmill and quite enjoy it.
It’s also useful for hanging the washing on, so def a good buy

[quote=“Rachel, post: 653664”]

[quote=“Myra, post: 653659”]

Last year I bought an inexpensive, manual treadmill and quite enjoy it.
It’s also useful for hanging the washing on, so def a good buy

:smiley: Rachel I had an exercise bike that also became a clothes horse :wink:

[quote=“Myra, post: 653710”]

[quote=“Rachel, post: 653664”]

Eminently sensible :wink: