Does anyone use a pedometer?

Does anyone use a pedometer :slight_smile:

I must walk miles a week with Chloe and it would be interesting to know how far I actually do walk so I have ordered a pedometer to check my milage.

I am hoping it might prompt me to walk even further :-).

1 Like

Yes I use one when trying to use weight I try to add steps each week, I accidently used it at work one night and was amazed at how far I walk just cleaning an office :!:

Can you describe how it works and where you put it?
Do you wear it like a watch, or a garter, or does it go in your pocket?
And which is a good reasonably priced one?

I walk a lot and have been thinking of getting one.
I know you wear them near your hip bone because it measures your strides. I would say the front pocket of a pair of jeans would be ideal.:slight_smile:

My first one was free and I clip it to my waist band so it counts my steps, my second was about a fiver and I do the same with that.

I don’t know if more expensive ones are better never tried one.

I use one all the time because I like to make sure I walk at least 5,000 steps a day. Ideally it should be 10,000 but I rarely manage that number.

I’ve had many different ones, most conk out after a few months but my current one, and best by far, I’ve had for at least a year and it came from Aldi for under £10 I think. It clips onto my waistband and works by movement.

Ruth I am getting one from Amazon, there are plenty to choose from

Carol the one I am getting clips onto clothing or goes around the neck :slight_smile:
I know with some of them you measure the size of your pace and it uses to help calculate the distance walked :slight_smile:

:lol: I can believe it Julie :-)even vacuuming floors up and down in a whole house for cover quite a few paces.

i have had my tanita for 3yrs and love it. it can be worn like a pendant ,in a pocket or in a bag. i’m always checking to see how many steps i’ve done and if a bit short will march on the spot if necessary as i hate to not reach my daily goal. it definately motivates me to move more.

Val looking at the reviews on Amazon a lot of them don’t seem to last long but they don’t cost much so you aren’t losing much if they pack up .
As I walk the same fields every day I can easily measure them for distance then even if the pedometer breaks I will still know how far I have walked around any particular field :slight_smile:

I saw one of that make on Amazon CG but it only calculated in kilometers not miles.

On top of that Meg, its surprising how much walking you do at home with housework, cooking etc. I wouldn’t be without mine now, I keep checking to see how I’m doing.

I would like one that actually measured miles not steps, I can count those in my head - any ideas?:smiley:

mine does miles, the box has a small union jack in the corner.

Can I ask what make your is cinnamon?

I’ve just googled Amazon best sellers pedometers and there are 100!!!

No I have never had one but always thought about getting one just to see how much I walk each day.

Can anyone explain to me how one works when it’s hanging round your neck please?

ST by knowing your step measurment on some the miles you walk can be calculated .
Most measure miles one way or another…

I bought one for about £6 and its a clock and a pedometer it asks you to put in your weight and height so that your stride can be worked out and then you can adjust it as you gain or loose weight. You can also choose steps or KM its by cresta…

The cheaper ones can be as much as 30% off because they dont measure the stride and joggleing or jiggng about can cause a false reading.

With work and walking the dogs I make 10,000 about 5 days out of 7…
You would be surprised how much going to a garden center or a market clocks up though…I now use it to keep track of how far the dogs have walked too the best walk for them is if I do about 3,000 steps thats not too long for them so we can go to various places and yet keep their exersize fairly standard…

See post 9

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?p=689171#post689171