Do you use an Air Fryer?

Really, “air fryer” isn’t the best description of them. Think of them as a small oven that gets hot really quickly

So anything you can cook in your regular oven, you can cook in your air fryer.

And it’s particularly good at crisping things up ( hence the “fried” part)

You can also dehydrate fruit and veg in it, I make my own “sun dried” tomatoes

You can make bread, pizzas, baked potatoes, make cakes, make pastry, do cheese on toast Air fryer quiche is very good

You can even “boil” eggs by cooking them in their shell

Have a look at the recipe book for mine, it gives you a good idea of what it can do

https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/pages/tower-airfryer-recipe-book

1 Like

Nice idea. I’ll try that. Always seemed a bit too frivolously wasteful to use a conventional oven for that sort of thing.

Ooh, it’s beginning to sound a lot more useful now - my son told me I wouldn’t be able to bake pizzas or pastry in it - if I get one of these gadgets, perhaps I’ll be able to teach my son how to make more use of his! :rofl:

1 Like

Based on my own tiny little oven, I think the hardest bit would be getting the blooming food out. The container is deep and (in my case) about 6" in diameter. Am sure there are clever hacks around though.

1 Like

you can definitely make pizzas, baked potatoes, roast vegetables, heat up ready made pies, quiches etc very quickly and with nice even cooking.

1 Like

As I alluded to in an earlier post an air fryer is a useful tool in the kitchen. They tend to have a relatively small surface area so forget cramming in a slap up meal for a family of four, ain’t going to work.
Definitely worth experimenting with, I tried cooking some quality sausages the other day… gorgeous, no splatter screen required, all self contained and minimal washing up.
I’ve binned my marigolds, very liberating.

1 Like

How do I cook frozen fish and chips in an air fryer?

Easy-peasy, apparently:

I’m rapidly becoming convinced that I NEED one … :yum:

1 Like

Freudian slip? :grin::wink:

1 Like

But remember, size matters! You are limited it’s you have a smaller one

1 Like

That is true to an extent, I live alone so bought a small one but it is big enough to cook a quarter chicken and more fish, chips, hash browns, chops and sausages than I could ever eat at a sitting.

The only thing I have not really worked out yet is onion, I either burn the damn things or they are under cooked I have experimented with silver foil, oil, small stainless bowls and more but never quite got it right. Lately I have resorted to bunging them on the BBQ while the rest cooks in the Air Fryer

1 Like

Hi RoseRed! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting this thread. I don’t have an air fryer but this thread is tempting me to get one. I’ll keep an eye out during Black Friday sales.

1 Like

Forgot to say, if you get a drawer type one, some of these racks for pizza, dehydrating, baking and roasting and cooking two things at once are very handy

2 Likes

How are air fryers different from a fan oven - well it would have to be a ‘mini’ fan oven?

1 Like

Yes I do.

Air Fryer Oven, Uten 5.5L Air Fryers Home Use 1700W with Rapid Air Technology for Healthy Oil Free & Low Fat Cooking , Baking and Grilling with Recipe
So
I have been considering buying an air fryer for a while now and this thread has persuaded me to take the plunge. I have bought this one from Amazon. There seems to be a big demand for air fryers with many of the retailers being sold out of the popular sizes.

1 Like

Very true. I saw a secondhand one in a charity shop last week and it was £75!!

I thought that charity shops weren’t allowed to sell electrical items.

They are if they are PAT tested.

1 Like

If you’re quick, you might be able to get one of these in Aldi, they look like a real bargain. Sold out on line but they say they’re going to be in the stores on the 13th November. £89.00

1 Like

Unfortunately the racks tend to block the airflow and what’s underneath doesn’t cook as fast or as well I’ve found in ours

As for the power usage … we buy a lot of the parbaked bread and I’d takes another 6 minutes to cook the rolls opposed to the 20 mins of warming the oven and cooking it took previously

3 Likes