Do you use an Air Fryer?

It seems the world has gone mad on Air Fryers as electricity prices are soaring.

I know they have been around for a long time but they never really took off. I went to a demonstration in a store and that must have been 20 years ago.

I keep reading up about them but would be interested in what people on here think.

2 Likes

Hello RoseRed, good to meet you :wave:

Yes, I’ve got one and I love but I have to try not to be an air fryer bore because my son and me drive his partner nuts going on about it!

Just try these, that’s all I’m saying….

1 Like

Had a Ninja for a couple of years now, it’s brill. It saves us so much time, the only thing that annoys me is that I can only cook one thing at a time, so I am going to upgrade to a two drawer model, when they come back into stock

1 Like

My son has the Ninja, I’ve got this one, many happy hours spent squabbling over who’s is best!

1 Like

I like the look of that….

1 Like

They really took off here, I was a late comer but I use it fairly regularly perhaps once a week.

The only problem is that it is another gadget taking up space (I keep mine in the laundry) whereas the BBQ is outside, does the same job and is easier to clean.

1 Like

We have just bought one that does multiple things, even a slow cooker and pressure cooker, we’re still getting to grips with it atm, but it cooked wonderful fresh chips…

1 Like

We do use a barbecue but Our Instant Pot is a lot easer to clean. And, at this time of year, a barbecue isn’t practical in UK.

To be honest - I don’t know what they are!

I’ve got an original Tefal Actifry. Do they do the same?

One of these - it air fries, grills, bakes, roasts & it was in a sale half price. 85% less energy than conventional heating and works much faster, hardly any oil needed. Very evenly cooked food. What’s not to love?

1 Like

I think they do.

I’ve had one for some years because I don’t want food swimming in an oil bath and use it where I used to use a frying pan, i.e., not for preparing whole meals. A bit noisy I admit.

air fryer

1 Like

Yes I’ve got this Ninja , I use it most days ,.
It’s cheap to run compared to a standard fan oven, easy to clean ,lovely cooked food without oodles of oil.
Honestly I can’t praise air fryers enough.
Indeed I’ve turn off my oven now using it for storage.
Can find my dog he’s hiding in the photo ?
My ninja

2 Likes

Hi RoseRed, welcome.
I was one of those who kept saying ‘no, I don’t need one, I don’t have room for it in the tiny kitchen I have’.
Kept listening to a couple of ladies at our weekly cafe meet who had one. And then…one day I had a massive clear up of the top of the kitchen work top and voila…I had room. Shopping in The Food Warehouse (Iceland) not long after I saw the Tower 4L single drawer model for £45 so bought it.
Been a huge fan ever since!!
Got some paper liners from Amazon, which are useful for things like sausages to catch the fat. And they are done perfectly. Roasties (ok but can be a bit dry), chips, breaded fish, pork steak, hash brown, and toasted cheese sandwich.
Very rarely use my grill or mini oven now,

1 Like

Yep, have an Air Fryer, they are excellent, but, what is used more is this Mini Oven, it uses half the power of the main oven and cooks very quickly.

Hey Ripple, can you tell me what model that Ninja is?..I would like to buy one, many thanks :smiley:

There you go my dear :wink:

1 Like

We have a tower 2 drawer 7.6l model it’s equivalent to the two drawer ninja but half the price lol

It’s the modern microwave in my opinion

1 Like

I’m getting tempted … but some research is needed:

What to consider when buying an air fryer
Think of your individual requirements before investing. You may want to consider the following:

Manual or digital
The simplest air fryers come with manual knobs that you twist to set the time and temperature. You may prefer a digital version, where you press buttons to set this, and can see the remaining time digitally displayed.

Choice of pre-set programmes
Do you like to choose your own temperature and how long to cook things for, or would you prefer to leave all that to the machine? Some of our fryers had up to nine pre-set programmes for popular foods like chips and, bizarrely, shrimps.

Speed
It took between 17 and 30 minutes to cook chips in our samples, so this might be a factor. Some models need preheating, but only for a few minutes (much less than an oven).

Size
Always check the size as the capacity varies enormously – important if you’re feeding the masses or just want dinner for one. But bigger isn’t always better. Some take up more space on the kitchen surface and if you’re going to keep it in a cupboard, check the dimensions, some are sizeable beasts.

Transparent lid or internal light
Some models have a see-through lid so you can glance in and check your chips are browning well. With others, you have to open the basket to check, stopping the machine. The transparent ones tend to be a feature on more expensive machines, so you need to decide how important this is to you.

Shaking
With most air fryers, you need to shake your chips halfway through cooking (or more often if you want to see how they are getting on). Some fryers have clever devices built in to turn the food for you. Again, these tend to be the more expensive models, but this could a factor to consider if you want to go off and leave your dinner to cook itself.

Cleaning
You’ll need to wash the basket and pan after use. Some need to be hand-washed, while others are dishwasher-proof. (The main parts of the machine should just be wiped with a cloth.)

Price
Air fryers vary hugely in price – our tested models varied from £39.99 to £300.

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Hello Rose Red, l hope you’re enjoying the forum.

I was given a present of an air fryer. I thought l’d never use it but it has proved to be, very useful and the food cooked is delicious.
It’s a Tefal Compact 1.6 size which is fine by me.

If l had a choice I would’ve loved a Ninja Air fryer as they are the Crème de la crème in air fryers!

1 Like