Do you use an Air Fryer?

I think so.

My husband tells me you also need to consider the wattage if you are using it to save money on electricity. The higher ones are no cheaper than using your oven apparently.

My neighbour bought one about 2 weeks ago and has done cheesy chips and roast potatoes in hers and said they were lovely. She was also going to try roast veggies.

Thing with me is I usually do meals that I can either do totally on the hob (like spag bol or chilli and rice) or that I can do totally in oven like roasted veggies, sausages or chicken fillets and cauliflower cheese. I donā€™t fancy messing about with different appliances. I usually cook for 3, but sometimes 5.

1 Like

I recently bought a single draw Tower air fryer for Ā£55. Makes decent chips! Still very much a learner, with it. Iā€™m hoping it lives up to the claims of being cheaper to run and that I become more proficient with it. Canā€™t get much in the drawer is perhaps my only criticism.

1 Like

Hi Rosered, and welcome.

We bought a 2 litre cheapo one from B&M to see if it was worth it, and it is.

Your husband is right, to a point. Airfryiers are small and heat up very quickly and are like fan assisted ovens, apart from the fact that the proximity between the element and food is much closer, so that the heat if forced around the food at a faster rate. Sort of like frying in oil, but using air :wink::grin::rofl:

They usually take less time to cook things too.

Finally, when they do finish, thereā€™s not a large cuboid space of hot air that sorta goes to waste.

Sorry RoseRed. I should have said in my previous post. WELCOME.
It occurred to me, that my experience with an air fryer might be of no use to you, since I (cook)? For just one. The other thing is when cooking more than just chips. Different cooking time for other things, would, Iā€™d have thought, vary. As I said, though, Iā€™m a newbie, and still very much experimenting. Good luck.

I found this online ā€¦ this is before the hike in energy
Yes, it is cheaper to use an air fryer than an oven . The mighty machines use less energy to run than big ovens and they take less time to cook food. Research by Iceland and Utilita found that an air fryer would cost Ā£52.74 per year to power, while electric and gas cookers cost about Ā£316 and Ā£264 a year respectively.

1 Like

It does cook in half the time of a conventional oven and at lower temperature so not directly comparable.

So if I wanted to roast a chicken and do roast spuds which would be the best for this size wise.

1 Like

Good afternoon RoseRed,
I bought an air fryer quite recently and I have to say Iā€™m glad that I did. Itā€™s certainly not the be all and end all as far as far as kitchen appliances go but itā€™s incredibly useful and cheap to use.
For example, if Iā€™m pan frying some delicious smoked bacon I can happily leave the air fryer to deal with my chips be they home made or packet oven fries.

It took me a little while tinkering with the temperature settings, different kinds of oils etc to get things just right but Iā€™d certainly recommend buying one.

Thanks so much! ā€¦Ripple.:heartpulse:

1 Like

A big ā€˜un! Mine is 11.5 litres and I can just get it in if I donā€™t use the rotisserie for the chicken

3 Likes

Drumsticks all round then?
Given that you didnā€™t seem particularly keen to share that delicious looking Halloween cake and and divvy up a few meagre crumbs of marzipan!

Bridges to build Maree, bridges to build :wink:

1 Like

I do not have an air fryer - my son showed me his air fryer and they look easy to operate and easy to clean.
He gave me some examples of foods they cooked in it - Chips, roast potatoes, Sausages, chicken ā€¦ I donā€™t eat meat or anything fried, so none of the foods he mentioned would be food I would usually eat.
Iā€™m not sure what other foods I could cook in one.

Can you make Baked Potatoes? (Not chips or roast potatoes but plain baked ā€œjacketā€ potatoes without using any oil or fat)
Can you bake veg lasagne / veg casseroles etc in them?

What about pizzas?

Iā€™m also wondering what the Energy Usage comparison is between an air fryer and a combination microwave which includes microwave/convection cooking/grill.
Iā€™ve been trying to look it up online but not getting any definite answers - does anyone know?

1 Like

Double pepperoni? :grin:

Isnā€™t pepperoni some kind of spiced meat sausage, similar to salami?
As I donā€™t eat meat, I wouldnā€™t be interested in how to cook it but I thought it was already cooked when you buy it, so not sure why you would need to cook it in an air fryer :woman_shrugging:

No idea about energy comparison, but as an air frier is basically a compact air assisted oven, am sure you could cook anything youā€™d usually do in an oven.

A Pizza is not a Pizza without a hint of Pepperoni.

Right - so you can Cook and Bake things in it, not just ā€œfryā€ and ā€œroastā€ and you donā€™t have to use any oil?
It is beginning to sound more useful!

Thatā€™s my forte. Energy efficiency was a significant factor in our projects.

Yep. The ā€œfryā€ claim is from the intensity of the heat being blown onto it. If you didnt want food to crisp up too much, then puttin a bit of goil over it would probably help.

As said, we got a small cheapo one to try it out and get used to it. Weā€™ll probably get a larger one soonish, if we see one on offer or in the sales.

1 Like