Do you use an Air Fryer?

Ah, does it? you have to experiment with your own fryer, I think. My son uses them in his Ninja dual zone and likes them

What I like about my Tower vortex is that it’s more like a mini oven and comes with wire rack shelves, and you can do a chicken or meat on the rotisserie or fit a rotating chip basket and kebab rack

1 Like

Well, I’ve taken the plunge!
This thread set me off thinking about it - after all the advice on here and all the other research I’ve done, I went out and bought an air fryer yesterday. :grinning:

After looking at all the options, and measuring up the limited space in my small kitchen, I decided I only had worktop space for a small round air fryer.
The one I really fancied was a 4 litre Ninja but everywhere seems out of stock online, so I settled for a Tower Vortex 4 litre digital one - I think it is maybe not quite so compact as the Ninja but is only slighter larger in girth - it was available in my local High Street electrical retailer and it cost half the price of a similar sized Ninja, so I’m happy.

I started off by trying a few chips last night - oooh, they were lovely - too good, really, and too easy and quick - it will tempt me to eat more simple carbs than I should!
This morning, I tried cooking a veggie sausage and an egg in a ramekin dish - sausage was ok but by the time the egg white was cooked, the egg yolk was too cooked - I need to experiment with eggs!

I have a lot of experimental cooking ahead of me now!

Thanks to you all for all the info and advice :kissing_heart: :+1:

5 Likes

When you cook chips in an air fryer, are they home made ones or those shop bought ones?

Also, can you deep fry in them?

Wouldn’t attempt using it as a deep frying pan @pauline3. !!!

Any type of chip will work. It’s a mini fan assisted oven.

1 Like

Definitely not deep frying! That would catch fire. You are using a heated element, close to food, and hot air distributed by a fan. Can you imagine what would happen with a load of oil inside a closed drawer?

1 Like

Yes, I just read that online,Dex, you can’t deep fry in them, I love my triple fried chips, not that I eat them that often,…I would probably only use it to roast a chicken, I’m waiting to see what the Black Friday sales have.

I have some parsnips, carrots, potatoes and onions to use up. I do enjoy roast veg so I’m going to try an air fryer recipe. The plan is to cut the root veg into even sized pieces and coat then in a little melted lard, defo no olive oil this time, a generous pinch of Malden Salt, some freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of dried herbs.

The tricky bit will be deciding at what point to add the onion so that it caramelises when the vegetables are properly cooked…it can be done!

1 Like

Why not olive oil,chilli? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m looking forward to trying roasted veg in the air fryer. I usually use olive oil in the main oven but I’m guessing olive oil has too low a “smoking” temperature for the air fryer?
I don’t fancy using lard - would sunflower oil work better?

1 Like

There’s no reason I couldn’t Pauline, I just have a bit of a lard revival thing going on at the moment, fried bread and all that, tastes lovely! I know that lard can be used for conditioning woks, it should have a better tolerance of high temperatures than olive oil. Admittedly it’s a bit of an experiment.

1 Like

Olive oil works fine in my somewhat limited experience,the cheaper refined oil is better for this purpose than the extra virgin…and cheaper :wink:

1 Like

Have you roasted a chicken in your Air Frier?

If you have , does it come out juicy and succulent?

I’ve read online, that the roasted chicken in an Air Fryer,doesn’t taste as nice as the conventional way of cooking a chicken in the oven.

My air fryer is a mid range Salter unit. It wouldn’t accommodate a whole chicken, drumsticks and wings yes , delicious with a soy and honey based marinade.
In retrospect I wish I’d splashed out and bought a larger fryer.

1 Like

British Heart foundation sell them. I assume they do the PAT testing.

2 Likes

Wow! Let us know how you get on. My friend is very pleased with hers. Had it about a month now.

1 Like

Okey dokey. I just recall some charities not wanting electrical goods to be donated since they couldnt be sold on. Obviously not all then.

We have two British Heart Foundation shops In our town centre, the larger one sells furniture, rugs , drum kits, you name it.
They also sell TVs, toasters etc , somebody suitably qualified comes in once or twice a week to check out any electrical donations and pass them as safe.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Can’t argue with actual recent experience.

I bought a 5.5 litre Uten with a 230mm square basket a week ago. At first I thought it was too big but now I like it. My first experiment was a medium sized chicken which I maybe over cooked. I don’t fancy those air fryers with two small baskets.

1 Like

Thank you Scot37,
That’s precisely the sort thing I should have bought in the first place, decent capacity and surface area without any unnecessary gadgets… I’m tempted.

1 Like