Do you like clowns?

Continuing the discussion from What do you fear is lurking in the dark?:

Another thread is reminding me that some people like clowns and find them friendly and fun.

Other people find clowns terrifying, even the happy clowns.

Which are you, clown lover or clown averse?

• Love clowns
  • Clowns are terrifying
  • Clown neutral

0 voters

I’ll leave the poll up until Halloween, a fitting time to end it.

1 Like

I ticked to indicate I love clowns, which I do, but Mrs LD (my blondie) absolutely hates them. I think there is something called Coulrophobia and my wife fits in that category.

1 Like

I’m clown neutral, there are clowns and there are clowns. Some of you probably remember Pelham Puppets?

I had one like this, my little sister was a bit nervous of Charlie, probably because I told her that at night time he’d jump off his strings and run around. My imagination was quite vivid, still is. Half the time I’d end up scaring myself, still do!

I bet Charlie would be worth a few quid now if he was pristine in his box.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic, but I though I’d share a song well sung and is one of my favourites … take it away Judy as your version is the best👍

3 Likes

Did you believe this or just want to scare her?

The non-believers get The Toy Story experience when they’re sleeping.

2 Likes

Bojo The Clown , now that IS scary :grin:

3 Likes

Neither butterscotch, I just think I had a vivid imagination and the teasing was merely a kind of conduit.

There was probably much more spooky horror, gothic, hammer, even Scooby-Dooish stuff around in those days for inspiration.

2 Likes

I wondered how long it would take for a Boris post :wink::rofl:

1 Like

I hate them,have never understood why people would dress up as one weird.

3 Likes

I don’t like clowns. I don’t find them terrifying or even scary but I’m not neutral about them either.
I think they are grotesque. A garish parody of a human form.
Horrible to look at and not at all funny.

Even as a kid, I never understood what people found likeable or funny about clowns - I dislike everything about them, from their horrible greasepaint make-up and garish costumes to their gooey slapstick comedy.
I think I must have been a fastidious child because the mess the clowns made has always made me shudder with distaste!

4 Likes

I used to quite like this clown…

2 Likes

I voted neutral as clowns don’t make me laugh in fact they are boring and slightly hateful.

2 Likes

Even as a child whenever I saw a clown on a shelf in a store or at the carnival, I asked myself, “Why?”
Clowns are originally thought to be funny, but seems they don’t present themselves in any way funny or amusing.

A lot of silly dressing, a big nose and a total waste of time.

2 Likes

Read It by Stephen King and you will be terrified of clowns .

1 Like

Don’t always find them funny 🫤 bit annoying :grinning:

1 Like

I’m a big Stephen King fan and I’m rather fond of Pennywise :rofl:

I’m not screaming terrified of clowns but I don’t like them either and I’m not comfortable when they’re nearby, it’s like knowing there’s a spider in the room

It’s weird, but I’m more freaked out by normal, jolly clowns than I am by horrific ones?

1 Like

I read the book and saw the film. Still not scared of clowns though. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure that there are many clowns around these days. Way back when parents might hire a clown entertainer for a child’s birthday party. They’d do weird and wonderful things with their twisty turny, squeaky sausage balloons as I remember.

If you hired a clown for a kid’s party in 2023 your offspring would probably disown you for evermore :clown_face:

1 Like

Your kid would have to be old enough to care. I’m guessing clowns are for toddlers’ parties.

Out of curiosity I looked up hiring a clown. There are a ton of sites that talk about it. They’re also not cheap. They can make $150/hr for the amateurs and up to $400/hr for more seasoned clowns.

I liked the balloon animals when I was young, without the clown face.

Toddlers are different these days butterscotch…they won’t be dissed by clowns innit! :wink:

I’m well seasoned…yeah Chilli the Clown, could be a moneymaker!

1 Like