Do you exercise?

Nice going, Tachyon!

We have a local couple who are owners and trainers at one of our few local gyms who have been hit hard with the virus. Too eager and financially stretched, they reopened with no masks at the beginning of July. She is currently home sick with moderate symptoms and he is in an induced coma with a respirator. This second wave has bee tough. I’m just glad the beaches and trails are open so I can run with no one in sight.

Hi

Both Guy and myself are injured at the moment.

Guy is a severe epileptic and went into hospital after a seizure where he then had another one and fell heavily.

He can walk, but in severe pain laying down or rotating.

He has had an MRI at long last, and has 6 Thoracic Vertebrae Fractured, 2 new.

Six months wait on our NHS, he has Gym Exercises to do, then a review, hopefully just cement, but could be pins.

He has a five moth wait for an MRI of his head, CT has shown skull fractures and he has previous clots due to seizure falls.

We both exercise as much as we can , but limited.

I am 68, so well down the list for treatment.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that Surfermom. :frowning: Did they do what my local gym is doing or did they just open the doors as they usually would have done? Something else I forgot to mention is that the gym also closed the changing rooms and showers, so you now have to turn up ready to train and leave as soon as the hour is finished. One loo is open and the rest are closed off, with only 1 person at a time in the loo area. They really have considered all angles as best they can.

Well I bit the bullet this morning with tears in my eyes. I cancelled my Pool Membership. :089:
There’s no word at all about Scotland’s Pools reopening, but seeing on the Telly all the restrictions in place at England’s Pools and the rigmarole everyone has to go through, I have decided to leave, :089:
Even when they do finally reopen I won’t (as much as i want to) be rushing back. I simply don’t want to take chances with my life and I feel if I went back then that’s what I’d be doing.
So untill a lot more normality is the way of things, I’ll not be swimming. A group of the older ones have turned to the ocean for their swim, I could join them but it’s so cold in our water, even in the summer I just couldn’t take it. :090:
https://i.postimg.cc/X7ZyTgmH/108920643-3068520326516427-432952008500980124-o.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/yYwSBZzV/109238918-3068522446516215-8398715157185359950-o.jpg

Aw, swimfeeders and Roxy I’m so sorry you are going through such trying times.

I hope the gym works for Guy as well as it has for me - I started out slow after a heart attack about 3 years ago, got quite good, then got Psoriatic Arthritis in the knees (cured now) and had to start slow again. Last year it was blood clots in the lungs in November, I got over that early this year, started slow yet again and then Isolation hit. This week I have been - yes you guessed it - starting slowly yet AGAIN! :smiley: It has done me the world of good and I hope you and Guy enjoy good health very soon.

Roxy, I get what you say about swimming in the sea, as it’s bitter cold in the sea near me even in the middle of what passes for a heatwave in the UK. “Chilled to the bone” is putting it mildly. :smiley: Is there anything else you plan on trying instead of swimming?

No, Since my 2 knee replacements I am not allowed to do any exercise that’s going to put pressure on them.That’s why I had to stop the Linedancing.
I am trying to do more walking and eating less.There’s not much else I can do. Swimming stopped my joints seizing up,

There’s a woman I know at the gym who has been going for 17 years and she’s 88 now. She’s in good shape but is happy now to just do a little bit of everything - arms, chest core and legs. She uses light weights and calls it “keeping herself ticking over”. If I recall aright (it’s obviously been months since I last saw her) she has had one hip replaced and both knees. Her doctor sent here there to strengthen the muscles that support the joints. I wonder why your doctor advised against exercise? In a different gym a woman who used to chat to me had been told to start using an exercise bike with almost no resistance on it to keep the new knee flexing. That was 4 weeks after the op.

When I had excruciatingly painful knees and first went to the gym I did no leg work for weeks. I was a bit scared to do it, truth be told. I can do 4 sets of 30 reps pressing 100Kg, which is 12 metric tons. When I am back to proper training standards I do that four times in a session, but this week I only do it twice per session because I have to build up to it yet again, sigh. Still, that was 24 metric tons today for the legs, plus the 3 miles I covered getting to and from the gym, so I’m pleased with that for now. I’m sure the workouts have helped the medication to relieve my aches and pains, but it’s not for everybody without checking with a doctor first. Good luck and I hope you find some exercise that suits you. :slight_smile:

Nice shots, Roxy, but I know cancelling your pool membership is quite a blow. What about getting a wetsuit? They are much more flexible than they used to be and keep you incredibly warm.

That sounds like an outrageous amount of time for an MRI; I hope they get him in soon. Wouldn’t delaying something as serious as vertebral treatment be creating further problems as the bones could be mis-healing?

What are they doing about the clots?

You must be gutted Roxy,…:frowning: It’s so hard to find a good substitute for swimming, being as it provides an all round workout without the weight bearing of walking or running. Surfermom’s idea about the wetsuit might be the way to go. If I wanted to go swimming I think I would like to go wild water swimming in lakes and lido’s, and even in the sea…But I only run these days…I have been considering getting my bike out of mothballs, but Mrs Fox keeps me so busy…:smiley: Or am I losing the drive…

PS:- Did you get my PM Surfermom? Or has it gone astray?

I’m going to talk to some of the surfers about wearing a wet suit, not sure I’d really like one. I’ve often watched the performance some of them have trying to get in and out of one of those suits, don’t fancy it much lol.
There’s a place over near Wick (so I hear) that has Toning Tables. so I’m going to look into that. I used to use several of them when I was living in Perth and they are excellent. They give you a hell of a workout but without the effort.

Hey Roxy. I know you love swimming as much as I do. Most of my swimming is outdoor swimming and yes the water is much cooler especially when you first get in but you actually get used to it. I think you could get used to swimming in cooler water better than you would get used to wearing wet suite.

I feel bad for those who rely on fitness gyms to get their exercise. My husband is one of them. Our gyms have been closed also but we are getting quite a bit of exercise by walking and going canoeing / kayaking. Most of our paddling routes are about 10 to 12 kilometres.

Roxy, hahahaha…yes the ins and outs of getting in and out of a wetsuit can be a frustration. Consider buying one and returning it if it doesn’t fit. Really good idea to talk to the surfers.
Old Grey Fox, my ears are burning. :cool:

I’ve enjoyed myself at the gym, now it has re-opened and I’m getting back the strength that evaporated so quickly during Lockdown. It doesn’t take long to go, does it! Luckily the stamina seems to be unchanged so I can still exercise steadily without a break in between different machines.

I think next week I may try and go there every day. I usually do around 90 minutes and, on those rare “smooth” days I can do 2 hours or more. Being restricted to 55 minutes is not ideal for me, enjoyable though it is to be out of the house and doing some proper exercise.

Nice to hear you are getting back into the swing of things Tachyon, I think stamina takes longer to go than strength. I know if I don’t run through injury, when I start again I can still do the distance but the speed is abysmal…:frowning: It takes a few weeks to return to my normal pace.

Ah, nice to know it’s not just me! This is my second week, and I can feel an improvement already, thank the gods. :smiley:

I walk daily when I can and enjoy it, love outdoors.

Ok then.:cool:

Went for a very exacting 6 mile hill walk last week.
Was so shattered came back and fell asleep on the bed.
I am not fit .

My husband asked me to go for a walk up to the bluffs in an area we go a few times a year. Last weekend we got lost so it was a 3 plus hour walk. I had finally heard some people working at a junk yard so I could ask for directions. Luckily we were going to the right way. One of the two guys showed us to the main road. It was too long a walk but enjoyable. I got so many pretty pictures.