Do you exercise?

Calling all fifty-plussers, we need your input on the “Post your daily exercise routine” thread:041::069::026:

If you belong a gym or go for a jog, or a swim. Even if you just walk the dog around the block, tell us your adventures in the thread.

At the moment there are fundamentally just the three of us who regularly post, but I’m of the feeling that there must be more folk on here who do some kind of exercise to keep their basic fitness in tow. And we all love a good natter don’t we?:004:

So don’t be shy folks, get stuck in:cool:

1 Like

I am happy that you enjoy exercising Floydy, but we don’t all find it all consuming, to such as me gardening, diy or walking the dogs is just a part of the day nothing more, and is done for the pleasure, not the effect. :wink:

That’s fine, Barry. I didn’t realise I was forcing anyone to partake in exercise if that’s how it came across. Each to their own bud :slight_smile:

I don’t, never have done exercise specifically, if I can walk somewhere I do, I do three hours cleaning a day at work, I walk around the touch line yelling at school sorts, can’t stand still it kills my back.

But no exercise for its own sake.

Unless stretching counts to loosen my muscles at various intervals.

My husband used to cycle but knee replacement put paid to that, but again in not sure he did it to officially exercise it was more for fun and to get some fresh air at the weekends.

I think you’re the resident fitness buff, Floydy.

I used to go for long walks (7 to 8 miles) but haven’t in a long time as my panic attacks grew worse. Having said that, a full blown panic attack is probably a good aerobic workout.

I say to myself that symptoms of anxiety are uncomfortable but not dangerous; sadly, it doesn’t always work.

My exercise now is housework and gardening Floydy, no leotard
for me, I reckon I must be old enough to be your mother :smiley:

Housework, especially hoovering, gardening, walking the dog, all excellent excercise.

I don’t do any of that :mrgreen:

I may well join in soon as im about to embark on a program related to my health. First time will be day after boxing day so may well post the experience.

I would like to learn Tai Chi or something similar. There are Chi Kung classes held locally and I am thinking of joining in the spring.

I dont exercise for exercise sake. i get enough with our work in the garden , and moving rocks from one place to another, most of which are around 20-30 kilos. Cutting trees down in the woods to provide logs for the winter. Also in the winter clearing snow, mainly from the track to the road which is about 60 yards long. I do manage the occasional walk of around 3 miles up into the hills and back

Deleted my Post after reading OGF post …:confused:

I got an Apple watch series 3 with GPS to help with my fitness - sadly I don’t use it for more than something like a timer, notifications from my phone.

I think some of you may have misunderstood what Floydy is asking…:confused:
For a start…WORK is NOT exercise! no matter how much energy you expend…and it has no part in this thread.

Secondly…It is not a waste of time or something to improve the look of your body…:frowning:

It can be a very relaxing and a rewarding set of things you can do to improve your daily lives. Think of it more as Medication without medication…:cool:
There are plenty of people on this forum who do Yoga, Tai Chi, Swimming (Ruthio) Cycling and walking…These are the people that Floydy was looking for…and I know you are there because I’ve read about you in other threads…:smiley:

If you haven’t got time to do it, or have no wish to do it, why are you grumbling about people who do take an interest in their well being. Go and find the Quizzes and Puzzles thread instead…

If work isn’t exercise I’d love to know why I get so sweaty doing it and tired afterwards :mrgreen: according to various sources anything can be exercise, gardening, walking, housework.

Work is definitely exercise - not my job, though, as I mainly work online.

I wish I could get fit again - I’m not overweight but can feel my body run down through illness (both mental and physical).

I had a rough time of it recently but managed a mile’s walk today to the supermarket and back, not much maybe but baby steps.

Work IS Work Julie, proper exercise uses the mind as well as the body in order to release you from the everyday stresses that WORK puts on you.

Well my husband has to carry a route bag contains 36 bottles or cans of fizz and another containing over a hundred chocolate bars up four flights of stairs and brings the coins from the vending machines back down everyday. If that’s not exercise I’ll eat my hat.

I’m not saying work isn’t good for the body in it’s own way. Some jobs can help to keep you supple and strong, but it’s still work, not exercise.
A mile walk is excellent Ffosse (Even the longest journey starts with the first step) and you can clear your mind and look around you, how many people can say that while they are working.

Perhaps the people who resist exercise have never done it correctly and have not experienced the benefits. The physical side of the body is very closely aligned with the mental side and vice versa…:wink:

Rather patronising post there OGF, for I’m not sure anyone was grumbling about people who care for their well being with exercise,rather just stating their own preferences as you would in any normal conversation. Personally I’ve no time for fanatics of any ilk…

Floydy can probably explain this better than I can Julie, but he will not be exercising his muscles in the correct way, or even the correct muscles that need the workout for him to benefit too much. And his mind will be on the job and not clear of stress. You are even suffering some of his stress by mentioning it, it must be on your mind…