Did we really go to the Moon?

A piece of moon rock, about 3.7 billion years old collected from the Apollo 17 mission. This was on display at Cape Canaveral when I visited there in 2013.

2 Likes

Thanks Ripple, you are the only one that commented on my photograph…
:+1:
So we are all happy that man did land on the moon?

I’m about 70 - 30% for man visiting the moon, but I still have a few reservations…

I’m sorry LongDriver but that photo could have easily been fake… :009:

Yes Boot, I saw it on twitter. My daughter who is allegedly ‘Awake’ showed me the interview and told me the story. It was quite a long interview, but I have a very short attention span so I didn’t watch it all. My daughter does make some good points, but we don’t agree on everything and the video might have been taken down now.
However, it is possible to make some very professional looking clips of film on twitter so it could be fake.
I think we are all susceptible to the stuff we see in the media and on the news. There is no truly definite answer to this question unless you were part of the expedition. There is very little that a good film producer can not use to prove a theory one way or another and it’s very hard to prove a negative…How could you prove that there is no God?
Perhaps it’s more beneficial to mankind to believe all of the advances in medicine and technology, even if there might be strings attached…Don’t sweat the small stuff…

Sad to hear that we’ve lost Harbal…I perhaps hoped that we might at sometime ride together and discuss life…

Nice Graham, I also visited Cape Canaveral and was so impressed with the size of the Saturn Rockets and the size of the building where they were assembled.
I also visited Disneyland and was equally impressed by some of the stuff which was obviously fictitious. I think we can be easily fooled by the professionals.

Out of six moon landings, why is there only film of the first?

1 Like

Because taking film cameras and film is expensive and risky. In later missions, video cameras were used and the picture signal was beamed directly back live.

Next question…?

Well I’ve never seen any Graham… :017:
You would have thought that the future visits would have been plastered all over the media to earn more money for future expeditions, or at least…give the Russians a bloody nose…

There are plenty of videos of footage from the various Apollo missions on Youtube.

The moon rover ? golf being played ?

1 Like

At it’s peak, the Apollo programme employed 400,000 people and the support of over 20,000 industrial firms and universities.

Do you suppose for one minute all these people are in on some secret conspiracy and if they were, what are the chances this would slip out and become public? I have yet to hear how you account for some of the physical evidences I mentioned upthread.

I suppose the next thing would be trying to say the Earth is flat, because trying to debunk the moon landings is a complete loser on the basis of the points I raised earlier.

But if you have any actual evidence instead of dreaming up make believe hoaxes, then let’s have it. I would be interested to know what there is.

1 Like

I had a look to see if I could find this video but it seems to have been removed from the internet and every article I found about it suggests it was a hoax by the Interviewer Murray, just so he could make this film, presumably for profit.
I see that Stanley Kubrick’s widow and daughter have both said that Kubrick did not give an interview to Murray and that the video is a hoax, using an actor pretending to be Kubrick.
There seems to be various anomalies that suggest it wasn’t real, as detailed by Snopes in this article - such as the out-take clip where Murray is giving instructions to the man he is interviewing and calling him Tom.

I guess the current looks, face and voice of a reclusive person who rarely gives public interviews will be unfamiliar to the general public, making it easier to dupe viewers by using an actor to fake an interview.
It sounds like Murray’s interview was a very bad fake, though, so the fakery should have been easier to spot. Perhaps if you had watched it all, you may have noticed some anomalies.
Snopes doesn’t mention it but elsewhere I found comments from people who had watched the whole unedited version of Murray’s interview.
They made the point that the Actor playing Kubrick was reminded by the Interviewer (Murray) to say that he had spoken to Neil Armstrong before his death.
If this Interview was taking place in 1999, Armstrong was still alive - he didn’t die until 2012 - a point which “Kubrick” reminded Murray of by replying “I died before he did!” :rofl:

It isn’t the first time someone has faked a “last interview” with Kubrick for profit - here’s an article about another fake interview that was uncovered by his former close work colleague - it shows how unlikely it would be for him to have had the secret interview that Murray had claimed.

The fluttering flag was a bit of a clue.

1 Like

Exactly! :joy:

The half-century since people visited the Moon, NASA has continued to push the boundaries of knowledge to deliver on the promise of American ingenuity and leadership in space. And NASA will continue that work by moving forward to the Moon with astronauts landing on the lunar South Pole by 2024.

When we return to the Moon, we will be building upon the work of the hundreds of thousands of people who worked on Apollo and have since advanced human spaceflight. As Isaac Newton wrote in the 17th century, “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”

Likely, they will return to sites of original landings, even salvage equipment left to make use of.

I’m sure we got to the moon but that the landing footage was accidentally lost by someone then re-filmed in a studio.

1 Like

“Many broadcasters used simulations to flesh out their Apollo programming. Networks paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for scale models of Apollo command modules and rockets. During the broadcast, these were used to create simulations of the mission which were then intercut with real footage.”

3 Likes

The fluttering flag and other things are covered in this article

https://www.iop.org/explore-physics/moon/how-do-we-know-we-went-to-the-moon#gref

I’m not disputing that. It was the silly flag image.

I had a bit of a rummage through my old DVDS.
Bingo!

The Right Stuff - 1983

I was going to save this for a kind of popcorn evening but couldn’t resist the temptation to watch it now.
Bang goes the washing up until later!

No.The ABC do use a lot from the BBC but alas not them.

1 Like

I wonder how Canberra and Parkes observatories in Oz got their pictures?They were pointing at the moon not Hollywood.