Crossing Places Off Your List

London is a fantastic place TO AVOID.

Last time there i wanted to see the Tower of London

First person I asked was a Jamacian. he said sorry only just arrived in this country, so can’t help

Second person I asked was a Frenchman, he said sorry only just arrived in this country, so can’t help

Third person I asked was from India, he said sorry only just arrived in this country, so can’t help

Last person I asked was from Russia, he said sorry only just arrived in this country, so can’t help. So I asked him where the English people were.

He replied that they were working to pay for our benefits so we can look around London. You won’t find one in London Streets

Sounds like I should pack my rose-colored glasses when I am eventually London bound, but I’m going. :smiley:

I suspect what many of you dislike about London, I don’t care for when it comes to New York.

Annie, you named some places that are on itineraries I am considering. Thanks. :023:

I have a friend in Yemen right now who is administering cholera vaccines and treating cholera cases. It will take a lifetime to turn around the famine and cholera epidemic.

Vegas is garish, glittery, artificial, and surreal, but there’s also nowhere like it. Interestingly, it’s the number one travel destination for Hawaiians who may well live in the most naturally beautiful place in the world. I’ve been and enjoyed the way it was lit up at night, but I wouldn’t plan a good holiday around it; it has such a sad and dark underbelly. I can’t imagine why anyone would go there when there are so many spectacular national parks in the same region.

London’s fabulous, ignore these killjoys!! :mrgreen:

For a visit London is a great place but to work there not so good I know that from experience, I have a love hate relationship with the place.

You will love it Surfermum I hope you get to go further afield though…go to Stratford on Avon where Shakespeare was born you will love it there and try make it up to Yorkshire to York too and the surrounding countryside…see the City New York was named after… :slight_smile:

Summer I do agree, visiting a place for entertainment and enjoyment is vastly different from living and working there.

You will love visiting London Surfermom because you will no doubt be visiting all the best bits, it’s the same for us visiting NY.

Me too summer.

:lol::lol::lol:

I wouldn’t want to go to London again as I’d be worried about getting a knife in my back.

I’ve been a few times before, when the place was more civilised, and seen all I want to see thank you!

I have no intention of ever going to Blackpool either!

Me neither. Not unless I get married again and need another Hen night. :lol:

I’ve travelled quite a bit but I’m not really a city person . I once had to go to Detroit and didn’t like it but I think there are dark areas in most cities and perhaps I only saw the dark side. I’ve passed through New York but never stayed so can’t really comment otherwise.

Several years ago, whilst visiting some of my relatives in the colonies, they took us to New York. I remember a rather early, and long, bus ride from Rhode Island.

One thing we had a look at was the Empire State Building. I distinctly remember two things: firstly, long queues; secondly, unbearable heat and, surprisingly, there was no air conditioning in the building, just some rather ineffective fans!

An impressive sight from near the top, but not something I should like to repeat. Not unless they’ve since installed AC, anyway.

Oh gosh, Bratti. I feel like I almost have to apologize for Detroit that is still struggling from the decline of US manufacturing, poor urban planning (and tear-down policies with abandoned buildings), and tax problems. There are good, fine people who are trying to turn it around, but Detroit will probably be an outlier for some time to come.

Such a good turn of phrase ;-).

Isn’t it interesting how we are willing to put up with long lines (queues) and other inconveniences when visiting other places that we wouldn’t tolerate in our own backyards? I haven’t been in the ESB since I was four, mostly for the reasons you described. In the back of my mind, it’s there, and I’ll get around to it sometime.

I love going to Washington D.C., but am always taken aback that most of the visitors are from other countries - not here.

I suppose we all have a taste for the exotic. BTW, the Empire State Building must be the last place here in “the colonies” that doesn’t have a/c. I’m forever half-frozen.

If you are a teenager, black, carrying a knife yourself, while visiting the wrong social housing estate, after dark, then yes you had better be careful.

If this problem is entirely gang related, it is a good thing. Let the buggers kill each other and rid the country of people we don’t want.

I’m not so sure, though, because aren’t innocent non-gang members also involved?

Some mistaken identity going on too.

Unless they are recruiting petite old ladies, then I can run the streets naked at 2 AM without worry.

In fact, that might be the solution - sending gang members screaming for the hills :lol:.

We really enjoyed Las Vegas, neither of us are gamblers but we were that week lol. We didn’t play big, only small change but it was fun. We broke even every time too. We even renewed our wedding vows in the Elvis Chapel, so fun yet meaningful. Yeah, we sure had a fab time in Vegas.

I must confess to having similar degenerate thoughts. :confused: