Crossing Places Off Your List

I love Hastings. It was as Julie describes about ten years ago and suffered after the crash. But it has changed a lot recently. I have connections with the area and I’ve seen it change and change again over the years. The people there are lovely. The pier design is a little odd but at least it can’t burn down again!

In the UK would not go back to Bradford or Leeds or Derby. Or in Wales Bangor although I love other parts of Wales. Glad I visited, but not planning to return to Morocco. I said I’d never go back to Portugal after seeing sewers go into the sea in the late 80s and a terrible experience trying to get around in trains, but I’m told it’s much improved and we were discussing visiting Porto next year.

Interesting insights, especially about GB. I always think the locals are the best sources of reviews about a location.

I like to think I see the in a place and not letting a few wrinkles ruin a perfectly good destination, but a few places I realize requires a little planning/strategy if you want to see it in a way that looks as good as the travel sites and literature.

Right now I am trying to narrow down a big August getaway to possible places Iceland, Norway,or the Med - none of which I have ever visited. The problem narrowing it down - thus the thread. I can’t even decide whether to cruise or travel by train/car; I’m too excited, I guess!

Croatia is lovely. Dubrovnik, Split, the Islands.

The Yemen, the cuisine was atrocious, the people grumpy
Blackpool the same
and Shropshire, the people are all related

Try drinking local Tunisian wine then! I swear it must have been camel urine. Sue and I went there for our honeymoon (1972) and ordered a bottle, well that bottle remained nearly full when we left

[quote=“realspeed, post: 1561775”]
Try drinking local Tunisian wine then! I swear it must have been camel urine. Sue and I went there for our honeymoon (1972) and ordered a bottle, well that bottle remained nearly full when we left[/QUOT:lol:

:lol: oh dear, and 18-30 holiday

[quote=“Rehab44, post: 1561782”]

??? definately not. This was a wedding pressie from where Sue worked only cost us £25 in total not each She did work during lunch breaks for a travel company owned by the company she worked for. it was a Thank You
4* hotel all in and flights included

I didn’t like Tunisia. You couldn’t walk past a restaurant or shop without having someone stand outside and try and encourage you in. They are very persistent. I’ve had a week there, and two cruise stops. The week’s holiday turned into a nightmare, so I will now avoid that country at all costs.

My brother went there after a relationship breakup and was very depressed and vulnerable. One day he found himself persuaded into a shop to buy a leather jacket he neither needed nor wanted, but he felt powerless to stop the sale.

At one time I thought I would never tire of visiting other Countries but that has changed, due to the appalling way we are treated by airlines and travel companies. There is really only one thing I still wish to see and that is the Northern lights. I have been close to seeing them before but was seated on the wrong side of the plane. So apart from the Northern lights, all foreign travel is off my list.

I wouldn’t go back to Venezuela and I know lots of people here like the Canary Islands but I have never had a good holiday there especially Lanzarote so I won’t be going back there.

I want to see more of Europe and the UK …to be honest I hate long haul flights and although I’m taking one shortly I’ve decided to stay closer to home for a while after that.

You probably mean The Tailor of Gloucester, as in the Beatrix Potter book, Gloucester’s claim to fame. :smiley:

We’re thinking of moving to Gloucester, back to my roots. :surprised:

There are only two places I wouldn’t go back to, Tunisia and Lanzarote. The only good thing about Tunisia was that I was able to ride on a camel :-). Lanzarote didn’t appeal to me at all, continually being hassled to invest in a timeshare was one of the things that put me off.

[quote=“realspeed, post: 1561790”]

Sound excellent …The 18-30 was just a reference to the quality of the wine :lol:

I don’t live far from The Torbay area & I love going. Don’t stay as it’s too close, but it isn’t as bad as Eliza says.

Personally I dislike Illfracombe, but it might have improved since I went there. I loathe London.
There aren’t any other places I dislike.

Well I’m a Londoner born n bred, and TBH can’t wait to move out. When sis has bought her place, Norfolk or Suffolk, I will look also. She can’t wait to go, either.

I actually enjoyed Torquay when there a short time ago, and the surrounding areas.

I too want to see the Northern Lights, and the Canadian Rockies.

I loathe London.

Let me take you by the hand and walk you through
the streets of London
I’ll show you something to make you change your mind
♫ ♪

I love London :smiley:

Some bits are all right, others not so much.

That song makes me want to go there again even less. I did used to live there.