Climate change - National Geographic

OldGreyFox. We share this planet. I’m from Canada where we have more open space than most places on earth. I’ve grown up and spent most of my life living near and amongst farmers. The last place I lived, we shared a community with Mennonites. These people pick the best farming places in the world since they grow their own food and make everything from scratch.

If this weren’t true our world wouldn’t be suffering the consequences that it now does which is why it’s called GLOBAL WARMING. This affects our entire planet. We wouldn’t be noticing extreme temperature shifts like we are. The Atlantic sea ice has been rapidly diminishing causing other species to die off and become extinct. The Atlantic sea ice extent is diminishing at an alarming rate of 13.4 % per decade over the last 30 years.

Ocean heat content is rapidly increasing. The top half-mile of most major ocean waters is getting warmer. The amount of heat absorbed by the oceans has [increased significantly over the past two decades. Warmer ocean water[damages coral reefs, threatens marine ecosystems, and disrupts global fisheries. A change in ocean heat content can also alter patterns of ocean circulation, which can have far-reaching effects on global climate conditions, including changes to the outcome and pattern of meteorological events such as tropical storms, and also temperatures in the northern Atlantic region, which are strongly influenced by currents that may be substantially reduced with CO2 increase in the atmosphere.

Air temperature over the ocean is increasing Warmer air near the ocean surface leads to increased evaporation, and more evaporation means more water vapor in the air. The increased amount of water vapor not only contributes to extra warming, and may feed heavy precipitation events and act as fuel for hurricanes which we are now experiencing. We personally went through one just last September with devastating results. Hurricane Fiona. Our second hurricane. We’ve also survived 2 tornados.

Sea surface temperature is increasing
The surface of the ocean is getting warmer. Water temperatures measured at the surface have been higher the last 3 decades than any other time since these measurements began. These measurements are taken from professionals in this field Foxy; something none of us here are and warmer sea surface water can severely damage coral reefs, facilitate algal blooms, and together with warmer air temperature over the oceans, can increase the destructive potential of tropical cyclones and hurricanes. We ARE experiencing more and more of these every year.

Global sea level is rising
Records show that the sea level has been rising steadily across the globe. The main reasons for the rise are thermal expansion due to higher sea water temperatures (warmer water expands) and the added water from melting of land ice, such as glaciers.The impacts of rising sea levels can go
from permanently flooded areas (below future sea level) to an increase of seasonal and nuisance floods, as well as worse higher storm surges. Sea level rise also threatens freshwater supplies and ecosystem services such as natural water filtration as well as human coastal infrastructure , all of which we are noticing.

Humidity is increasing (causing more warming)
Weather stations have recorded [higher levels of water vapor in the air and when it is hot out, it feels even hotter. When surface temperature warms (both land and sea surface), it leads to more evaporation, and consequently an increase in atmospheric humidity. Because water vapor is a greenhouse gas, [the increase in humidity causes additional warming]

Temperature of the lower atmosphere is increasing. The atmosphere is not warming uniformly. Warming is instead concentrated in the lower layers of the atmosphere, called the troposphere (where we live, where weather occurs, and where planes fly). Rising temperatures in the troposphere evidence the [human fingerprint] in global warming caused through the release of emissions from burning coal, oil, and natural gas. All these are things we humans have done and we are now paying the consequences. Anyone not noticing these changes must have their head stuck in the ground or have HUGE blinders on.

Air temperature over land is increasing
The excess heat in the atmosphere has been measured by weather stations over land across the globe. The increase in air temperature is not homogeneous throughout the globe . The excess heat in the air can be linked to increased frequency of heat waves across the globe, wider distribution of insect pests (e.g., pine beetle in the northwest U.S.), and various health-related issues such as the spread of tropical diseases further north into the U.S.

Snow cover is reduced, and snow is melting earlier. The area covered by snow in the Northern Hemisphere in the spring is [getting smaller, not only because there is less snow in some areas and years, but also because snowpacks are melting earlier due to warmer temperatures. People all over the world rely on melting snow to replenish their water supplies, and the earlier melt (and sometimes smaller accumulation) reduces the water availability for these people, threatening their way of life. In the U.S., scientists believe that the reduced snowpack and early melting of snow in the Sierra Nevada was one of the factors behind the long, extreme drought that began affecting California in 2011.

Glaciers are an essential source of water for many places around the world, where people depend on glacial meltwater to replenish their aquifers. Glaciers are melting and retreating at an astonishing rate . Three times the ice volume stored in the European Alps is lost each and every year. As glaciers melt, water supplies are at risk and there is also the potential for soil destabilization and erosion because glacial waters carve rivers through their melting path.

Melting glaciers also can lead to hazardous conditions such as landslides and avalanches for communities below, who also value glaciers’ aesthetic value: the sheer loss of the natural beauty of glaciers majestic sights is culturally significant. The evidence of these changes is clear: Glacier National Park has only 25 of the estimated 150 glaciers that existed there since the 1800’s.

Note: I considered adding the links to the sources I got this information from but didn’t want to clog up the flow of information. Once again, all this information is taken from professionals - researchers, scientists, data collectors etc.
This is NOT my personal opinion. It’s from well documented research.

2 Likes

:joy:
Yep! :+1:

Added some photos so he can see what they look like. :sweat_smile: Sheep AND goats. Lol

1 Like

They were probably hiding just for a lark, to get our conspiracists worked up.

2 Likes

I don’t think those scraggy animals are going to destroy the planet any time soon…

Nobody claimed they were Foxy but I can ‘get’ that you might not understand the main point here.:woman_facepalming:

I understand the point, the Burgers keep coming but the Cows are invisible, and, the Milk flows.

Quote:
According to professional meteorologist and weather forecaster Joe Bastardi, the Arctic (80N) just experienced its coldest month of May in Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) record books (dating back 65 years, to 1958).

:thinking:Maybe time for the tinfoil hats.

There is no foil, like a baco foil :icon_wink:

Baco foil it is then. IMG_0022

1 Like

More people should wear foil hats, it might protect them from the nonsense that the MSM puts out…

Cows and sheep are destroying our farmland and polluting the atmosphere…
Just a few examples during this mornings walk…

1 Like

The acres and acres of grazing land massively outweighs the CO2 produced by the cows on it. Its one of the most well balanced ways of farming there is.

#climatescam

1 Like

When I started reading that sentence, I thought it was going to end very differently :rofl:

“ More people should wear foil hats, it might protect them from the nasty waves that the 5G masts put out…”

:wink:

2 Likes

It’s got nothing to do with climate, it’s just weather…

https://twitter.com/JunkScience/status/1670237865047912451?s=20

Vegetarians and Vegans are on a crusade to outlaw farming especially meat producing farms.
They don’t eat dairy or meat products so they want to force their will on normal people under the misconception that it will stop the planet from experiencing global warming and extreme weather, it’s just nonsense and nothing they, or anyone else can do will make any difference to the weather… Because they don’t eat meat nobody else should…It’s like me saying they should close all the airports because I don’t fly…I think it’s just selfish and a bad attitude.

As usual, you have saved me thinking, and typing Foxy, at this rate, I’ll be superfluous.

1 Like

Is that the latest conspiracy theory ?

I hope it’s not the last!

There has always been conspiracy closer to home, multi typing styles :icon_wink: