Climate change - National Geographic

Maybe you didn’t know until two years ago l lived on and owned a farm for 25 yrs .
Believe me, vast stretches of land is used to grow crops for animal feed
Half the country’s wheat harvest goes to feeding livestock, mostly chickens and pigs, and would be enough to produce nearly 11 billion loaves of bread.

2/5 of all the land is for growing animal food crops.

On top of that there’s grazing land .
My farm was 100% hay crop .

I just read this … If we combine pastures used for grazing with land used to grow crops for animal feed, livestock accounts for 77% of global farming land.

1 Like

Thanks for that Ripple, and I didn’t know that you lived on a farm. However, the land used for producing animal feed is still indirectly producing food for the people in the way of livestock.
Meat, eggs, Milk, cheese and butter are a lot better for you than bread…
:yum:

Clogs up your arteries a treat .

1 Like

Did all the pre-historic cavemen, indian tribes and other indigenous folk die of clogged arteries Muddy? I think Macdonalds or KFC etc might be responsible for the clogged arteries of today…

They got eaten by sabre toothed tigers before their arteries had time to get clogged .
Life expectancy was only 26 anyway ,

1 Like

They didn’t get clogged arteries because they didn’t worry about silly things like ‘Climate Change’ Covid, the energy crisis, and the cost of living. The media have a lot to answer for.
Would climate change even be ‘a thing’ if we just lived in our own communities without getting 24 hour news from all over the globe?

1 Like

You don’t get it do you !
Meat production significantly contributes to the release of greenhouse gases including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.
As large volumes of these greenhouse gases accumulate in the earth’s atmosphere, they absorb radiation and prevent heat escaping. This leads to global warming.

Feeding the world.
An additional 4 billion people in the world could be fed if land currently used to grow crops for livestock were given over to crops for for human consumption

Of course, ancient man didn’t suffer from a clog arteries … as the life expectancy was limited.
They lived in nomadic life, hunter gather life , eating a high fibre diet …burning many more calories than modern day man.

Meat and dairy may well be yum as you said , however you eat too much of it . Bad for your health heart attacks , strokes diabetes & cancers all can be directly linked to diet .

2 Likes

Did a quick calculation, it seems the UK only needs about 10 X 40ft (60 M3) containers of spices to keep the curry industry moving, can’t see that destroying the environment!

That’s bogus science Ripple, you have been conned…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Less than 0.04% of the earths atmosphere is made up on CO2 and it is a vital component in all living things that use photosynthesis as means to survive. CO2 is also heavier than air, so will not remain in the atmosphere for long.

The following gases are heavier than air:

Name Vapor Density (Air=1)
Argon 1.4
Butane 2.0
Carbon Dioxide 1.5
Chlorine 2.5
Ethane ~1.0
Hexane 3.0
Hydrogen Sulfide 1.2
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 2.5
Methyl Mercaptan 1.7
Nitrogen Dioxide 1.6
Nitrogen Oxide 1.5
Oxygen 1.1
Propane 1.6
Propylene 1.5
Sulfur Dioxide 2.2
2 Likes

What? :scream::scream::scream:
I’m not sure if I’ve ever read such naive, misinformed post(s) in my life. Are you sure you are from this plant OGF?
OMG! :flushed::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

With enough people with your mentality, it’s no wonder our planet is the way it is. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Good post Foxy.

2 Likes

Meat and climate change

Meat and dairy production account for 83 per cent of all agricultural land use, take up 30 per cent of the planet’s land surface and are responsible for 18 per cent of greenhouse gases, including methane and nitrous oxide.

Growing animals for food is also inefficient. It takes about five to seven kilograms of grain to produce one kilogram of beef. Each of those takes energy and water to produce, process and transport.

As global meat consumption increases, so does its climate impact. By lowering your food-related emissions, moving to a mostly plant-based diet will greatly reduce your annual carbon footprint.

A Boston Consulting Group report found that, for each dollar, investment in improving and scaling up production of meat and dairy alternatives resulted in three times more greenhouse gas reductions compared with investment in green cement technology, seven times more than green buildings and 11 times more than zero-emission cars.

2 Likes

Meat production accounts for 57 percent of the greenhouse gas emissions of the entire food production industry. It also results in widespread deforestation and loss of biodiversity, and each of these means that it significantly contributes to climate change. This is especially true of meat production from factory farming operations.

Deforestation
As increasing numbers of animals are raised for meat production, vast areas of land are being cleared for the animals to live on and their food to be grown. In the Amazon rainforest for example, 80 percent of deforestation is due to the clearing of land for cattle ranching. The deforestation caused by the animal agricultural industry results in 340 million tons of carbon being released into the atmosphere each year.

Biodiversity Loss
Much of the land that is burned and cleared for animal agriculture was once home to a variety of different plant and animal species. When these plants are destroyed and the animals have nowhere to live, this results in a loss of biodiversity — 60 percent of biodiversity loss today can be related to meat consumption. Biodiversity loss has a severely detrimental effect on an ecosystem’s ability to regulate itself, so it both drives climate change and reduces the ability of ecosystems to cope with climate change.

Soil Degradation
The intensive nature of animal feed production means that areas of land used to produce crops for animal feed lose nutrients over time. As well as this resulting in a loss of soil fertility, it means that the carbon dioxide that the land should be able to absorb is instead released into the atmosphere.

Water Usage
Excessive water usage may not be commonly attributed to meat production, but the animal agriculture industry uses massive amounts of water to raise and slaughter its animals.

Feed production for the animal agriculture industry is responsible for a significant amount of this water usage. Producing food for livestock requires almost 20 percent of the world’s fresh water. Many of the slaughter methods used to kill the animals also use substantial amounts of water. In a single Californian slaughterhouse, for example, 4 to 5 million gallons of water are used per day to slaughter its chickens.

Compared to meat-based products, plant-based foods have a much lower water footprint. It takes six times more water to produce 1 gram of protein from beef than it does to get the same amount of protein from pulses.

The impacts of such extensive water usage include a loss of biodiversity in aquatic ecosystems, an increase in frequency and severity of droughts, deterioration in safe water security and a reduction in soil fertility.

Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Meat production significantly contributes to the release of greenhouse gases including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide. As large volumes of these greenhouse gases accumulate in the earth’s atmosphere, they absorb radiation and prevent heat escaping. This leads to global warming.

Raising farmed animals in such massive numbers is among the key contributors to its greenhouse gas emissions. As ruminant animals they digest their food in a process known as enteric fermentation, which releases methane and nitrous oxide.

Both of these are highly potent greenhouse gases, with methane being 27 to 30 times and nitrous oxide 273 times more effective at trapping heat than carbon dioxide over a 100-year period.

The industry is also responsible for the release of greenhouse gases through feed production, transportation of animals and emissions released by the slaughter process.

As forests are destroyed, soil is degraded, water reserves are depleted and large volumes of greenhouse gases are released, animal agriculture is having a devastating effect on our already struggling climate. This means that if current climate goals are to be met, there needs to be significant change in the way meat is consumed.

Why Is Meat Bad for Climate Change?
When protein sources are compared based on their greenhouse gas emissions, beef ranks the highest. The production of just 100 grams of protein from beef is responsible for the release of 49.89 kilograms of carbon dioxide. It also produces methane and nitrous oxide, which are even more powerful in trapping heat than carbon dioxide, when measured over decades.

Meat Industry Environmental Impact Statistics
• Over 88 billion land animals are raised and slaughtered for food production every year.
• The animal agricultural industry is responsible for at least 16.5 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions.
• Despite the scale of its environmental impact, animal agriculture only provides 18 percent of the calories from global food production.
• Of the greenhouse gas emissions from livestock, 44 percent are in the form of methane and 29 percent in the form of nitrous oxide.
• Livestock farming currently occupies more than a third of the world’s habitable land area.
• Depending on the type, it can take between 5,000 and 20,000 liters of water to produce 1 kilogram of meat.
• Producing 1 kilogram of beef requires 25 kilograms of grain and 15,000 liters of water.

3 Likes

I took the backroads (country lanes) to avoid the constant traffic jams (why, when everyone is working from home?) a nine mile country lane journey, in the fields I did not see one cow or sheep, saw a couple of horses.

1 Like

Hi Chelsea brilliant posts

Sadly there are people out there willing to bury here head in the sand when it comes to
Global warming causes and affects of climate change .

3 Likes

Maybe you live in an area of arable farming or maybe the farmer is growing a hay crop .
Fields have to rotated to allow the grass to grow . Just because you didn’t see a cow or sheep doesn’t mean there aren’t any .

1 Like

Absolutely Spitty, I’ve just cycled 15 miles on some very nice country roads out in the sticks, and the majority of fields were either pasture or paddock where people from the wealthy village of Sykehouse go to ride their horses. There should be crops in those fields just like there used to be but money means they can use the land for riding the many horses that are stabled in the vicinity…If you want to cut down on animal feed and emissions you could start with dogs and horses which do not contribute to food production and actually number more than cows around here.

I notice Chelsea hails from North America of which I have no knowledge so unfortunately I can’t comment on the farming situation over there, I understand that Americans do have a passion for meat based products so farming would be a different kettle of fish…Or beef steak, in America. I’ve spent my whole life in a farming community, although not a farmer, I live and breathe the open spaces and am very aware of the needs of cattle and the ever changing state of the fields here. If people spent less time listening to propaganda from the MSM and more time out in the country they would realise they are being brainwashed and told a load of old codswallop.

There are none so blind …………

No sheep or cows here either Muddy, except a small wandering herd on the riverbank keeping the grass from overgrowing. Plenty of hay being produced here also, for the many stables situated in the area. Nearer to home and just up the lane, there are fields of oil seed, potatoes and corn/barley, I spotted some sugar beet further down the lane…But by far the biggest incursion are the 300 houses scheduled to be built at the top of the lane…And in the next village, over a thousand new houses are almost completed on fields that once grew crops. And still the migrants come here with no sign of abatement, I wonder where the new hospital and schools will be situated. Not on land that has currently been utilized for a massive Amazon warehouse. Because we are on a junction of several motorways…A1 - M1 - M18 and M181 and our own airport, our council thought it would be a good idea to site lots of huge storage facilities in and around Doncaster. Unfortunately the airport closed, and they’ve just spent umpteen million quid in legal fees to obtain a compulsory purchase order on ‘Peel’ the owners. And you and Chelsea, among others, think releasing a bit of methane, CO2 and nitrous oxide into the atmosphere is our priority…you must be mad!

Burying ones head in the sand is preferable to be taken for a sucker and believing the massive con that we could actually change the climate…
:laughing: