Cheeky devil

Indeed they’re not as I know from personal experience.
The debate about greys vs reds is a contentious one and while there is no doubt whatsoever that grey squirrels are not a native species and that grey squirrels can cause some problems to reds, nobody has been able to satisfactorily explain why greys and reds have lived side-by-side in some areas for many years.
Likwise it is now widely accepted that pine martens can encourage red squirrel populations as in Wales.

We in the UK spent centuries hunting red squirrels, to the point of extinction.
Even though greys aren’t native, haven’t we learned more by now than having to resort to killing these gorgeous and innocent animals on sight?

1 Like

We’ve got all kinds of squirrels where we live and I’ve heard of any squirrels being superior and the others needing destroying.

Anyone serious birders who are feeding them will get their fair share of squirrels. We sure did.
We bought specific bird feeders for specific seeds and specific birds. This cut down on squirrels but they are determined cheeky things.

On YouTube there are all kinds of videos of bird feeders going round in circles where the squirrel finally goes flying off.

They come back. Then there are baffles. They usually manage to get the food so we did what others do and fed them separately. Shelled nuts being one of their favourites. It solved the problem of getting annoying with them stealing the bird seed. They are fun to watch too.

I’ve got to admit though that their attempts have given us much entertainment

No Problem - Woodland Trust say:

The introduction of grey squirrels has had a disastrous impact on the UK’s only native squirrel species, the red squirrel. Greys compete with reds for food and also carry a virus known as squirrelpox. While greys are actually immune to the disease, they transmit it to reds, for whom it is fatal. The UK’s only viable populations of red squirrels are in places where greys are rare or absent.

Grey squirrels can also affect the composition of native woodland by bark stripping and eating the seeds of certain trees. In parts of the country, the species is culled to protect red squirrels and mitigate its damaging impact.

I have cut back the catnip for this year and one of my squirrel friends has taken advantage of the situation.
Apologies for the quality as I took through a window rather hurriedly.

Maybe I should try one of them for our squirrels and then they might stop digging hundreds of little holes in my lawn!
:rofl:

Especially for the numpty that feels all grey squirrels should be killed.

I am that numpty … :071:

1 Like

Make that 2 of us numpties … :071: :071:

1 Like
2 Likes

3 Likes

Lovely photo @MrFraggle67, he looks well fed too! :smiley:

1 Like

They certainly are.

4 Likes

Chubby Squirrels! I learned yesterday that the large clumps of leaves and sticks that I see in trees (and which I thought were failed birds nests) are - or could be - squirrel nests, which are called dreys. Fun fact of the day :+1:

One of my lot enjoying some Utterly Butterly.

2 Likes

This is one of my cat visitors, Buttons, up close and personal with one of my visiting squirrels.
First half of the video was shot through a closed window but after opening it to have a word with Buttons another squirrel came up to the feeder.

3 Likes

I like how Buttons is trying to be so nonchalant about them, yet keeping a close eye out! :smiley:

3 Likes

3 Likes

He/she is not daft , I like Squirrels .

I like squirrels as well. There was one on his own in my garden, but now it seems he has found himself a lady friend, and they scurry up and over the branches so fast, I can’t catch them on camera - yet!