Cheeky devil

Totally agree, why anyone should think it is fine to avocate killing any animal on a public forum is disgusting and so he is blocked forever.

3 Likes

We have red squirrels here and they are often in our garden. We have walnut trees and guess other delicacies, they come in mainly from the woods opposite and they are cheeky little rascals.They just make me feel fortunate so have deer roaming and owls hooting in the early mornings and then our birds called Hoopoeā€™s appear in the Spring nesting nearby every year, just for a few weeks we see them, and the noises they make ā€¦there is nothing like itā€¦Deep breatheā€¦

2 Likes

@DianneWoollie where are you in the world as that sounds idyllic?

2 Likes

They look goodā€¦put a few raisins and sultanas with them and I will pinching thoseā€¦love Fruit and Nutsā€¦

2 Likes

Not as cheap as peanuts but what the hell?

2 Likes

I am in a commune called Montalembert about an hour South of Poitiers and and hour + in from La Rochelleā€¦Very Rural and very peacefulā€¦We do have groups, every now and then, which will go out into the woods to shoot wild pigs mainlyā€¦deer get to loose their lives as wellā€¦They are well within the laws here and we would never see the reasonsā€¦they say culling is necessaryā€¦whateverā€¦

1 Like

France then, sounds very nice indeed.

1 Like

We like itā€¦we know France very well in our past travels and my Husband yearned for the move and so I was happy to go as wellā€¦not without ups and downs which is natural in a big moveā€¦brekkie now so catch up another timeā€¦take careā€¦

2 Likes

Awwwwwā€¦. What a sin. Poor thing. :pleading_face::unamused:

1 Like

What?
Awww. Thatā€™s a tad harsh.
I hope you were kidding.
ā€¦ prettier , cheekier and lovelier to watch?
What? :anguished:
Some people :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ooh theyā€™re the ones I get for the squirrels too @MrFraggle67 , which I mix with the peanuts, pumpkin seeds and grey striped sunflower seeds that the ones here seem to like.

Sadly no reds here but there were plenty where I lived before moving here.

1 Like

My lot have been known to dump the peanuts out of the feeder on to the floor to get to the better nuts which I then have to sweep up and give to the ground feeders, very spoilt my lot :smiley::smiley:

3 Likes

They used to be all over the UK until the Victorians bought greys over from the USA. Now the reds are only seen in very restricted areas of England. In fact Iā€™ve only seen them on the Isle of Wight.

ā€œThe red squirrel became virtually extinct in Great Britain before greys were introduced (because of habitat loss)ā€

https://www.urbansquirrels.co.uk/the-myth-of-the-evil-grey-squirrel/

I absolutely agree with you ā€¦ and the law is not far behind:

https://www.rsne.org.uk/squirrels-and-law

The red squirrel is a protected species in the UK and is included in Schedules 5 and 6 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (WCA) (amended by the Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000). It is an offence to intentionally kill or injure a red squirrel or intentionally or recklessly damage or destroy any structure or place a red squirrel uses for shelter or protection, or disturb a red squirrel while it occupies such a place.
Therefore you must be very careful about when and where you fell any trees. See the section on felling advice for more detail.

The grey squirrel is regarded as an invasive non-native species following its inclusion under Schedule 9 of the WCA. Grey squirrels are also listed in the IUCN international list of 100 worst invasive non-native species. This highlights the damage that grey squirrels cause to our native flora and fauna; a problem severe enough to be recognised at a level of global significance. As such, the grey squirrel is regarded as a pest species and is afforded no protection under the WCA. Under Schedule 9 of the WCA, it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape.

This means if you trap one, you are obliged to humanely dispatch it. You must not let it go as this act would be illegal.

Anyone who carries out, or knowingly causes or permits any of the above acts to occur could be committing an offence.

:+1:

Thanks for the back up Omah. :+1:

1 Like

The ones with the greasy polesā€¦they are a regular good bird Feeder Bratti, just are made so the birds get a good share of the food as wellā€¦
They are a deterrant not harmful to squirrels, they will go to other feed stationsā€¦

2 Likes

Yes. I understand that.

1 Like

Sounds like simular what Man has already done to this world of oursā€¦
you can always find data about any subject these days to suit oneā€™s case for or against things of lifeā€¦
Cows how about eliminate them and of course the Badgers are deadly appartentlyā€¦Cats spread diseases and god help you if your Pregnantā€¦
this list could be endlessā€¦

1 Like

The photograph I took was in Scotland. And not so rare as you seem to imagine.

1 Like