Cheeky devil

I have been experimenting with different feeders, this one I made with a hanging basket chain and a plastic bowl. Had not had it up an hour when I spotted one of my squirrel friends availing itself of the facilities. :smiley:

11 Likes

is that a grey one or red one Mr fraggle?

Very much a grey as I live in a urban environment, I know that lots of people see greys as a pest, I am not one of them and I have dedicated feeders for my grey squirrel visitors though this one has decided to check out the bird seed.

5 Likes

Ah so he walked straight passed the one labelled Mr GS? - yes wild pet control and training is another skill in itself!

2 Likes

That’s a lovely idea :grinning:

3 Likes

Squirrels are fascinating little creatures!

1 Like

I have around six that visit, I have no idea how most knew to come to my part of the estate as some I have noticed cover a fair distance to get here.

3 Likes

you’ve been scented fraggles - ya a marked man now!! - you may need to build a very big outdoor squiggles enclosure?/

3 Likes

That’s great!
:laughing:
I’ve spent a while this morning chuckling at a grey using our squirrel feeder for the first time, puzzling and then soon working out how the lid lifts up so that it could get to the food that it could see was inside.
I really must try to remember and capture some of this in photo’s like you did with that lovely picture.

3 Likes

@Zaphod Here’s a short video.

That’s the sort of feeder I’ve attached to a tree here and which the newbie squirrel was using.
We’re rural and not in a wooded area but we get squirrels so frequently that a feeder became a necessity if I wanted the bird feeders to survive intact, & I didn’t want a squirrel-proof nut feeder because the woodpeckers couldn’t use those.
I will try to at least take photo’s though I don’t think that mine will turn out anything like as good as yours have.

2 Likes

Mine are taken invariably through a window from my first floor flat, I am pretty rubbish when it comes to taking photos and will only be happy with one out of five.

As far as I’m concerned, all grey and black squirrels should be shot on sight. Our indigenous red squirrels are prettier, cheekier, and lovelier to watch.

Time for the big guns. Grease the pole lol they are smart and agile…

Well, that’s a bit harsh Mr PV!

1 Like

Might be, but if you could ask what the reds wanted I’m sure they’d support me. Greys and blacks carry a killer pox.

And my first ignore, they may well not be indigenous but then they are hardly to blame for being here and they have adjusted to living here especially in the urban enviroment than the reds ever would have. Interesting program yesterday which featured both types of squirrel yesterday.
Anyway they are welcome in my garden.

2 Likes

They’re still here…

1 Like

Every couple of days or so my squirrel friends get the finest mixed nuts my local Lidl has to offer.

5 Likes

I thought what a horried thing to say about a creature…whatever brings on those thoughts actually disgusts me…
Our original Neigbours, elderly friendly but I soon discovered he had an inbuilt hate for squirrels. His garden was higher than ours and one day I was down on the driveway and he came out with a gun and tried to shoot a squirrel…the only thing was I was also in the firing line and it just went over my head…To say he got my tongue was putting it mild…It did not stop at that though, and he still had the front to converse with me… he moaned about animals digging up his garden, and I said I think your’ll find it is Man that is destroying this world of ours…That is the real issue here and people like him shooting would be too good.
My love for animals, all creatures great and small out weights what anybody else thinks…

3 Likes