Brexit has completely failed for UK, say clear majority of Britons – poll

Foxy’s right, at the start of this process, you had to wonder just how many years it would take to unpick the domino effect of all the joint legislation that would have represented a true Brexit.

2 Likes

We skirted the S*it or Bust phase.

1 Like

That was something David Cameron should have been aware of before selecting the voters to get him off the hook. A no vote did just that, vote to leave had not been on his agenda.

Still a stupid boy.

[Quote]
Having called a referendum purely to try to settle an ongoing Tory civil war that has continued virtually unabated for the last seven years, having risked his country’s economy and influence and security (his words) by calling and then incompetently losing that referendum, then having wandered off humming and spending seven years making money, David swans back to the Foreign Office to take a good look at how bad things have got.

If he had said to the Committee, “It is far worse than even I feared, we are a laughing stock, our influence is diminished and we are less secure, poorer and permanently on the outside looking in”, you might think more of the man.

But apparently it is nothing to do with Dave – he is the impartial witness to someone else’s crime. He just wishes to serve, to make the best of a bad job.

God, this noblesse oblige can be a right pain sometimes, but it can make life more interesting. Especially for those stuck sulking in a field, in a shepherd’s hut.
[Unquote]

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing one of the elements of your vision of a proper Brexit. You do realise that you are proposing a regressive concept to roll back decades of development of efficient supply chains? These supply chains have brought down prices, kept inflation low for decades, kept supermarket shelves full of an incredible variety of foods, delivered foods all the year round, and reduced the risk of shortages due to local bad growing seasons. This would be replaced by expensive, home grown turnips and potatoes, most of the time. It was good enough for England in the war and that’s the England we so fondly remember.

Not that it matters since every Brexit thread I’ve ever seen looks identical, but this thread isn’t about whether Brexit has been good for the UK. It’s just about a recent poll taken that says that a majority of people surveyed in the UK think it failed.

The thread about Brexit benefits is this one, started in Sept. 2022 and last posted in October 2023.

Any Brexit thread will wander and always give rise to an endless discussion. Same as it would have done if we were still in the EU and the heading was, ‘The majority of Britons think it was a complete mistake to stay in the EU’.

1 Like

I suspect that you raise a key point - was leaving the EU a necessary cathartic action to address the anti-EU sentiments that existed and that were being actively stoked by so many politicians? Had the vote gone the other way, especially if by such a tight margin, then the anti-EU rhetoric would have been greatly amplified. And the promises of a brighter future outside the EU would have been unchallenged by reality.

is that the only benefit you can think of?

financially you might find any money has already been wasted

I usually buy best quality baby tomatoes on the vine in the supermarket every week. There was the choice of imported Spanish or home-grown. I like to support the home market where possible so I bought the British ones. They actually looked and tasted just as good. The trouble being that they cost twice the price. Probably not surprising with the energy needed in winter to grow them.

Even so, it proves that we can grow out of season. If it can be done with tomatoes, why not other fruit and veg? It couldn’t be done in the war years but it maybe could in these days of huge polytunnels, greenhouses. Also the knowledge we now have about hydroponics and plant nutrients. If done on a larger scale with more research regarding heating, I think there could be a way forward towards more self-sufficiency in the foods we currently import.

I know, I’m an unrealistic optimistic dreamer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I look at the title of this thread and combine it with your statement then my conclusion is: clear majority of Britons are remainers. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Ha ha! If you say so :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Okay, okay, I needed to bend the logic a little bit… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for confirming my point. Now imagine the reaction across the country if everyone’s weekly shop went up in price - just because of legislation banning EU imports.

No problem as long as everybody believes R.Sunaks “halving the inflation” pledges and as long as most people do not realize that prices just increase a bit slower with smaller inflation.
Halving inflation just sounds so promising if Joe public does not understand what it actually means.

1 Like

From the article, the absurd rule is:
“Partly because of EU rules, government procurement policies banned departments from telling one another about their experiences with a given supplier or system, lest it should prejudice future buying decisions or disadvantage new suppliers.”
I like the word ‘partly’. That is as vague as it gets, isn’t it? What are the other parts?
I also note that the new bill allows ‘direct procurement’ decisions. Sounds a bit like PPE for the coming years. Frost and his cronies will be working out what direct procurement they can benefit from… step up Michelle Mone. The trough is now open.

1 Like

Made you look, made you stare, made you lose your underwear :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very often I heard the term “rule maker”. Hovever the article puts the UK in a light of having been a kind of “EU victim” during its membership instead of being a “rule maker”.
And I always thought the UK helped making the “absurd” EU rules. How naive of me :see_no_evil:

Correct the UK made majority of the Employee legislation that Maree praised the EU for and is now trying to say that we’ll get rid of, if we were don’t you think we would have already.

2 Likes