Brexit has completely failed for UK, say clear majority of Britons – poll

Any Brexit thread will wander and always give rise to an endless discussion. Same as it would have done if we were still in the EU and the heading was, ‘The majority of Britons think it was a complete mistake to stay in the EU’.

1 Like

I suspect that you raise a key point - was leaving the EU a necessary cathartic action to address the anti-EU sentiments that existed and that were being actively stoked by so many politicians? Had the vote gone the other way, especially if by such a tight margin, then the anti-EU rhetoric would have been greatly amplified. And the promises of a brighter future outside the EU would have been unchallenged by reality.

is that the only benefit you can think of?

financially you might find any money has already been wasted

I usually buy best quality baby tomatoes on the vine in the supermarket every week. There was the choice of imported Spanish or home-grown. I like to support the home market where possible so I bought the British ones. They actually looked and tasted just as good. The trouble being that they cost twice the price. Probably not surprising with the energy needed in winter to grow them.

Even so, it proves that we can grow out of season. If it can be done with tomatoes, why not other fruit and veg? It couldn’t be done in the war years but it maybe could in these days of huge polytunnels, greenhouses. Also the knowledge we now have about hydroponics and plant nutrients. If done on a larger scale with more research regarding heating, I think there could be a way forward towards more self-sufficiency in the foods we currently import.

I know, I’m an unrealistic optimistic dreamer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I look at the title of this thread and combine it with your statement then my conclusion is: clear majority of Britons are remainers. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Ha ha! If you say so :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Okay, okay, I needed to bend the logic a little bit… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for confirming my point. Now imagine the reaction across the country if everyone’s weekly shop went up in price - just because of legislation banning EU imports.

No problem as long as everybody believes R.Sunaks “halving the inflation” pledges and as long as most people do not realize that prices just increase a bit slower with smaller inflation.
Halving inflation just sounds so promising if Joe public does not understand what it actually means.

1 Like

From the article, the absurd rule is:
“Partly because of EU rules, government procurement policies banned departments from telling one another about their experiences with a given supplier or system, lest it should prejudice future buying decisions or disadvantage new suppliers.”
I like the word ‘partly’. That is as vague as it gets, isn’t it? What are the other parts?
I also note that the new bill allows ‘direct procurement’ decisions. Sounds a bit like PPE for the coming years. Frost and his cronies will be working out what direct procurement they can benefit from… step up Michelle Mone. The trough is now open.

1 Like

Made you look, made you stare, made you lose your underwear :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very often I heard the term “rule maker”. Hovever the article puts the UK in a light of having been a kind of “EU victim” during its membership instead of being a “rule maker”.
And I always thought the UK helped making the “absurd” EU rules. How naive of me :see_no_evil:

Correct the UK made majority of the Employee legislation that Maree praised the EU for and is now trying to say that we’ll get rid of, if we were don’t you think we would have already.

2 Likes

You’re right I was looking at Tory Manifestos for the elections held since the 1970s and a good number of them boast about how the Tory Government was able to make, direct and improve EU Legislation during their time in office.

1 Like

There seems to be quite a lot of people from other countries, or who work in other countries, telling us Brits what we should do and how to think…Isn’t this the reason why we voted to exit the EU?

3 Likes

To be honest I have no opinion on the idea that the UKs government might want to reduce/remove/diminish workers rights. I cannot imagine a good reason for that.
On the other hand, R. Sunak said in an interview that being in the ECHR is a problem for the gov “to achieve our objectives”.
As I said, I cannot imagine a good reason to do so. Hovever in UKs politics many things have happened which “surprised” me, to say the least.

1 Like

Don’t these efficient supply chains fly in the face of reducing CO2 ? Surley, growing things close to the customer is more effective at saving energy, less pollution and a fresher product with less preservatives. If demand was great enough, the price would come down rapidly. Not to mention the extra employment it would provide. Obviously, the EU want us to be reliant on EU supplies, because while we are reliant, they are still in control. Think Blackmail…
Our roads are full of German vehicles, wouldn’t it be great if our motor sales people dealt direct with the manufacturer instead of having to waste money going through the middle man that is the EU. Businesses are paying a high price for the wages, perks, expenses of MEP’s and premises for the extravagant white elephant that the EU really is. The Brits realised this and voted out. Come on you Europeans, keep up and realise you are being taken for fools…

2 Likes

The ECHR is nothing to do with the EU, so don’t know why you’re mentioning that and that’s a completely different subject.

2 Likes

I’m sure these people didn’t realise the tremendous influence they exert on the UK.

Yeah, far better just to do what the USA tells you, isn’t it?