Assisted suicide ! The right/to Die

I feel sorry for your dear friend and you also. :disappointed_relieved:
Her fate and condition are another good example for the claim that it must be a persons own right do decide on ending her life.

3 Likes

Yes that is why we have checks and controls and tight criteria.

it isnt a reason to not have option there at all.

3 Likes

Off the record July…I think it already happens, I have witnessed it… :shushing_face:

1 Like

You have witnessed what exactly?

and where?

VAD is not yet legal in UK - which your profile shows is where you live.

1 Like

I did say it was off the record July. I’m not saying it’s legal, but it happens. I’m not prepared to post details of how I know on the internet. :009:

1 Like

Very sad susan , ive been told , that peoples end of life wishes and DNRs (do not resuscitate ) are completely;ignored if the family are away…
as the drs say …”we are not here let die , only to keep alive “
Which i guess is quite understandable ,

1 Like

Ive also heard that foxy

1 Like

I’m sure quite a few doctors think that way - which is a pity as its a very narrow definition of the role of a doctor. What about relieving pain, misery and lack of hope? Might these things also be the role of a doctor?

To be honest L , i have no faith in any of the medical team, be it drs , nurses , or surgeons, and i never have ,
My medical file will be 2pages full, as i dont frequent any of them unless really necessary ……
I can count on one hand the times ive been to the drs , in the past 20 yrs

1 Like

If I might congratulate you on your good health - but add one note of caution. There may be a time when you really, really need medical intervention and nothing else will help. Change your mind about the medical profession at that point. Until then - stay well and healthy!

I have had many wrong diagnosis L,
And bad effects from operations in my youth , so i will try and stay away as long as possible …

So you are saying Drs administered something to do VAD off the record.

Of course unsubstantiated since you cannot give details.

But I would think all the more reason to have VAD legally available for those people who meet defined criteria.

Unsubstantiated or not I just thought it was relevant to this topic.
Wouldn’t want folk to get into trouble. I think it was the right thing to do at the time.

1 Like

I think that this is exactly the point. Individual doctors might (not certain, not always) decide that a kind overdose of something like morphine would not just help alleviate suffering but in fact put the patient to sleep. This is probably quite common if the patient is already on morphine.
However it is also rubbish. There is no consistency and it is solely one doctors judgement. Worse, the patient is almost certainly at the point of no recovery and likely to have gone through much suffering and indignity to get to that point.

Or Humanist. That only lasts. A Lifetime ! :wink:

2 Likes

That would be harder to d o than some people think.

Certainly in Australia morphine and co are strictly accounted for - meaning each ampoule must be witnessed and recorded in all settings - it would not be easy to just give a large extra amount.

Hm, at least for atheists the question of “who plays god” is off the table. With humanists not necessarily so I think.

“Who Plays God” >>> Thinking.

1 Like

My husband was given morphine=, a few years back for his pain , i could of given him whatever i liked i guess
But the mls he was meant to have , didnt ease the pain and left him like a zombie , so soon stopped giving it to him

1 Like

You missed the point Frank, the question wasn’t really about religion. It was more about who decides…

1 Like