Anything to do with wild birds

I’m sure they will, my garden is very private and sheltered, it’s a haven for wildlife ,Logan,…I’ve had many blue tits and robins today…I haven’t seen my usual Blackbirds…I’ve also got frogs in my two ponds.

1 Like

Still not feeding the garden birds here, still got rats. Neighbours haven’t stopped & the rats stay. We used to get a good variety of birds here.
Some photo’s from when I did feed the birds.
Starling.

Robin.

Partridge.

Yellowhammer.

Two Greenfinches & a Siskin.
007-10
Sparrowhawk, male.
P1050361(1)
Mr & Mrs Blackcap.
P1060876(1)
Goldfinches.
P1060939(1)
Grey Heron. it ate all the goldfish.

5 Likes

Beautiful birds, Tiffany.

I have a rat problem too. I hate the things.
My next door neighbour keeps a few hens and the rats get in to his hen feeders.

Pest control told me they are inundated with rat problems at the mo, they said there is a glut of them.
Today I counted 5 bait stations dotted around outside my doctor’s pharmacy! :astonished:

3 Likes

I am still in Australia and yesterday one of the king parrots came and ate out of my hand such confident birds .

1 Like

How lovely Muddy.
Bet you were thrilled, lucky girl.

1 Like

Thanks, Mups.
There are bait stations all around our local McD’s & the KFC. The last hotel we went to had them as well. Rats have been a problem for years. I don’t like the thought of killing them that way, it’s a horrible painful death.
I think they are getting in under the floor in the sun lounge, luckily no access to the house but I can hear something scrabbling about in the sun lounge walls & under the floor, sounds of chewing too. Not all the time, but I am pretty certain under our patio is riddled with tunnels. Can’t see any holes in the garden though where they could be getting into places. I don’t hate rats, Son used to have tame ones, but when/if they breed, you suddenly get over run with the pesky creatures. We’ve had that too. Baby rats all over the garden in daylight. They can spread disease too & no way of knowing if the rats you see are healthy.

1 Like

Just been out to do the bird and squirrel feeders very nippy this morning especially when all you have on are your Jim jams. :smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing everyone, lovely pics,Tiff…

I watched a suet ball maker tutorial on YouTube, you don’t even have to melt the lard ,Logan, I watched David Domoney ,you just squish the lard, with all the goodies that you want to add to the suet ball…shape into a ball, …plenty of YouTube turtorials,if anyone is interested…I will make mine, once the birds have finished,what I’ve already put out for them.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I used to make my own but found it was very messy and a bit of a faff and could be quite expensive. B&M’s do some great fat balls which my lot seem to love.

3 Likes

Yes, it did look rather messy ,David made them with 2 children, I will give it a go…it will be interesting to watch , as I will buy some premium suet balls from my local garden centre,B@Q is to far away, I would have gone there first,…I will put one of the bought ones out and my homemade one…be interesting to see which is their fav.

Sorry,I thought it read B@Q…what does B & M stand for?

2 Likes

It is actually the name of the stores.

4 Likes

I noticed I had a box of Atora suet left so thought I would use it to make some seed cakes.

Melting suet.

Seeds

Added peanut halves.

Bit of a mix.

Half coconuts and a thing with perches I have just knocked up.

Pop these in the fridge until tomorrow,

4 Likes

They look great!..never thought to reuse my empty coconut halves, can you show us a pic of when they are hanging up outside?

Great tips there, thanks Mt F,:+1::+1::+1:

Do you leave that tub with the perch on it, as it is?..where do you place it Outside?

They have certainly got a lovely feast there,:heartpulse:

2 Likes

No I cut the plastic cup off.
I used to use plastic cups that you can buy pretty much anywhere but I spotted this in a cupboard and had some aluminium poles and some string and this is what I come up with.

This is one I put up for my squirrels but I note the Starlings also use it.

One I hang in a neighbours apple tree.

And one next to the big feeder there is a bush beside this but of course being winter it has no leaves but the birds are still happy with the position.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for that, Mr F.:+1:

I bought a sunflower seed feeder this morning to try and attract birds other than the usual sparrows, blue tits, robins, and black birds.

1 Like

I was wrong about the Blackbird, she’s sat tight on the nest , just happened to see her from the window.

Try as I might couldn’t get her in focus.

2 Likes

I had a few beautiful finches here today…:heartpulse:…still no sign of my nuthatches.:worried:

There were three Blackcaps in the Buddleia this afternoon, looking for insects or maybe seeds, I haven’t cut it back yet, may not now, anyway an argument broke out between two males, the female just flew off. No idea where the other female was. They are usually in pairs now.

1 Like