Anything to do with wild birds

Have you noticed, some are starting to build nests?

I have started to feed the wild birds again, I also bought a window wild bird feeder.

Does anyone have one?..as of yet, they haven’t been in it, put it out a few days back.

Have you any nesting box’s in your garden?

I bought one from Wilco, I hope they build a nest in it this year.

Please share about how you help the wild bird life in your garden, ?

3 Likes

I have three feeders in the communal garden which are topped up 365 days of the year, I also supply nesting material in the form of straw, I also hang up half coconuts filled with a mixture of peanut butter and seeds. I give my lot fat balls as well. I also have squirrel feeder which is also topped up daily.

With smaller birds it helps if you put the feeders near trees or bushes as they are usually skittish and like to have cover.

3 Likes

Bit of info on where to place nesting boxes.

3 Likes

My garden has just started to,grow, it’s like a small forest ,once it takes hold,

this is the area I feed them in, plus my window feeder.
Well protected from predators.

2 Likes

It took me quite a few attempts at placing the bird box in the right place…this is the perfect position, I think I’ve had 3 families of blue tits nesting in these box’s, they didn’t nest last year, as the box was very old, so I bought this new one, a little while back at Wilco, it was the only one left on the shelf.

I’m going to cut that creeping hydrangea back today, so it doesn’t disturb the nesting box, that stuff grows like crazy.

2 Likes

When we had the stormy weekend a Blackbird was building a nest in a shrub just outside the dining room window, she abandoned it soon after.

2 Likes

I’ve had a thread about it before but the Cuckoos are moving away from their wintering grounds, so the Swallows will have left S Africa by now.

3 Likes

I didn’t even know cuckoos migrated! This site you shared is fascinating, thanks @caricature :+1:

2 Likes

Last year we started to put up a niger seed feeder beside our other feeders.For over a month, it just hung there. ignored. Then one goldfinch turned up. That goldfinch must have told its mates because then a second, a third and now a veritable charm of goldfinches swarm the feeders (we now have three) every day, emptying them within hours.
Job done!

4 Likes

Its bath time for this Pigeon, now drying out

4 Likes

I have a bird bath in the garden, it’s full of leaves and green fungus, I will be cleaning that out later ,as the pigeons may like to bathe in it.

The tiny birds have a brick they stand on in the pond, the water just overlaps the brick, they love it, sadly I’ve had a few babies found in my pond dead…they nest in the large ivy, that is right next to the pond.

2 Likes

We inherited 3 nest boxes, all attached to the back fence at the bottom of the back garden. One was used by a pair of blue tits last year to raise 2 broods.

We have 3 feeders hanging on one of the trees close to the bungalow that are getting a right royal hammering from hedge and house sparrows, blue tits, robins, and blackbirds. The fat ball feeder is empty atm - I only filled it on Saturday last.

3 Likes

I’m discovering a lot of squirrels in my garden, which is kindof putting paid to any bird feeder plans I had…unless I can barricade them up somehow. I’m still doing research on it. I don’t mind feeding the squirrels (although they are very itchy and scratchy, it seems, so I don’t want fleas) but I’d like to encourage the smaller birds round my way too.

I saw this thread and thought it was about wild women.

2 Likes

Do we have any on here? :thinking:

2 Likes

I only bought my feeders a few days back, I had a couple of wild birds visit, before I know it, I’ve got about a dozen on the feeders, none in the window feeder as of yet…:worried:

I have one nest box and it’s in the back garden at the back. Always have blue tits in there. Got 3 seed feeders on a wooden bird table. I put sunflower hearts in them and the goldfinches like them very much but make a lot of mess on the floor but other birds eat it. Do get a squirrel come to visit sometimes but it doesn’t hurt the birds. On the table I put a mixed table seed on it with some oats.
I get sparrows, robins, black birds, blue tits, great tits, collared doves, wood pigeons and sometimes I see a wren.

2 Likes

Logan, I have noticed that the birds are becoming very selective in what they eat, when I last fed them, they wouldn’t eat the wild bird seed, but they love the sunflower seeds, also the cheap fat balls, they wouldn’t touch those either, so it all went mouldy.

I’ve bought some premium tasty pellets , sunflower hearts and a half coconut with some fat inside it, it must be tasty, because it’s gone so quickly.

2 Likes

Pauline if they’re being like that I wouldn’t put so many options out, I do that with the sunflower hearts, I only fill them once a week to eat the rest, the goldfinches are so messy so I leave the feeders empty so the others will eat it. I only put fat balls out in the winter then can change to the pellets or just the seed. I never used to put fats out because of the starlings but don’t get them anymore. I have made my own bird cake with lard and seeds, the robins and blue tits like it.

2 Likes

I haven’t been filling them up, like you say, as it will only go to waste,:+1::+1:

2 Likes