Anything to do with wild birds

:+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Logan, how do you make your own bird cake?..:slightly_smiling_face:

Do you buy a tub of lard and just add nuts, fruit,etc, or do you do it another way?

Is it cheaper than buying it over the counter?

2 Likes

I have fed the wild birds for quite a few years now, and find different birds take different seeds. Smaller seed mixes for the Wrens, Sparrows, Tits, etc, while the larger birds will take the wheat, sunflower seeds and bigger suet pellets and so on.

I usually buy a mix - I find the Peckish brand pretty good - then blend in a few extras of my own, like currants, suet pellets, chopped nuts, and dried mealworms, that way there is something for everyone’s tastes.
I also give them clean water every day.

Lastly, I never, ever leave food out overnight. It is a rat’s paradise!
I use earthenware dishes instead of the tubular feeders, and that way i can put out fresh seed each morning, and in smaller amounts which will be all eaten up before dark.

I dont use the lard/seed blocks any more, as I dont want my dogs to eat the bits of fat the birds drop.

1 Like

I just love watching my wild birds feed…going to clean the ground today, where all the seed drops,…gets a bit messy there…I saw an unusual coloured bird yesterday, it looked like one of those finches, I used to also get nuthatches feeding in the past…their very timid beautiful wild birds.

1 Like

Spotted this beauty yesterday and managed to get a couple of poor images of it. I have suspected I had a Sparrow hawk in the area but was not absolutely sure but it does explain seeing what looks like pigeon feathers on the ground on occasion.

7 Likes

Wow,…what a fantastic picture of that sparrow hawk, we have a few around here.

1 Like

Love that photo! How lucky are you to capture that. I see a few buzzards around here but nothing worthy of photographing yet.

1 Like

When out on the dog walk this morning, three lesser spotted Woodpeckers were in a tree making a racket, suspect it was probably two males and a female.

3 Likes

This was one in our previous garden:

5 Likes

I hope you get to see them soon! I do like woodpeckers!

1 Like

He looks like he’s feeding a huge family :joy:

2 Likes

They were in the woods away from where I live, but we’ve had them around here on cold winter days.

2 Likes

Yes. And this a fat pig from the same fence post!

4 Likes

Awww, he looks lovely too! :+1:

1 Like

These are one of my favourite wild birds, the beautiful Nuthatch.

They were always visiting my garden at one time.

3 Likes

I melt the lard in a dish in the microwave then add anything that you want until the fat is absorbed, then let put it in something or let it set to give to the birds, it’s cheaper.

2 Likes

Or I could melt the lard in a saucepan…I will do that, then add their favourite fruit and nuts, I will post a pic once I’ve made it,:+1::+1:

1 Like

They’re beautiful, you could put bird cake in those holes, I haven’t had those in my garden

2 Likes

They were taken from YouTube,Logan, I had these birds in the past, that’s not my garden, …it’s a YouTube channel on my TV.

I’m hoping they come back, now that I’ve started feeding the birds again.especially when they start having young, that’s when I noticed they visited my garden more…I’ve been all over the place with feeding the birds…I had rats as well, which put me right off…I’ve just started seriously feeding them again.

1 Like

Oh I see, yes I hope that they come back for you.

2 Likes